187 replies to this topic

#41 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

I just remember the Nonis was badly trying to inquire Kiprusoff last season when he had two goalies in Reimer and Scrivens that were much much much much better. That was hilarious. Kipper's numbers were much worse than Brodeur's.

Maybe there is a team or a GM crazy enough.

Unfortunately the Leafs are probably the only team dumb enough to do that and they have Reimer and Bernier now so they're not doing anything. Maybe Edmonton? But they have Bryz and Scrivens so probably not

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#42 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I would really like to see him retire as a Devil. But there is definitely a part of me that's curious as to whether there would even be a trade market for him, and if so, what on earth the Devils would get in return.

#43 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

I don't think LD considers the issue "resolved" until Marty has been thoroughly embarrassed and sent somewhere to lose the remainder of his games. This is pretty much Christmas Eve for him.

Here is what I think. Marty should understand that he isn't what he used to be and that is not just this year. Marty accepted that Cory would be number #1 starter. But Marty couldn't live with not playing. So he complained. Now he is talking about wanting to play more right now and next season. No Marty that is not and shouldn't happen with the Devils and you know it, Marty. So accept what it is or hope some team will take you and make you their starter. I can't imagine some team wanting him as their starter but that is not my decision. Marty is unhappy. I think that is a shame IMO he should have kept his mouth shut and finished the season and retired, period.

#44 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'd consider him an underdog to make it, because he's not going to get many more this year - let's say he wins 3 more games this year.  That gives him 685.  He has to win 15 games next year - he's always an injury risk and any team bad enough to give him consistent starts isn't going to be good enough to get him the 3 goals a game he will need to win games, and he'll need to avoid being an embarrassment.

That's exactly my point. Why end it that way?? Why like this?

Why be remembered as the guy with well over 600 wins, who played nearly 1,300 games?? Dryden is the only goalie in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team. Isn't THAT more important than chasing a round number of victories? Did Wayne come back in 2k because he was only 6 away from 900?? --just silly. The whole thing's silly.

Edited by Beezer34, 10 February 2014 - 12:27 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#45 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Based on their maturity and many of the posts here, most of our fan base was in diapers when Marty was doing everything he'll be remembered for.

THIS is also part of the problem

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

That's exactly my point. Why end it like that way?? Why like this?

Why be remembered as the guy with well over 600 wins, who played nearly 1,300 games?? Dryden is the only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for just 1 team. Isn't THAT more important that chasing a round number of victories? Did Wayne come back in 2k because he was only 6 away from 900?? --just silly. The whole thing's silly.

Where did Marty ever say anything about chasing 700 wins?  I think at this point, he just thinks he might be able to start for someone else.  I don't think he's necessarly obsessed with getting to 700 victories. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

That's exactly my point. Why end it that way?? Why like this?

Why be remembered as the guy with well over 600 wins, who played nearly 1,300 games?? Dryden is the only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team. Isn't THAT more important than chasing a round number of victories? Did Wayne come back in 2k because he was only 6 away from 900?? --just silly. The whole thing's silly.

Dryden the "only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team"...

How about #66...MARIO LEMIEUX?!?!?  I would have to believe there are some others, but that one comes to mind immediately

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Dryden the "only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team"...

How about #66...MARIO LEMIEUX?!?!?  I would have to believe there are some others, but that one comes to mind immediately

I think he meant goalies. 

Speaking of the HOF...I know the waiting period was waived for both Gretzky and Lemieux.  Seems like a longshot, but given that Marty owns so many records, I wonder if the same thing could happen for Marty (probably not). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 10 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I did.

Thanks CR! :thumbsup:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#50 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

beaten to it

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 February 2014 - 12:27 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#51 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Quick research turns up other 1 team for the career HOF'ers (not an all encompassing list, but some more):

Jean Beliveau

Henri Richard

Stan Mikita

JACQUES LEMAIRE!

Bobby Clarke

Would think Joe Sakic would qualify as the Nords/Avs is the same franchise

Quick research turns up other 1 team for the career HOF'ers (not an all encompassing list, but some more):

Jean Beliveau

Henri Richard

Stan Mikita

JACQUES LEMAIRE!

Bobby Clarke

Would think Joe Sakic would qualify as the Nords/Avs is the same franchise

EDIT:  This would be a great trivia question, "Name 4 of the X players to be in the HOF playing for one franchise their whole career"

Speaking of the HOF...I know the waiting period was waived for both Gretzky and Lemieux.  Seems like a longshot, but given that Marty owns so many records, I wonder if the same thing could happen for Marty (probably not). 

Would be nice, but doubtful...

I will 100% be in Toronto for Marty's HOF weekend

#52 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Maybe he doesn't get to start all that much for someone else, but at least somewhere else maybe he has more of a shot to.  Here he has NO shot, barring absolute disaster.

