164 replies to this topic

#21 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Not disappointed at all.  Considering the fluke that was 2012, which hurt our chances of getting a better draft pick.  Then losing our top 3 scorers.  Hell, I'm surprised when we score ANY goals.  The fact that we're around .500 (of course counting the OL as a tie)!!  I couldn't be happier.  I thought we would be like Buffalo this year.

#22 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Not disappointed at all.  Considering the fluke that was 2012, which hurt our chances of getting a better draft pick.  Then losing our top 3 scorers.  Hell, I'm surprised when we score ANY goals.  The fact that we're around .500 (of course counting the OL as a tie)!!  I couldn't be happier.  I thought we would be like Buffalo this year.

Come on, the idea that we'd be Buffalo bad is insane.

Devils have an elite goalie and a defense that allows the least amount of shots in the league

#23 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

The thing is i don't think much of our players are underachieving. Goal scoring is really our only problem honestly. But just think of what each player should bring... based on average of their last seasons

Zajac 15

Elias 20

Ryder 25

Henrique 20-25

Zubrus 15

Brunner 20

Jagr 20-25

Clowe god knows...

Carter 5-10

Gionta 5-10

Bernier 5-10

Josefson 5 (and thats pushing)

Lotkionov 10

Merril 5

Gelinas 5

Zids 10

Salvador 1

Fayne 3

Volch 1

Green 5

Harrold 3

I mean... Thats what id consider a "decent" season from those guys.. but its simply not enough and no wonder we lose sooooo many close games. We're just scoring enough to survive. Most of our guys are 20 goals scorer top so that means they'll score once every 4 game (kind off) i know its more complicated than that and that it's all about the timing of the goals and all... but the whole problem is there

the last season we had success we had 3 30 goals scorers and another 20 goals scorer who left... some part of that scoring got replaced but a huge chunk still isnt

Edited by SterioDesign, 14 February 2014 - 10:24 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#24 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

1 - Definitely is frustrating.  But it's just poor roster management and a refusal to scratch veteran players for whatever reason.  Honestly at this point I'm just assuming there's something going on behind the scenes that prevents players like Salvador and Zidlicky from being scratched.  Because the alternative (PDB being a stubborn piece of garbage) is too frustrating.  So, Salvador needs to play because reasons.

2 - Meh.  JJ can and will have an NHL career - I hope he's traded so he has a chance to prove himself somewhere else not under PDB.  Lokti hasn't shown much without Kovalchuk, and Tedenby is unfortunately garbage.  Still can't believe he was drafted over Carlson (but hindsight's always 20/20).  Just don't know why you'd take a small finesse player over a solid D man..ever.  Besides that, I just don't think Boucher's ready.  He'll get a look next year for sure.

3 - Absolutely agree.  Just..mind-numbingly boring at times.  I still watch obviously but..it makes the losses that much more frustrating (I WASTED THREE HOURS WATCHING THIS GARBAGE?)

My list of players I'm especially frustrated with, in no particular order:

- Zajac:  Looks like the Zajac we feared was real is, in fact, real.  As in, without a big producer on his wings, he's not going to put up points.  Solid defensively, but that contract is absurd for a 40 point center.

- Brunner & Ryder:  Combined because they're both equally as invisible when they're not 'on'.  I just don't think players like this are meant for PDB's system - I think they excel on the rush, which the Devils simply don't employ.  Blame it on the lack of speed, but this team isn't dangerous on the rush anymore..at all.

- Salvador & Volchenkov:  One of these two needs to go.  Salvador preferably. 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,480 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

How is Ryder a good player on the rush?  He's slow.  His skill is his shot, and he's been getting plenty of shots lately, they are just not going in.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Come on, the idea that we'd be Buffalo bad is insane.

