180 replies to this topic

#121 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

So what you're saying is, we can expect another year like this one next season?

Joy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

personally, I value the ~20 years in which he tried and successfully built a playoff team more than the 2 years (3 including this one) he came up short. If you want to put more stock in those 2 years, go ahead, but I will never bet against Lou, and I guarantee you by doing so I'll come out ahead way more often than not.

#122 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Well, at least Lou saw this inevitable collapse coming and got some pieces back for some Vets and expiring contracts.  Can you imagine if we were going into next season with this horrible logjam on D still present?

..... :doh1:

Really what did Lou do besides screw up this team?

#123 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

personally, I value the ~20 years in which he tried and successfully built a playoff team more than the 2 years (3 including this one) he came up short. If you want to put more stock in those 2 years, go ahead, but I will never bet against Lou, and I guarantee you by doing so I'll come out ahead way more often than not.

Most of the groundwork for whatever success we've had in the last 10 years was laid in the first 15.   He's had some good trades in recent years (Schneider, Kovy and even Zid) but our best players were already established (MB, Elias and Parise drafted) prior to Lou's decline and helped cover up the mess he's been for quite some time.  Drafting and development has been non-existent for years, free agency is usually a disaster, etc.    

Edited by Lateralous, 19 March 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#124 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

I very much so respect what he's done for this organization.

To keep it simple, let's say I'm especially wary of keeping people around because of their legacies after watching this Marty fiasco unfold.

Drafting and development has been non-existent for years, free agency is usually a disaster, etc.    

Bingo.  I don't consider Lou a good F/A GM, and drafting has been surprisingly awful for the past..what..decade?

Edited by Devilsfan118, 19 March 2014 - 03:07 PM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#125 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Every GM signs a couple of terrible FA contracts.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#126 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

This team really does piss me off, I appreciate that they work their butts off most nights but they are just not good. Marty's ego needs to leave this franchise now. Our best players are Jagr Elias Zidlicky and they are goddamn dinosaurs. I love the guy but Zubrus is completely shot, he is still a dependable guy but should only be in the bottom 9. You have embarrassments like Ryder and Brunner who are hard to watch, unskilled grinders such as Gionta and Bernier who need to go. Our future offensively is based on three very mediocre forwards in Henrique Clowe and Zajac. You have a useless old defenseman as a captain with players like Larsson being left in Albany for him. Our defensive prospects are good but our offense is depending on the likes of Boucher and Matteau. All the while we have Cory Scheinder probably thinking 'get me the hell out of here'. This is not a good situation at all, we need him.This team needs a shake up and that starts with #30 going away, get away from the locker room, get away from the franchise and shut your mouth. Thanks for everything but go away until we hang up your number. Scott Stevens and Deboer needs to go. I am done with them. I do like the idea of giving the job to Barr since everything he works on has been solid. Lou Lams, wake up and smell the coffee. You have been terrible. You better somehow get rid of the likes of Salvador Gionta and Ryder. I don't care how but you NEED to infuse this team with young offensive talent. Changes have to be made, give the fans something to be encouraged about because this current squad is just a bunch of bandages. 

believe-zubrus.jpg

#127 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Can you list me 5 F/A's that Lou signed that would be considered "OK" at least?  I'm not talking our own players - perhaps I've had a long day at work and my brain is fried, but I'm seriously having trouble coming up with 5 good contracts that Lou has signed within the past..let's say, 5 years?  Jagr, sure.  Ryder looked good at the time, but he's turned out to be awful.  Same applies to Brunner.

Lou has shown an inability to build through Free Agency.  And he's certainly not doing it through the draft at this point..

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#128 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

This team really does piss me off, I appreciate that they work their butts off most nights but they are just not good. Marty's ego needs to leave this franchise now. Our best players are Jagr Elias Zidlicky and they are goddamn dinosaurs. I love the guy but Zubrus is completely shot, he is still a dependable guy but should only be in the bottom 9. You have embarrassments like Ryder and Brunner who are hard to watch, unskilled grinders such as Gionta and Bernier who need to go. Our future offensively is based on three very mediocre forwards in Henrique Clowe and Zajac. You have a useless old defenseman as a captain with players like Larsson being left in Albany for him. Our defensive prospects are good but our offense is depending on the likes of Boucher and Matteau. All the while we have Cory Scheinder probably thinking 'get me the hell out of here'. This is not a good situation at all, we need him.This team needs a shake up and that starts with #30 going away, get away from the locker room, get away from the franchise and shut your mouth. Thanks for everything but go away until we hang up your number. Scott Stevens and Deboer needs to go. I am done with them. I do like the idea of giving the job to Barr since everything he works on has been solid. Lou Lams, wake up and smell the coffee. You have been terrible. You better somehow get rid of the likes of Salvador Gionta and Ryder. I don't care how but you NEED to infuse this team with young offensive talent. Changes have to be made, give the fans something to be encouraged about because this current squad is just a bunch of bandages.

very well said for the most part.. although i wouldnt mind brodeur again next season as a back up.. i think stevens has done a poor job as a defensive coach since the first day he got the job.. some people are great players but that doesnt mean they translate to good coaches and i think hes a good example of that
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#129 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

I very much so respect what he's done for this organization.

