187 replies to this topic

#161 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Yes, I meant Cory AND Khudobin. Would it have been unpopular? Perhaps with certain team members, but overall I think it would have been the most beneficial to the team. I don't think that most die-hard fans would have been upset about it and most casual fans would get over it fairly quickly. We here who watch and follow carefully realized instantly that Lou didn't replace Hedberg with Cory this season, he replaced Hedberg with Marty and replaced Marty with Cory. I just think that instead of going through this whole season charade of "who is the starting goalie" it would have been simpler to just do a wholesale change.

A steady transition from Marty to Cory was essential. Throwing out Moose and Marty like that in the offseason would have sent a real bad message to the locker room. The team needed to warm up to Cory as it was.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#162 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ticket sales will go up?  And this is a problem how?  That means fans are paying to see the guy they like.  What is wrong with that?  Instead of surprising everyone at the end of the year and saying 'sorry everyone, this is it - shoulda bought tickets in September, guys!  Shoulda read my mind!' - he's out.

Why in this scenario would he even tell them that he is planning on retiring at the end of the year?  Why would he even have that conversation?

76 hit the nail on the head - everyone benefits.

lol where did I say it was a problem? Where did I say nobody benefits? The only point I'm making is that the announcement was made for $$$ reasons. I'll ask you why has there never been this push to announce retirement in advance before? This is a fairly new phenomenon. Gretzky announced his one game early, that's the only other high profile guy I can recall announcing it early. Now the past 3 mlb seasons there have been retirement tours. Why? The answer to me is that they found out that there is big money in it. That's all I'm saying here and that's all I've ever said in this thread.

Point is next thing you know every big name from now on is going to announce it early to profit from it. I'm not sure what of all that I've said is outrageous or groundbreaking... To me it seems quite obvious. But again you can disagree, that's fine.

#163 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

lol where did I say it was a problem? Where did I say nobody benefits? The only point I'm making is that the announcement was made for $$$ reasons. I'll ask you why has there never been this push to announce retirement in advance before? This is a fairly new phenomenon. Gretzky announced his one game early, that's the only other high profile guy I can recall announcing it early. Now the past 3 mlb seasons there have been retirement tours. Why? The answer to me is that they found out that there is big money in it. That's all I'm saying here and that's all I've ever said in this thread.

Point is next thing you know every big name from now on is going to announce it early to profit from it. I'm not sure what of all that I've said is outrageous or groundbreaking... To me it seems quite obvious. But again you can disagree, that's fine.

Ted Williams announced his retirement early.  But yeah I guess it's a new thing.

I have no idea how Derek Jeter personally profits from this.  His salary is guaranteed.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#164 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Ted Williams announced his retirement early.  But yeah I guess it's a new thing.

I have no idea how Derek Jeter personally profits from this.  His salary is guaranteed.

if you don't think jeter (and a lot of other people) will profit from this than you are being obtuse, and if your example is from 53 years ago then IMO it helps prove my point. But like I said, agree to disagree... To be honest also I agree with 76 that everyone ultimately benefits from this, but that doesn't mean that was the motivation behind the announcement.

To bring it back on topic, I think that Marty announcing his retirement early (let's say he did it before this season) would have caused more problems at this point- whether he did or not, his play itself shows that this will be his last year- at least in a devils uniform. The hooplah of a retirement tour only would have fueled the flames of the early season goalie controversy IMO.

#165 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

A steady transition from Marty to Cory was essential. Throwing out Moose and Marty like that in the offseason would have sent a real bad message to the locker room. The team needed to warm up to Cory as it was.

Maybe I'm just beyond the point of caring about steady transitions and messages to the locker room, but after ending a season the way we did last year I thought a clearer message would be that a new era was starting. Warming up to a goalie? I've played goalie in multiple sports. Is it essential for your goalie and defense to be on the same page? Absolutely. Is it hard to get on the same page? Not really. That's what training camp is for.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#166 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Maybe I'm just beyond the point of caring about steady transitions and messages to the locker room, but after ending a season the way we did last year I thought a clearer message would be that a new era was starting. Warming up to a goalie? I've played goalie in multiple sports. Is it essential for your goalie and defense to be on the same page? Absolutely. Is it hard to get on the same page? Not really. That's what training camp is for.

