187 replies to this topic

#121 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Derek Jeter just announced that he will be retiring after the 2014 season. I wish so much that Marty had the foresight to do this before this season started. I know his reasoning was that he didn't want it to be a distraction and he wanted to see how he'd feel when the season was over, but I think it would have been so much easier for everyone involved if that had been the case.

I know it doesn't really offer anything because reality is what it is. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I read that announcement.

I always feel like those announcements mean the guy just wants to travel around having his ass kissed like Rivera did last year. Just announce you are retiring when you are done. It doesn't make anything easier, even if Marty announced it (and we don't actually know if that is even his intention), you know he would have still wanted to play every day and it really wouldn't be any different than it is now. 

#122 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Kills me to think where this team would be with Parise and Suter here

Well to hopefully make you feel better, there was absolutely no way in hell that JVB could've paid those signing bonuses to both of them, especially with Kovy on the books still.  I think they both received something like 20m up front (40m out of JVB's pocket at once?  I doubt he even half that ready to go).

Can you imagine the sheer panic JVB would've felt having ~40m due on July 1st, then 11m annually to Kovy for the next couple years?  Combine that with the arena debt and I think he probably would've fled the country :lol:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#123 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Evidently Zach brought up the idea of Suter signing with the Devils, but he shot down the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suter was the one who didn't want to come to NJ.  I'm not sure if Zach tried to coerce him or not.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#124 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

I always feel like those announcements mean the guy just wants to travel around having his ass kissed like Rivera did last year. Just announce you are retiring when you are done. It doesn't make anything easier, even if Marty announced it (and we don't actually know if that is even his intention), you know he would have still wanted to play every day and it really wouldn't be any different than it is now. 

Are you kidding?  Now the Yankees know that they need an everyday shortstop in 2015.  They knew that anyway because Jeter is about finished, but instead of having to possibly move Jeter to another position (and his bat is really not suitable for any others), or having to go through the painful process of having to have him be a utility/bench player (what Brodeur is going through now, and he is not handling it well), they can plan accordingly.

If Brodeur had said he was done after this year, this would be less of an issue.  As I said upthread, I think Brodeur's biggest problem with sitting is that he thinks he will not be able to get a starting job next season.  He obviously wouldn't be happy with sitting had he said he was retiring, but I think he'd be okay with it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#125 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Well part of the problem is that Marty has no idea of what he wants to do. When I said I wish Marty could do that, part of what I meant is make a definitive decision about retiring. He talks about having fun and feeling good, but part of playing at his age is seeing if you still have the ability to be effective. One of my fears of Marty was that he wouldn't retire before he was forced to, and unfortunately it looks like we are hitting that point. He's a goalie. His slowing skills can't be hidden like they can with a forward.

Also, I do think it would make some things easier. It's a lot easier for Lou, Deboer, Schneider, the locker room, the fans, the media, etc, if they know this is his last run. The media and fans wouldn't ride him as hard. Schneider, Deboer, and the locker room would know that this distraction will have a finite ending. There wouldn't be a need for special meetings about Marty's future, and then Lou wouldn't have to make the decision for him.

As for him wanting to play now, it would give him even less leverage as it would officially be a pass-the-torch season. I think it'd be a lot different because the Devils wouldn't have this "overstaying his welcome" feeling that we have now.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#126 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,791 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Are you kidding?  Now the Yankees know that they need an everyday shortstop in 2015.  They knew that anyway because Jeter is about finished, but instead of having to possibly move Jeter to another position (and his bat is really not suitable for any others), or having to go through the painful process of having to have him be a utility/bench player (what Brodeur is going through now, and he is not handling it well), they can plan accordingly.

If Brodeur had said he was done after this year, this would be less of an issue.  As I said upthread, I think Brodeur's biggest problem with sitting is that he thinks he will not be able to get a starting job next season.  He obviously wouldn't be happy with sitting had he said he was retiring, but I think he'd be okay with it.

Marty got a two year deal after finishing up the season very strong.  When it was clear that he was basically finished, Lou got Schneider.  If you're blaming last year's results on Marty, then, intentionally or not, it's the reason that the Devils had the asset to get Schneider in the first place.  So I don't know how anyone can say that Marty has somehow prevented the Devils from planning for the future, if that's what you're getting at. 

Yeah, it would have been nice if the Devils started the season with Schneider as the clear number 1, but sh!t happens sometimes. 

ADDENDUM:  I'll also add that there's also the rumor that Lou held on to the pick in 2012 in the hopes of getting Vasilevsky or Subban.  So again it cuts against the theory that Marty has hamstrung the Devil's plans for the future.  If anything, you can say that the bigger mistake was signing Hedberg to an extension.  They might have gotten one of those backups that ends up becoming a good starter (as you've suggested in the past), which might have allowed Lou to hang on to the pick last year. 

Edited by Daniel, 12 February 2014 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#127 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,791 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Suter was the one who didn't want to come to NJ.  I'm not sure if Zach tried to coerce him or not.

The rumor was that Zach initially asked Suter if he would be willing to play in New Jersey.  Suter said he didn't.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#128 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

The rumor was that Zach initially asked Suter if he would be willing to play in New Jersey.  Suter said he didn't.

