187 replies to this topic

#101 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I don't think Lou deserves any of the blame for guys leaving. Kovalchuk-Parise was Vanderbeek pulling the strings.

It almost resulted in a cup, but it was a boom or bust move. If Lou was in control 100% of the way, Kovy walks, Parise signed long term. Maybe Lou knew of Kovy's flirtation with Russia beforehand (I suspect he did) and did his best to talk Vanderbeek out of it. Once Kovy was signed Parise was a goner. And then Kovy was a goner

Clarkson. Thank god we're not paying him

Rafalski. Wanted to go home. 

Niedermayer. Really wanted to play with his brother. Left money on the table. Can't fault Lou there

Gomez? Eh, not worth it. Decent 1st year with the Rags. Steady career free fall since then.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#102 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

While I don't blame Lou for some of these guys leaving, I feel there could be a better way of finding out their intentions before they hit free agency so we don't lose them for nothing. 

#103 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

While I don't blame Lou for some of these guys leaving, I feel there could be a better way of finding out their intentions before they hit free agency so we don't lose them for nothing. 

Their intentions don't really matter if you are looking at a playoff run. In almost every one of those seasons, the playoffs were a definite or at least a possibility.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#104 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Their intentions don't really matter if you are looking at a playoff run. In almost every one of those seasons, the playoffs were a definite or at least a possibility.

exactly, the same reason why the devils are considered one of the most successful franchises the past quarter century (making the playoffs consistently) is what people are complaining about now. Selling guys like Gomez parise and niedermeyer in their walk years would have been terrible for the team each of those years, even if Lou knew it was guaranteed they would not return I'm glad he held on and went for it. I don't want to be a team always looking toward the future- id rather take a shot when we have it.

#105 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

In the case with Parise, IMO it was pretty obvious what his intentions were when he signed a 1 year deal as an RFA. Who knows what he was telling Lou the whole time but I still think Lou could have gotten some nice pieces from Minnesota if he traded him at the beginning of the season (long before they even knew they were gonna make the playoffs) and they still could have made the same impact in the playoffs that year.

#106 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

In the case with Parise, IMO it was pretty obvious what his intentions were when he signed a 1 year deal as an RFA. Who knows what he was telling Lou the whole time but I still think Lou could have gotten some nice pieces from Minnesota if he traded him at the beginning of the season (long before they even knew they were gonna make the playoffs) and they still could have made the same impact in the playoffs that year.

Why would Minnesota trade assets for him when they could just sign him at the end of the season without giving up ANY pieces?  At any rate, we've seen that the returns on these deals usually don't tend to be anything near what fans hope for.

It's pretty obvious what his intentions were in jilted-fan hindsight.  At the time, Lou did say they were hoping to get something done at a later date.  You or anyone else has no idea what they would've done in the 2011-12 regular season and playoffs w/o Parise.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 February 2014 - 06:22 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#107 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

I still can't believe people wanted to trade Parise.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#108 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

I still can't believe people wanted to trade Parise.

Agreed. It's not like there was NO chance, or he would have walked before signing the one year deal. That deal makes me feel he was conflicted about going into free agency.

#109 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Agreed. It's not like there was NO chance, or he would have walked before signing the one year deal. That deal makes me feel he was conflicted about going into free agency.

I think he was very conflicted. It came down to the Devils and Minnesota in the end even with Minny saying they'd sign Suter too. Supposedly he turned down Detroit and Pittsburgh, but who knows about that part.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#110 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

exactly, the same reason why the devils are considered one of the most successful franchises the past quarter century (making the playoffs consistently) is what people are complaining about now. Selling guys like Gomez parise and niedermeyer in their walk years would have been terrible for the team each of those years, even if Lou knew it was guaranteed they would not return I'm glad he held on and went for it. I don't want to be a team always looking toward the future- id rather take a shot when we have it.

THIS

I would much rather go into the postseason with the best possible roster.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#111 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Why would Minnesota trade assets for him when they could just sign him at the end of the season without giving up ANY pieces?  At any rate, we've seen that the returns on these deals usually don't tend to be anything near what fans hope for.

It's pretty obvious what his intentions were in jilted-fan hindsight.  At the time, Lou did say they were hoping to get something done at a later date.  You or anyone else has no idea what they would've done in the 2011-12 regular season and playoffs w/o Parise.