In the locker room. If you take a team leader like Marty and a well liked locker room guy like Moose and force both of them into retirement for 2 new guys, you may as well go full on re-build. Why would a guy like Elias re-sign if they did something like that to Brodeur?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#167 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have no idea how Derek Jeter personally profits from this. His salary is guaranteed.

It's an ego boost. 162 games of everyone telling him how great he is. Plus when Mariano did it, he got fun prizes.

#168 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

It's an ego boost. 162 games of everyone telling him how great he is. Plus when Mariano did it, he got fun prizes.

Oh please, Derek has never really been about ego.  And c'mon, this is the Yankees...do you really think, if he had announced his retirement after the season, there wouldn't be a big-time Derek Jeter day next season?  This is the Yankees.  They'd give him a first-class send-off, full of prizes.  And the prizes are simply tokens of appreciation...what could the Yankees possibly give him that he can't already buy on his own?

Maybe you don't like him, for whatever the reasons, but he is not a me-first ego guy, never has been.  He's the last guy who comes off as needing to be stroked all of the time.  That's part of what makes him so likable, even though he's pretty vanilla as a person (he's actually pretty reserved in the media). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 February 2014 - 04:14 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#169 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

In the locker room. If you take a team leader like Marty and a well liked locker room guy like Moose and force both of them into retirement for 2 new guys, you may as well go full on re-build. Why would a guy like Elias re-sign if they did something like that to Brodeur?

I agree, but after the sh!t finish last year, there's something to be said for shaking up the room, getting guys a little uncomfortable. IMO it wouldn't have mattered either way -- they started like sh!t, but they were trying -- but when you play really badly, your comfort level doesn't get to matter much.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#170 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Because it's still a team committed to winning? Because it's still a team that views the crest as more important than the name on the back? The alternative is to do exactly what they did do which didn't help any better IMO.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#171 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Since none of us have never been inside an NHL locker room, I think it's pointless to suggest that we know at all how the "locker room" feels about this or that.  But I'll venture a guess that the other veterans would prefer to win rather than get to hang out with their buddies while they're at the rink.   

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#172 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Oh please, Derek has never really been about ego.  And c'mon, this is the Yankees...do you really think, if he had announced his retirement after the season, there wouldn't be a big-time Derek Jeter day next season?  This is the Yankees.  They'd give him a first-class send-off, full of prizes.  And the prizes are simply tokens of appreciation...what could the Yankees possibly give him that he can't already buy on his own?

Maybe you don't like him, for whatever the reasons, but he is not a me-first ego guy, never has been.  He's the last guy who comes off as needing to be stroked all of the time.  That's part of what makes him so likable, even though he's pretty vanilla as a person (he's actually pretty reserved in the media).

"Derek Jeter Day" is one thing. This will be "Derek Jeter Season". There's no other reason to do it. The "distraction" of not knowing if he is coming back is lesser than the distraction of the spending a whole season kissing his ass rather than focusing on baseball.

And I was really only joking about the prizes. When Mariano met Metallica and they gave him that guitar, I was 99% sure he had no idea who they were.

#173 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

"Derek Jeter Day" is one thing. This will be "Derek Jeter Season". There's no other reason to do it. The "distraction" of not knowing if he is coming back is lesser than the distraction of the spending a whole season kissing his ass rather than focusing on baseball.

And I was really only joking about the prizes. When Mariano met Metallica and they gave him that guitar, I was 99% sure he had no idea who they were.