Supposedly, Lou even contacted Suter's camp about the possibility, but Suter was not interested in coming east. And even if he was, the Devils wouldn't have the money for that.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#129 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

I really hate how Zach led us on the entire season like he was gonna re-sign though.  If he would have went the Rafalski route and not say a word, I would have been fine with him leaving.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#130 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

I really hate how Zach led us on the entire season like he was gonna re-sign though.  If he would have went the Rafalski route and not say a word, I would have been fine with him leaving.

I don't think he led anyone on. Part of him definitely wanted to stay, and it even came down to Minnesota and New Jersey for him even though Jersey couldn't match the signing bonus. In the end, he made a life and career decision.

#131 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't think he led anyone on. Part of him definitely wanted to stay, and it even came down to Minnesota and New Jersey for him even though Jersey couldn't match the signing bonus. In the end, he made a life and career decision.

If he hadn't been talking to Suter during the playoffs, I'd be fine with him. I'm just mad our captain was thinking about free agency (and talking to a guy on a different team) while his team was playing for the Cup. Don't think it mattered, just left a bad taste in my mouth, which I'm still not over.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#132 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

If he hadn't been talking to Suter during the playoffs, I'd be fine with him. I'm just mad our captain was thinking about free agency (and talking to a guy on a different team) while his team was playing for the Cup. Don't think it mattered, just left a bad taste in my mouth, which I'm still not over.

We are still going to make up reasons to be mad at Zach? Find me any proof that said he talked to Suter about free agency during the playoffs?

If you still aren't over something from 20 months ago, I think you should have it on good authority that that is what happened.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#133 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

We are still going to make up reasons to be mad at Zach? Find me any proof that said he talked to Suter about free agency during the playoffs?

If you still aren't over something from 20 months ago, I think you should have it on good authority that that is what happened.

The only thing I ever saw Zach say about it was that he and Suter had talked to each other "throughout the year" about how cool it would be to play together. There's really no proof that it was during the playoffs at all. I think a lot of people assumed it was, but I think Zach and Suter were both professional enough to know Zach had more to worry about when his team was in the middle of a playoff run.

#134 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

this is so true. If he knows he's going to retire at seasons end just quietly let the gm know so he can plan for the future, otherwise by making it public he just seems to be asking for a retirement party everywhere he goes. Why not announce your retirement 2 or 3 seasons in advance?

It's so silly.

#135 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

They might have gotten one of those backups that ends up becoming a good starter (as you've suggested in the past), which might have allowed Lou to hang on to the pick last year. 

I still say they should have signed Anton Khudobin as a backup and forced Marty into retirement. Carolina's now proving me right on that one.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#136 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

I still say they should have signed Anton Khudobin as a backup and forced Marty into retirement. Carolina's now proving me right on that one.

In the 2013 off season? How would that have forced Marty into retirement? He still had a year left on his contract.

#137 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

this is so true. If he knows he's going to retire at seasons end just quietly let the gm know so he can plan for the future, otherwise by making it public he just seems to be asking for a retirement party everywhere he goes. Why not announce your retirement 2 or 3 seasons in advance?

It's so silly.

Instead of asking 100 questions about whether or not this is his last year wherever he goes, now everyone knows and can stop asking him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#138 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Zach and Suter talked all the time how it would be cool to play on the same team so they could finger each other's buttholes.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#139 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,426 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Khudobin wouldn't have forced Marty into anything, he didn't have enough stature to get anything other than backup minutes and we would have had Marty playing 40-45 games instead of the 25 he's gotten.  It took sixty games for them to make the switch from Marty to Cory, when Cory was a lot more proven.

I've always like Khudobin too, he's done well everywhere he's been...but you weren't going to force Marty into retirement with a guy that'd started less than 20 NHL games coming into the year.

Oh I guess you meant acquire Cory AND Khudobin...there's no way they would have pushed Marty out in a hostile takeover like that after thirty meh and injury-marred games in a short season anyway.  It's one thing to push Marty onto the bench with a guy like Cory, it's another to force him off the team with a guy with limited experience, that wouldn't have gone over very well at all.  They threw a brushback pitch as it was by getting Cory and forcing out Hedberg (his buddy).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 February 2014 - 07:14 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#140 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Instead of asking 100 questions about whether or not this is his last year wherever he goes, now everyone knows and can stop asking him.

Exactly, but if he wants a retirement party...let him have one. Did the Yankees quietly ask each team that played Rivera to have a small ceremony during the last series he plays that team? I doubt it. It came organically, and it was pretty cool.

If Jeter wants the biggest send off in sports history, then so be it...if his opponents are obliging.

There is something nice about knowing when it is going to end as a fan, a team, a broadcast. Those moments can be pretty neat. I'm glad Wayne announced his retirement with one game left so he could have that send off against the Penguins. It was a great sports moment for his final game in Canada earlier that week too. If he announced it before the year, that be fine too. I would have loved to have seen a celebration of Gretzky that entire last year.

The reason so many athletes don't announce it will be their final season before the year is because so few are able to retire on their own terms and the ones that do, don't realize it is time to hang them up until that season, where they are hurting or no longer have the motivation to stay in peak shape necessary to play at the top level.

Edited by devilsrule33, 12 February 2014 - 07:28 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users