I'd almost want that, to be honest. I'd rather see him sign on with another team and start 55 games, than go be a backup somewhere else. At least then I could understand this whole thing. But you have got to give me SOMETHING. Some sort of reasoning why you'd rather go sign on with another team, if only to be a backup, like you are here.

EDIT: I'd even understand if this whole thing started because of some argument, and\or relationship breakdown between Marty & Lou. Like, if 10 years from now, a tell-all book is written by Marty where it's revealed that he and Lou's relationship became strained when the trade for Schneider happened, and how Marty felt blindsided or whatever.. I'd understand that.

Edited by Beezer34, 10 February 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#53 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thank God all of this sh*t will be over in 63 days.....There won't be any contract & he'll be free to do as he pleases

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

I'd almost want that, to be honest. I'd rather see him sign on with another team and start 55 games, than go be a backup somewhere else. At least then I could understand this whole thing. But you have got to give me SOMETHING. Some sort of reasoning why you'd rather go sign on with another team, if only to be a backup, like you are here.

I mean just this season...I really REALLY hope Marty doesn't try to play again next season (I'd be stunned if he could coax his body through 55 starts, let alone be terribly good for most of them).  But as far as this season goes, like I said, he's got a minimal shot of getting his job back, and the only way it happens is if Schneider gets hurt, or the Devils suck so badly that they figure they have nothing to lose by giving Marty a soyonara victory ride. 

In a way we all should really wait until there's some real declaration to react to.  He may just very well quietly hope for a few more starts before the season's out, then retire...who knows, maybe he'd rather not see that he's only worth a mid-round pick to some team, out of pride's sake.  He's probably still coming to terms with the fact that his career truly is winding down, and that no matter how hard he works or believes in himself, he simply is losing his skills the same way just about all athletes his age do. 

#30 FOREVER!

#55 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

EDIT: I'd even understand if this whole thing started because of some argument, and\or relationship breakdown between Marty & Lou. Like, if 10 years from now, a tell-all book is written by Marty where it's revealed that he and Lou's relationship became strained when the trade for Schneider happened, and how Marty felt blindsided or whatever.. I'd understand that.

not me. wat was lou supposed to do? ride marty without ever finding a successor? marty cant be that stupid to get mad about that.

#56 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

not me. wat was lou supposed to do? ride marty without ever finding a successor? marty cant be that stupid to get mad about that.

..to be fair, this situation was NOT what Brodeur signed up for. He signed his 2-year contract days after Moose signed his. They both signed for the same length. Would Marty have signed on for an additional year had he known that Lou was going to effectively force Hedberg (a very close friend of Marty's) into retirement.. and thus, cut Brodeur's play considerably with the Schneider deal? I'm not suggesting that I agree with this being enough of a reason why Brodeur would be butt-hurt enough to spite Lou. (provided it's even true) But, if it were his reasoning, I could see why he would become volatile.

EDIT: And I don't blame Lou one bit. I am thrilled with the Schneider trade. That's a deal you make imo. I'm just trying to say; don't pish-posh the possibility that Brodeur's feelings could've been hurt throughout these past 7 months.

Edited by Beezer34, 10 February 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#57 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I can't stand to potentially see Marty in a different jersey.   I think Marty really needs to accept he isn't the #1 guy anymore.   All his rivals are retired, all his accomplishments have secured him in the history books.    Marty needs to just enjoy the ride and move on into retirmenet or accept his new role.   I don't think there is a market for him at this point in time, especially in a salary cap era.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#58 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Just some speculation for you all:

William Brodeur ☝ ‏@Freewill_b 21h
New favorite team #gooilers #oilcountry #betterthanthedevils

Tweet from his son. I'm going to go ahead and assume he's a spoiled kid who wants to see Dad play.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#59 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

That's rich. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

..to be fair, this situation was NOT what Brodeur signed up for. He signed his 2-year contract days after Moose signed his. They both signed for the same length. Would Marty have signed on for an additional year had he known that Lou was going to effectively force Hedberg (a very close friend of Marty's) into retirement.. and thus, cut Brodeur's play considerably with the Schneider deal? I'm not suggesting that I agree with this being enough of a reason why Brodeur would be butt-hurt enough to spite Lou. (provided it's even true) But, if it were his reasoning, I could see why he would become volatile.

EDIT: And I don't blame Lou one bit. I am thrilled with the Schneider trade. That's a deal you make imo. I'm just trying to say; don't pish-posh the possibility that Brodeur's feelings could've been hurt throughout these past 7 months.

I'm sure his feelings were hurt.  Sports are largely about hurt feelings when you're not good enough to play anymore.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users