Photo

Since It Would Be A Pretty Epic / Historical Event in Devils History..

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Straight Up Pole - Will Brodeur Be Traded This Season (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Marty be traded prior to this season's deadline?

1. Yes (36 votes [33.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.03%

2. No (73 votes [66.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,056 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

No, because who is going to make him a starter?  No one.

To me, this is Brodeur seeing the writing on the wall - he wants to start next year, and the less ice time he gets this year, the harder it is going to be to get a job like that anywhere.  I could see him going somewhere for a pittance to get a shot to start - I just can't see him being any good there.  The more playing time he gets, the more he'll hurt his chances.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Any where Marty goes it won't be as a starter. If a team trades for him, it's because they want a veteran in the locker room and an experienced guy who can step in if their starter gets hurt. Not a whole lot of teams will be needing that, and who knows how many are on Marty's list if he indeed has asked for a trade. I can think of Chicago, Minnesota, Tampa, and San Jose as teams that may want that piece for a playoff run, but I just don't know if what Brodeur would bring to them would be worth the distraction, nor do I think the Devils would really get much back. So I have to say there won't be a trade.

I guess Edmonton could make sense if they want a pointless goalie controversy to end their season. It just seems more and more obvious that Marty will have to hang it up when the season ends.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 12 February 2014 - 11:15 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#23 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

I think he'll just pack it in at the end of the season.

#24 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

so Marty would want that outdoor atrocity to be his last game with a Devils jersey...

www.SterioDesign.com

#25 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

so Marty would want that outdoor atrocity to be his last game with a Devils jersey...

He hasn't officially asked for a trade. This is all just speculation by us. For all we know, he met with Lou to tell him he plans to retire at the end of the season.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#26 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

No takers - Marty stays. 

#27 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Follow the Jeter...err Leader.....

make your decision # 30 and let the world know

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Tough call.  But Marty will always be a Devil no matter what.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#29 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I think it's a safe bet that Marty will be a part of the Devils organization long after he retires. That having been said, it would be in the best interests of the organization to get something for him before he retires. I would imagine that Lou and Marty discussed this idea, and while it is entirely speculation on my part, came to some sort of agreement that if the price is right, Marty will wave his no-trade clause and play a year elsewhere. Unforuntately, I do not think any team will want him as a starter, and no team will give up anything worthwhile to take him as a backup. For that reason, I voted no.

Edited by Biggie B, 12 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#30 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I voted yes. Just a strange gut feeling.

If I had to guess where he lands, it's Minnesota or maybe Chicago.

Also the discussion of the "secret meeting" has thrown this song into my head that like exactly three people on this board will like but I'm posting it anyway...

Edited by thelastonealive, 12 February 2014 - 05:13 PM.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#31 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I voted No. Marty will come to his senses and realize that he's had a great career and the time has come.

Edited by 95Crash, 12 February 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#32 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

What secret meeting?
Would not shock me if he stayed or dealt to Chicago or another WC team.

#33 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I voted yes, with Nashville being the logical choice.

Hutton has been horrible, and Dubnyk even worse.  With Rinne not guaranteed to come back this year, this may be the only situation where Marty upgrades the status quo.

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

What secret meeting?
Would not shock me if he stayed or dealt to Chicago or another WC team.

#devils Martin Brodeur met with Lou Lamoriello Thursday to talk about his future with the team.

Chicago'd probably be an ideal match though I don't really see it happening unless we take some of their garbage back since they have a number of goalies under contract (Khabibulin and LaBarbera, who aren't even playing for them now) and they're too far up against the cap to take him atm.

I'd hate him going to Minnesota even more since we'd have to deal with TWO circuses coming to town in late March but that'd be ideal for him too at this point, though they'd have one too many goalies under contract as well unless we took the horrific Backstrom contract or they fobbed it off somewhere else.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 February 2014 - 07:07 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

I voted yes, with Nashville being the logical choice.

Hutton has been horrible, and Dubnyk even worse.  With Rinne not guaranteed to come back this year, this may be the only situation where Marty upgrades the status quo.

I can see that.  They're still in the race being only 4 points back.  And Hutton and Dubnyk are no better than Marty.  I also happen to think the Predators are cool, so I would at least be able to see Marty on another team I like.  Legwand is on the block, and I would definitely do something around Marty, Fayne, and maybe another mid level prospect or pick for Legwand.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#36 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

I think it's a safe bet that Marty will be a part of the Devils organization long after he retires. That having been said, it would be in the best interests of the organization to get something for him before he retires. I would imagine that Lou and Marty discussed this idea, and while it is entirely speculation on my part, came to some sort of agreement that if the price is right, Marty will wave his no-trade clause and play a year elsewhere. Unforuntately, I do not think any team will want him as a starter, and no team will give up anything worthwhile to take him as a backup. For that reason, I voted no.

well said and why i voted yes; again, why cant he keep quiet while cory is playing amazing?

its a stretch though it suggests to me why the team can score for him and is a choking joke for schneider.

if your gonna attribute the team scoring with brodeur in net than why not attribute the team not scoring when hes not in net hahah j/k

Edited by lazer, 12 February 2014 - 08:45 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

well said and why i voted yes; again, why cant he keep quiet while cory is playing amazing?

Other than when reporters asked him specifically about a trade, he hasn't said anything.

#38 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

No, because who is going to make him a starter?  No one.

To me, this is Brodeur seeing the writing on the wall - he wants to start next year, and the less ice time he gets this year, the harder it is going to be to get a job like that anywhere.  I could see him going somewhere for a pittance to get a shot to start - I just can't see him being any good there.  The more playing time he gets, the more he'll hurt his chances.

jeez, that's depressing....

I voted no, too. I can't see Marty actually wanting to go play elsewhere. Also can't see another team wanting him as a starter. It would be too weird to see him end his career for another team.

#39 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

naaa i dont think it will end up happening.. he wants to go to a contender that will play him as a starter... good luck finding one that will actually use him as a true number one starter
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,928 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

its a stretch though it suggests to me why the team can score for him and is a choking joke for schneider.

if your gonna attribute the team scoring with brodeur in net than why not attribute the team not scoring when hes not in net hahah j/k

The bolded is complete horsesh!t...he hasn't said squat lately, and when he did before, he answered the questions being put to him as honestly as he could.  If you're in the "turn on Marty" crowd, fine, whatever, but don't make stuff up to justify it. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users