It is not going to be some major distraction.  For one, there's plenty of other storylines to follow with the Yankees:  Robertson taking over the closer role, Tex coming back from injury, the performances of their big free agent signings.  I already posted why it makes sense from just about every standpoint...you seem determined to make this whole thing a lot more than it really is, and to try to find a downside when there really isn't one.  There will be some tributes here and there, but Jeter answered many of the questions about his retirement and post-career life in his statement already.  The big articles about him calling it quits have already been written.  You'll see them spike up again as the season ends, but during the season, this is not going to be that big of a deal...a lot of the angles that this can be covered from will be touched on in spring training.  And sometimes you've just got to use your brain...Jeter has never been an attention whore, or thought of as such.  If you want to see a prime example of a pure attention whore, look no further than Rodriguez, Alex. 

It's like I said previously, someone will always bitch no matter what the approach.  If he didn't announce it and said "I knew I was going to retire at the end of the year, just kept it to myself", you'd have fans bitching about "Geez, if he had said something earlier, I would've gone to more games to see him play, why didn't he say anything?"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 February 2014 - 08:10 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#174 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Even if it is, a 30 minute (at most) tribute about 19 times (last game of last road series) distracts no one, since they'll all be warming up. Maybe Jeter will get some cheers instead of boos, which again distracts no one. The question about who the next shortstop is, or if Jeter is hurting the team by sticking around is a much bigger issue. Same with Marty. If he announces his retirement, some people cheer for him. Especially in Montreal. Instead, the team, especially Schnieder, have had to deal with obnoxious questions, especially by Chere, all year long. Not that our threads are perfect, but look how many Marty threads we've had that wouldn't have been there if we knew he was just going to retire. Certainly money may be a factor, but there is a huge tangible benefit to announcing your retirement early. The real reason people don't do it is they rarely know they're done. Marty still thinks he can play. Tony Gonzalez announced it, then played again. Very few players get to leave on their own terms, in large part because the confidence that allowed them to play at this level tends to distort reality. Jeter and Mo happened to have a rare level of self awareness, that allowed them to leave on top (hopefully for Jeter), and enjoy their last season.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#175 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

re:  Marty, I don't think he was thinking retirement after this season...I agree with you mouse, in that he still thinks he can play.  He probably thought he could bounce back from last year, have a year close to 2011-12 overall (with hopefully an extended stretch of very good play again).  Hopefully he's thinking retirement now and doesn't try to play next season.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 February 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#176 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

so than this is nothing like brodeurs situation than.

Posted Image

#177 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

so than this is nothing like brodeurs situation than.

No sh!t, the reason Jeter came up in the first place was that DD56 basically said he wished Marty had gone down a similar road this year.  Only problem with that is that I think Brodeur never really thought he might be done beyond this season and was planning to play (either as a Devil or somewhere else), so it's kind of a moot point. 

#30 FOREVER!

#178 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

No sh!t, the reason Jeter came up in the first place was that DD56 basically said he wished Marty had gone down a similar road this year.  Only problem with that is that I think Brodeur never really thought he might be done beyond this season and was planning to play (either as a Devil or somewhere else), so it's kind of a moot point. 

when lou gave up a top ten pick to get schneider; brodeur should have expected nothing beyond playing better than schneider.

yaaaawn

Posted Image

#179 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

when lou gave up a top ten pick to get schneider; brodeur should have expected nothing beyond playing better than schneider.

yaaaawn

Read the entire post.  Apparently you missed the "as a Devil or somewhere else" part.  He should definitely not expect a contract offer from Lou, and his Devil career should end either at the deadline or the end of this season, but if someone else steps up and thinks he could help them (don't know why that would happen), then so be it.  As for this season, did you think Brodeur was just going to get shoved aside for Schneider right from the get-go?  Of course he wasn't, and like I've said in other posts, he had a stretch of .934 save% play where he went 7-3-0 (only allowing 5 goals in the three losses), and Schneider had five shaky games in a row (preceding the near-unconscious streak he's on now) that complicated things, and delayed the inevitable transition. 

What's your point anyway?  That he's not allowed to talk to his GM about his future, brief though it may be?  That he's not allowed to answer questions put forth to him by reporters? 

#30 FOREVER!

#180 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Come on Marty......do what Jeter did...picked a time to go,and so must you. You have always and only worn a Devils sweater and anything else would seem so out of place.

You are a Devil.....like Jeter is a Yankee.

And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users