Devils have an elite goalie and a defense that allows the least amount of shots in the league

That, and some people were so sure Kovy was holding us back and we'd 'become a team again' with balanced scoring from 924 third and fourth liners. Guess that didn't work out.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

That, and some people were so sure Kovy was holding us back and we'd 'become a team again' with balanced scoring from 924 third and fourth liners. Guess that didn't work out.

Most (rational) fans had us around where we currently are. Pretty amazing NJ isn't quite buried considering they can't score and haven't won any shootouts

#28 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Most (rational) fans had us around where we currently are. Pretty amazing NJ isn't quite buried considering they can't score and haven't won any shootouts

I think there was some intrigue more than anything else initially, with all of the new bodies like Jagr, Ryder and Brunner, Schneider, etc.  I think it was reasonable to expect this team would be better than last season's, especially since the goaltending figured to be significantly better (it couldn't get much worse than 2013).  Unfortunately, as we're seeing, the new bodies with the exception of Jagr haven't done a whole lot...not consistently, anyway.  We know how great Schneider has been of late.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#29 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

How is Ryder a good player on the rush?  He's slow.  His skill is his shot, and he's been getting plenty of shots lately, they are just not going in.

He may not be the play driver, but you can't honestly tell me you think this dump/chase/cycle system benefits a player like Ryder more than a rush-oriented attack would.

I think there was some intrigue more than anything else initially, with all of the new bodies like Jagr, Ryder and Brunner, Schneider, etc.  I think it was reasonable to expect this team would be better than last season's, especially since the goaltending figured to be significantly better (it couldn't get much worse than 2013).  Unfortunately, as we're seeing, the new bodies with the exception of Jagr haven't done a whole lot...not consistently, anyway.  We know how great Schneider has been of late.   

I think this season has shown that, while hockey is most definitely a team sport, quantity can't always replace quality.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#30 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

This. I pretty much figured the team to be only slightly better than they are. I was expecting/hoping to be a 5th-7th seed most of the year, so I can't be super disappointed in where they ended up.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#31 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

What exactly have the owners done to kill the atmosphere?  I get they took away the goal song.  But how does that affect the cheering and clapping during the actual the actual game?  What exactly did the owners do?

The atmosphere is on the fans, not the owners.

Ticket prices, goal song, changing around little things that fans loved like the high school jerseys...

#32 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Ticket prices, goal song, changing around little things that fans loved like the high school jerseys...

I hate the high ticket prices too.  They also didn't take away the high school jerseys.  They just moved them.

What do these things have to do with the atmosphere?  Contrary to popular belief, the attendance isn't any lower than it was in years past sans last year.  Not counting the outdoor game, the Devils average an 88% seating capacity this year (14,604 average out of 16,592 seating capacity).

So what exactly is different?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#33 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Just stop already.  Your constant bitching about the owners has been about your precious goal song and only the goal song.  It's over and just forget it.

Ticket prices have always been high, but you still have Stubhub for your dirt cheap tickets so really nothing has changed.  Oh boo hoo the new owners are not doing those ticket deals anymore.  Well hate to break it to you but they are running a business and not running as a fan.  Look at great running it as a fan did for JVB.  You would really want to go through that again last year of constant articles in the paper and the league almost taking over the team?

Also very few people noticed the jerseys were moved and even less care.

#34 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

That isn't really true if you look at what the ultra-rational observers were saying.  Apparently, last year it was all the fault of goaltending and Kovy was never that good anyway.  Otherwise, in every other department except the one that counts, goals, we evidently were good at.   Well, we have arguably the best goalie in hockey, or certainly a top five goalie and no Kovy and his bad points per icetime ratio (or whatever goal posts people want to move to tell us he wasn't a good player) and we're still in the same place as last year. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,480 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

He may not be the play driver, but you can't honestly tell me you think this dump/chase/cycle system benefits a player like Ryder more than a rush-oriented attack would.

http://www.habseyeso...part-3-analysis

How else do you get goals in a possession system?  Someone has to score them.  Why not a guy with a terrific shot?

