187 replies to this topic

#141 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

how cool would it have been if zach showed up in the 2012 playoffs?

on brodeur; why cant he keep quiet while cory is playing amazing?

Posted Image

#142 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

how cool would it have been if zach showed up in the 2012 playoffs?

on brodeur; why cant he keep quiet while cory is playing amazing?

Parise had 8 goals and 7 assists.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#143 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

so kovalchuk had 19 pts with a broken back.

Posted Image

#144 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Parise's goals were also padded by the empty netters he hit vs the Rangers and the Quick blunder [his ONLY contribution during the Finals.]

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#145 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

so kovalchuk had 19 pts with a broken back.

It's not like Zach disappeared though. He was pretty big in the Rags series.

What I wouldn't give for an ENG this season!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#146 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

giroux had more points played some 12 less games

zach is a choker period.

he was non existent in the 1st and 2nd round as well

edit, just saying he was the best player for debo's system. so more than points.

Edited by lazer, 12 February 2014 - 09:00 PM.

Posted Image

#147 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

If only Kovy and Elias were healthy during that playoff run.....

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#148 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Instead of asking 100 questions about whether or not this is his last year wherever he goes, now everyone knows and can stop asking him.

hey I have no problem with jeter announcing it now, he's a legend and he can do what he wants, he's earned it. But let's at least call it for what it is- publicity. In fact if I had to guess, the Yankees brass wanted him to announce it now for $$$ reasons.

Put it this way- there were people criticizing Michael Sam for coming out, wondering what he had to gain by doing it other than publicity (which is absolutely ridiculous). This is 100% publicity.

#149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

hey I have no problem with jeter announcing it now, he's a legend and he can do what he wants, he's earned it. But let's at least call it for what it is- publicity. In fact if I had to guess, the Yankees brass wanted him to announce it now for $$$ reasons.

Put it this way- there were people criticizing Michael Sam for coming out, wondering what he had to gain by doing it other than publicity (which is absolutely ridiculous). This is 100% publicity.

It's not 100% publicity.  How can the Yankees tell Jeter he's retiring?  It's up to him to retire.  I'm sure they're not disappointed with this result, but it also benefits Jeter so he doesn't have to deal with the endless questions.  How often do we see Brodeur asked about it?  And he's in a much lower profile sport on a much lower profile team.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#150 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Are you kidding?  Now the Yankees know that they need an everyday shortstop in 2015.  They knew that anyway because Jeter is about finished, but instead of having to possibly move Jeter to another position (and his bat is really not suitable for any others), or having to go through the painful process of having to have him be a utility/bench player (what Brodeur is going through now, and he is not handling it well), they can plan accordingly

How does announcing it to the public help the Yankees do that? He could have told the team without making a grand announcement and doing a goodbye tour.

#151 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

How does announcing it to the public help the Yankees do that? He could have told the team without making a grand announcement and doing a goodbye tour.

I don't see why anyone would be offended by him announcing his retirement before the season. I've been watching Yankees games from before I could even remember. Baseball was the #1 sport in my house and the Yankees a religion. 1995 was the first year I can really remember individual games and moments so I've been fortunate enough to watch Jeter's legendary career the whole way through. I'm really thankful that I'll be able to cherish the final games I'll get to see him play this season.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#152 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

It's a huge ego move. He could have just played out the season and retired, instead it will be the Jeter Farewell Tour, like with Mariano last year.

I'm not sure if it's a distraction , but they did miss the playoffs last year. I think that was more due to injury though.

#153 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'm surprised there aren't more people who would be sad about Marty's last start as a Devil being the Yankee Stadium fiasco.  It's not as if they're going to give him a start for the hell of it before the deadline, the die's cast and the Devils are in must-win games.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#154 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

I don't see why anyone would be offended by him announcing his retirement before the season. I've been watching Yankees games from before I could even remember. Baseball was the #1 sport in my house and the Yankees a religion. 1995 was the first year I can really remember individual games and moments so I've been fortunate enough to watch Jeter's legendary career the whole way through. I'm really thankful that I'll be able to cherish the final games I'll get to see him play this season.

One thing that's obvious is that no matter how these things are handled, someone will always bitch about it.  I don't see anything wrong with what Jeter did here:

1) From the team standpoint, the Yankees can plan for the future knowing they will need a new SS in 2015 and beyond, and don't have to worry about it ever getting awkward by having to nudge him out the door.  And extra ticket sales never hurt (though I don't think for one second that was ever part of the motivation for any of this).

2) From Jeter's standpoint, he's let everyone know EXACTLY what his intentions are, so there won't be any constant "What if" possible retirement questions from reporters.  No suspense here.  He's playing one more season and that's it.

3) From the fans' standpoint, they get to enjoy his last moments of greatness, and know that if they want to see him live on last time, this is the season to do it. 

Not sure why being upfront about this is such a horrible thing.  He's a Yankee well worth being celebrated, and now everyone can enjoy his last season together, without anyone being unsure about his future plans or wondering about next season.  And this is all coming from a diehard Met fan, so it's not like I'm at all biased in this.

Re:  Brodeur, it would've been great if he had done the same thing, as I think he would've gotten much more of a pass on his overall "meh" performance this season.  But every case is different.  Maybe if Brodeur had suffered through an injury-plagued, frustrating season like Jeter's, filled with aggravating setbacks, maybe he would've gone a similar route.  Who knows? 