When Zach signed the one year deal he was an RFA. If Lou traded him as an RFA Minnesota would have given up a lot. I actually still like Zach and I'm not upset he wanted to leave anymore but I still think losing him as an asset hurt the franchise (to whatever degree you choose). Its all speculation as to what we would have gotten in return for him and to how the devils would have been that year (I personally believe the devils still would have at least made the playoffs without him that year. Maybe even the cup run).

I feel like Lou likes to let players hit free agency to let them choose the Devils (prove their loyalty), but I'm not convinced that method works anymore. There's too much money on the line for these players. He has to try to lock them up as soon as he's able too. It's not like nj is a big attraction for free agents.

Of course it's easy for any of us to armchair quarterback from home, I just don't always agree with some of the things he does. Can't keep losing free agents for nothing.

#112 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

When Zach signed the one year deal he was an RFA. If Lou traded him as an RFA Minnesota would have given up a lot. I actually still like Zach and I'm not upset he wanted to leave anymore but I still think losing him as an asset hurt the franchise (to whatever degree you choose). Its all speculation as to what we would have gotten in return for him and to how the devils would have been that year (I personally believe the devils still would have at least made the playoffs without him that year. Maybe even the cup run).

I feel like Lou likes to let players hit free agency to let them choose the Devils (prove their loyalty), but I'm not convinced that method works anymore. There's too much money on the line for these players. He has to try to lock them up as soon as he's able too. It's not like nj is a big attraction for free agents.

Of course it's easy for any of us to armchair quarterback from home, I just don't always agree with some of the things he does. Can't keep losing free agents for nothing.

Just like he did with Travis Zajac - we miss him a lot now.

Why would Minnesota have given up 'a lot' for Parise when they could just sign him the next year anyway?  It wasn't like their team was going anywhere at the time.  Anyway I'm not sure that Lou didn't try to deal Parise - remember that draft was in Minnesota and Lou asked Zach to attend - but you're just not likely to get things that help you in the near-term.  With guys like Elias and Brodeur nearing the end and Kovalchuk a ticking time bomb, it doesn't make much sense to deal Parise for future considerations.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#113 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

The final word on this is that if the current CBA were in place at the start of the 2011-2012 season, Zach would either still be a Devil or he would have been traded. It's the same reason that Zajac is still on the Devils, or that he would have been traded to Winnipeg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#114 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Just like he did with Travis Zajac - we miss him a lot now.

Why would Minnesota have given up 'a lot' for Parise when they could just sign him the next year anyway?  It wasn't like their team was going anywhere at the time.  Anyway I'm not sure that Lou didn't try to deal Parise - remember that draft was in Minnesota and Lou asked Zach to attend - but you're just not likely to get things that help you in the near-term.  With guys like Elias and Brodeur nearing the end and Kovalchuk a ticking time bomb, it doesn't make much sense to deal Parise for future considerations.

I meant that if Lou had tried to trade Zach as an RFA instead of signing him to that one year deal I believe Minnesota would have given up a lot. Still believe that. The owners wanted Zach and Ryan badly. I even remember them saying that Zach would be able to buy the franchise when he retires if wants to right before the deal was signed. 

I think Lou signing Zajac during the season and while he was still an RFA was reactionary to what happened with Zach. But then he let Clarkson walk for nothing. In Clarkson's situation though, I don't think Clarkson had much trade value and I think Lou knew someone else was going to pay way too much for him. 

#115 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I wonder if we would have tried to make a move for Suter if we could have kept Zach happy. 

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#116 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I wonder if we would have tried to make a move for Suter if we could have kept Zach happy.

Evidently Zach brought up the idea of Suter signing with the Devils, but he shot down the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#117 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yeah I remember hearing from a pretty good source (McKenzie maybe) that Suter absolutely refused to leave his ranch out west behind.

So, being the good obedient puppy he was, Zach went to him instead  :giggle:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#118 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I hope they are happy together. 

http://en.wikipedia....ge_in_Minnesota

#119 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Kills me to think where this team would be with Parise and Suter here

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#120 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Derek Jeter just announced that he will be retiring after the 2014 season. I wish so much that Marty had the foresight to do this before this season started. I know his reasoning was that he didn't want it to be a distraction and he wanted to see how he'd feel when the season was over, but I think it would have been so much easier for everyone involved if that had been the case.

I know it doesn't really offer anything because reality is what it is. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I read that announcement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users