That isn't really true if you look at what the ultra-rational observers were saying.  Apparently, last year it was all the fault of goaltending and Kovy was never that good anyway.  Otherwise, in every other department except the one that counts, goals, we evidently were good at.   Well, we have arguably the best goalie in hockey, or certainly a top five goalie and no Kovy and his bad points per icetime ratio (or whatever goal posts people want to move to tell us he wasn't a good player) and we're still in the same place as last year. 

If they hadn't wasted the vast majority of their best offensive performances with the worse goalie and could win half their shootouts, NJ would have 4-5 more points and people wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

They lost three 30 goal scorers and replaced them with zero, maybe one if Jagr keeps going. Its common sense you aren't going to win that way unless your defense was so lights out they were giving up less than two a game. 

If Corey started most of the games and still had his current save percentage and GAA, maybe they would be in a slightly better position. But there were a LOT of one goal losses/shootout horror shows that could have been avoided if you threw another 30 goal scorer or two in the mix.

#37 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

I hate the high ticket prices too.  They also didn't take away the high school jerseys.  They just moved them.

What do these things have to do with the atmosphere?  Contrary to popular belief, the attendance isn't any lower than it was in years past sans last year.  Not counting the outdoor game, the Devils average an 88% seating capacity this year (14,604 average out of 16,592 seating capacity).

So what exactly is different?

Attendance and atmosphere arent necessarily one in the same. The crowds arent into the games like they were last year. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the low offense, but you cant also discount the of the Diablos, the growing vuvuzela use, and the anti-climactic goal song.

Just stop already.  Your constant bitching about the owners has been about your precious goal song and only the goal song.  It's over and just forget it.

Ticket prices have always been high, but you still have Stubhub for your dirt cheap tickets so really nothing has changed.  Oh boo hoo the new owners are not doing those ticket deals anymore.  Well hate to break it to you but they are running a business and not running as a fan.  Look at great running it as a fan did for JVB.  You would really want to go through that again last year of constant articles in the paper and the league almost taking over the team?

Also very few people noticed the jerseys were moved and even less care.

You're complaining about someone constantly bitching about something? lol thats funny. Keep speaking on behalf of people, and inaccurately at that, too. It'll give you something else to complain about.

#38 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Attendance and atmosphere arent necessarily one in the same. The crowds arent into the games like they were last year. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the low offense, but you cant also discount the of the Diablos, the growing vuvuzela use, and the anti-climactic goal song.

You're complaining about someone constantly bitching about something? lol thats funny. Keep speaking on behalf of people, and inaccurately at that, too. It'll give you something else to complain about.

Edit: I don't care anymore, just say what you want.  The constant whining about the precious goal song will never go away with some people.

Maybe the reason for the dead atmosphere is because the Devils are a flat-out snoozefest most nights.  I have left more games early this year than I have since at least 2008 because they are just flat-out boring.

Edited by DevsMan84, 14 February 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#39 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

They lost three 30 goal scorers and replaced them with zero, maybe one if Jagr keeps going. Its common sense you aren't going to win that way unless your defense was so lights out they were giving up less than two a game. 

If Corey started most of the games and still had his current save percentage and GAA, maybe they would be in a slightly better position. But there were a LOT of one goal losses/shootout horror shows that could have been avoided if you threw another 30 goal scorer or two in the mix.

The problem is two out of the three probably wouldn't have scored 30 as Devils this season if all had remained here.  Look up Kovy's SKA numbers...he's not exactly lighting it up over there (16 goals in 44 GP), after not lighting up here last season.  And we know Clarkson's story...he got a tremendous amount of puck luck in his 30-goal season.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#40 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Good thread DR33 and the conrtribution from others is right on. The Devils are a frustrating organization since 2005 from top to bottom and yet we continue to watch 3 hours whenever they play.

The Olympic break has been helpful to reduce the stress the Devils provide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users