I'm surprised there aren't more people who would be sad about Marty's last start as a Devil being the Yankee Stadium fiasco.  It's not as if they're going to give him a start for the hell of it before the deadline, the die's cast and the Devils are in must-win games.

For me, it doesn't even register.  I'm sure you can find a lot of greats who didn't have anywhere near a great game in their last appearance.  Too many terrific games in his career to look back on, to let the outdoor trainwreck make much of an impact.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 February 2014 - 08:04 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#155 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

I just wish he retired on top in 2012. We all saw the trend in his play, he I guess didn't see it, and was only going to get worse. It doesn't mask his records and it stinks that his last game could be a dudaroo - but what are you going to do. In the long run, it's a footnote.

#156 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

I just wish he retired on top in 2012. We all saw the trend in his play, he I guess didn't see it, and was only going to get worse. It doesn't mask his records and it stinks that his last game could be a dudaroo - but what are you going to do. In the long run, it's a footnote.

He put up a .920 save% over a 50-game stretch to close out the 2012 season (regular season and playoffs), and looked good for most of that time.  I can't blame him for thinking he had something left.  Clearly other teams did too...the Devils weren't the only team interested that offseason.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#157 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Oh I guess you meant acquire Cory AND Khudobin...there's no way they would have pushed Marty out in a hostile takeover like that after thirty meh and injury-marred games in a short season anyway.  It's one thing to push Marty onto the bench with a guy like Cory, it's another to force him off the team with a guy with limited experience, that wouldn't have gone over very well at all.  They threw a brushback pitch as it was by getting Cory and forcing out Hedberg (his buddy).

Yes, I meant Cory AND Khudobin. Would it have been unpopular? Perhaps with certain team members, but overall I think it would have been the most beneficial to the team. I don't think that most die-hard fans would have been upset about it and most casual fans would get over it fairly quickly. We here who watch and follow carefully realized instantly that Lou didn't replace Hedberg with Cory this season, he replaced Hedberg with Marty and replaced Marty with Cory. I just think that instead of going through this whole season charade of "who is the starting goalie" it would have been simpler to just do a wholesale change.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#158 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

It's not 100% publicity. How can the Yankees tell Jeter he's retiring? It's up to him to retire. I'm sure they're not disappointed with this result, but it also benefits Jeter so he doesn't have to deal with the endless questions. How often do we see Brodeur asked about it? And he's in a much lower profile sport on a much lower profile team.

we can agree to disagree. I never said the Yankees forced him to retire, but there is no doubt in my mind that once he told them he was going to, they wanted him to go on a farewell tour like Rivera did- now ticket sales, souveniers and tv ratings will go through the roof. I honestly don't see any other reason to announce it ~250 days in advance. It seems like this is now going to be the status quo in baseball (I honestly can't recall it happening so frequently ever before) there's going to be an entire market for players going on farewell tours. First chipper, then Mariano and now jeter.

If anything IMO announcing it now would be more of a distraction to the team throughout the year, now everyone on the team will be asked in every city their thoughts on the retirement...so I'm not buying the whole endless questions argument.

Anyway I don't think you can compare the Marty and jeter situations- jeter was still excellent before he got injured, whereas Marty has been on a steady decline for a few years now, and the devils already brought in a replacement for him.

Edit: apparently people have interpreted me to mean I think this is a horrible thing by jeter, which I specifically said wasn't the case. Jeter has earned to go out anyway he wants, I really don't care. But again, just be honest about the motivations of the announcement- IMO this all for $$$$. I'm already hearing Steiner sports commercials for jeter memorabilia less than 8 hours after the announcement.

Edited by dmann422, 13 February 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#159 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Ticket sales will go up?  And this is a problem how?  That means fans are paying to see the guy they like.  What is wrong with that?  Instead of surprising everyone at the end of the year and saying 'sorry everyone, this is it - shoulda bought tickets in September, guys!  Shoulda read my mind!' - he's out.

Why in this scenario would he even tell them that he is planning on retiring at the end of the year?  Why would he even have that conversation?

76 hit the nail on the head - everyone benefits.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#160 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

we can agree to disagree. I never said the Yankees forced him to retire, but there is no doubt in my mind that once he told them he was going to, they wanted him to go on a farewell tour like Rivera did- now ticket sales, souveniers and tv ratings will go through the roof. I honestly don't see any other reason to announce it ~250 days in advance. It seems like this is now going to be the status quo in baseball (I honestly can't recall it happening so frequently ever before) there's going to be an entire market for players going on farewell tours. First chipper, then Mariano and now jeter.

If anything IMO announcing it now would be more of a distraction to the team throughout the year, now everyone on the team will be asked in every city their thoughts on the retirement...so I'm not buying the whole endless questions argument.

Anyway I don't think you can compare the Marty and jeter situations- jeter was still excellent before he got injured, whereas Marty has been on a steady decline for a few years now, and the devils already brought in a replacement for him.

Edit: apparently people have interpreted me to mean I think this is a horrible thing by jeter, which I specifically said wasn't the case. Jeter has earned to go out anyway he wants, I really don't care. But again, just be honest about the motivations of the announcement- IMO this all for $$$$. I'm already hearing Steiner sports commercials for jeter memorabilia less than 8 hours after the announcement.

IMO 76 has it right. The money is a benefit, but it's a small one compared to all the other ones, especially getting the media off Jeter's back.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users