To keep it simple, let's say I'm especially wary of keeping people around because of their legacies after watching this Marty fiasco unfold.

Bingo.  I don't consider Lou a good F/A GM, and drafting has been surprisingly awful for the past..what..decade?

If you take a close look, most of the teams that have consistently picked in the bottom half of the draft have not done particularly well in that department.  You always here how great the Red Wings are, but outside of Nyquist, Franzen, and maybe Brendan Smith, they haven't been setting the world on fire since they lucked out with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Lou has not made a completely off the radar pick since Adrian Foster.   

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#130 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Lou has shown an inability to build through Free Agency.  And he's certainly not doing it through the draft at this point..

Problem is you CANNOT build through FA, you can supplement a good team, maybe find pieces to put you over the top, but you cannot build a winner through FA!. And w/ no farm system thats what LL is stuck trying to do.
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#131 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Can you list me 5 F/A's that Lou signed that would be considered "OK" at least?  I'm not talking our own players - perhaps I've had a long day at work and my brain is fried, but I'm seriously having trouble coming up with 5 good contracts that Lou has signed within the past..let's say, 5 years?  Jagr, sure.  Ryder looked good at the time, but he's turned out to be awful.  Same applies to Brunner.

Give me a list of GMs that signed five free agents that were considered at least OK, not including re-signed players.  Then try to find me a team that has built through free agency?

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#132 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Now that Stevens is here it's going to be tough to get rid of him. I don't think he will storm off in a huff like Messier did...but it's still tough to "reassign" (a gentle firing but non firing) of the guy from legit NHL coach to special assignments coach.

Larry's contract runs out with the Sharks after this season. Shell out the money and get him back here to coach the D

Promote Dave Barr to head coach. 

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#133 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

If you take a close look, most of the teams that have consistently picked in the bottom half of the draft have not done particularly well in that department.  You always here how great the Red Wings are, but outside of Nyquist, Franzen, and maybe Brendan Smith, they haven't been setting the world on fire since they lucked out with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Speaking of Foster, Lou completely screwed the pooch during that 2001 draft. 3 second round picks and not a quality contributor among them. Victor Uchevatov? Guy was overgrown and couldn't skate work a lick. Slow lumbering defenseman in round 2? 

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#134 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Still have my hopes up on him.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#135 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

Now that Stevens is here it's going to be tough to get rid of him. I don't think he will storm off in a huff like Messier did...but it's still tough to "reassign" (a gentle firing but non firing) of the guy from legit NHL coach to special assignments coach.

Larry's contract runs out with the Sharks after this season. Shell out the money and get him back here to coach the D

Promote Dave Barr to head coach. 

Not happening, didn't he move out there to be closer to family?

Posted Image

#136 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Speaking of Foster, Lou completely screwed the pooch during that 2001 draft. 3 second round picks and not a quality contributor among them. Victor Uchevatov? Guy was overgrown and couldn't skate work a lick. Slow lumbering defenseman in round 2? 

It has proven to be real slim pickings after the first half of the first round that year.  Yeah, Patrick Sharp was drafted in the third round, but you can't go too nuts over misses like that.  If it were so obvious that he would be that good, he wouldn't have been drafted in the third round.  Or Philly wouldn't have traded him in the first place.

Posted Image

#137 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

It has proven to be real slim pickings after the first half of the first round that year.  Yeah, Patrick Sharp was drafted in the third round, but you can't go too nuts over misses like that.  If it were so obvious that he would be that good, he wouldn't have been drafted in the third round.  Or Philly wouldn't have traded him in the first place.

but at that time Lou had a reputation for finding diamonds in the rough while other teams ended up with the Igor Pohanka's of the world. Seems like Lou should've pulled a Tyutin or Cammaleri out of that round.

#138 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

36 guys from the 2nd round on played 200 games or more in the nhl. not gonna kill him on that draft

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#139 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

but at that time Lou had a reputation for finding diamonds in the rough while other teams ended up with the Igor Pohanka's of the world. Seems like Lou should've pulled a Tyutin or Cammaleri out of that round.

Those guys certainly turned their teams into world beaters.  sh!t happens sometimes.

Posted Image

#140 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Yes but most also sign some good ones too.  I realize we're never going to be a huge player in the UFA frenzy but seriously what's his best free agent signing since the year long lockout, Zubrus?   Even that was thought to be an overpayment originally.  The scary thing is I would actually consider the Ryder and Brunner signing two of his better ones given limited term and risk.   I guess Jagr would be his best and that's noting more than a temporary patch.  

Also, has any GM ever let as much talent walk out the door with no compensation as Lou has since the year long lockout?  Niedermayer, Rafalski, Gomez, Martin, Parise, Clarkson etc.  Not that I think all of them have been signed or even close to it but there is a disparity between the talent leaving and the talent coming in that needs to be made up somewhere.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users