164 replies to this topic

#141 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

You can into that theory if you want, but most Bruins fans will tell you he sucked. Regardless, you should never trade your best players if you're in a playoff race.

Yeah this is about 100% wrong. Jagr was a beast on the corners, and excellent on the back check. He kept the puck in the other end for long periods of time. I don't understand what people are thinking when they say he was bad

#142 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I actually watched him play for the B's. He wasn't good. He doesn't do well as a depth forward which is basically what he was in Boston. He's at his best when he's in a top 6 role.

Agreed. I've seen the unexpected happen almost as often as the expected. It's crazy how unpredictable the NHL playoffs are.

If you think there's a shot at the playoffs by the deadline, you keep him, even if you know you're not re-signing him. Once in the playoffs, anything is possible. Even moreso when you have someone as good as Schneider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are 3 points out, but 4 teams back. They may very well be out of the race by the deadline unless they figure out their offense. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#143 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Yeah? Watch it again cause your wrong. Watch Malkin look like a bitch every time Jagr completely undresses him on the boards. Looking at the standard comments on TSN or ESPN for fan comments doesn't mean anything.

I actually watched him play for the B's. He wasn't good. He doesn't do well as a depth forward which is basically what he was in Boston. He's at his best when he's in a top 6 role.

Agreed. I've seen the unexpected happen almost as often as the expected. It's crazy how unpredictable the NHL playoffs are.

#144 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

He was not a depth forward.  He played 19 minutes a game and played at even strength with Marchand and Bergeron in the playoffs.  And he was awesome, but pucks didn't go in for him.

Edited by Triumph, 18 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#145 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

They are 3 points out, but 4 teams back. They may very well be out of the race by the deadline unless they figure out their offense. 

Then let's wait until to deadline before we decide if we want to sell or not.

It's too early to be worrying about the number teams we have to jump over.  It's very possible to jump over two teams in one day.  The 3 points back is far more important right now than the 4 teams we have to jump over.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#146 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yeah this is about 100% wrong. Jagr was a beast on the corners, and excellent on the back check. He kept the puck in the other end for long periods of time. I don't understand what people are thinking when they say he was bad

Bruins fans would definitely disagree.

I do agree he's not doing much different than what he's doing now with us in terms of style.  But he didn't produce a lot of points with Boston especially in the playoffs.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#147 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

So what. He did everything else for gods sake. Stop using social media outlets like ESPN,TSN, or bleacher report to go and justify fans disagree. Its a lousy and useless excuse. He wasn't useless and if that is your argument towards it that fans you see disagree, you lose a lot of credibility., then

Bruins fans would definitely disagree.

I do agree he's not doing much different than what he's doing now with us in terms of style. But he didn't produce a lot of points with Boston especially in the playoffs.

#148 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yeah? Watch it again cause your wrong. Watch Malkin look like a bitch every time Jagr completely undresses him on the boards. Looking at the standard comments on TSN or ESPN for fan comments doesn't mean anything.

I watched the entire playoffs last year.  And I'm not using TSN comments as my reference.

He was not a depth forward.  He played 19 minutes a game and played at even strength with Marchand and Bergeron in the playoffs.  And he was awesome, but pucks didn't go in for him.

Yea but he was on the 3rd line for the most part.  But if that's your opinion, I won't argue.

Edited by Mike Brown, 18 February 2014 - 08:23 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#149 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

So what. He did everything else for gods sake. Stop using social media outlets like ESPN,TSN, or bleacher report to go and justify fans disagree. Its a lousy and useless excuse. He wasn't useless and if that is your argument towards it that fans you see disagree, you lose a lot of credibility., then

What makes you think I'm using those resources that you listed?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#150 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Few people saying he sucked means he sucked? A few can be labeled as one the biggest fan bases in the NHL right? That'd called grouping. Their were PLENTY of bruin fans who looked past the points and saw Jagr's help. He wasn't brought in for points either, the experience alone automatically helps.

What makes you think I'm using those resources that you listed?

#151 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

Few people saying he sucked means he sucked? A few can be labeled as one the biggest fan bases in the NHL right? That'd called grouping. Their were PLENTY of bruin fans who looked past the points and saw Jagr's help. He wasn't brought in for points either, the experience alone automatically helps.

It was far more than a few people.  And to say he wasn't brought in for points is kind of laughable if you ask me.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#152 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

He gets traded every deadline now. He isn't expected to throw numbers up, he's been sought after for the leadership and experience he brings teams who are looking for it and want to make a run. Boston got it, didn't win And didn't want to keep him after wards and it will be the same thing if he gets dealt at the deadline here.

It was far more than a few people. And to say he wasn't brought in for points is kind of laughable if you ask me.

#153 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

He gets traded every deadline now. He isn't expected to throw numbers up, he's been sought after for the leadership and experience he brings teams who are looking for it and want to make a run. Boston got it, didn't win And didn't want to keep him after wards and it will be the same thing if he gets dealt at the deadline here.

True, but considering the Bruins traded their 1st for him, I doubt they weren't expecting him to put up points.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#154 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

He can and its more of a bonus it seems with him. The experience and qualities he brings are second or none.

True, but considering the Bruins traded their 1st for him, I doubt they weren't expecting him to put up points.

#155 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Yea but he was on the 3rd line for the most part.  But if that's your opinion, I won't argue.

It's not an opinion.  Jagr was 6th among Bruins forwards in ice time last year.  His most common forward linemates were Bergeron and Marchand, which is a 3rd line if you are on Mars, maybe.  He was a very important player for them.  It's not an opinion.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#156 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

It's not an opinion.  Jagr was 6th among Bruins forwards in ice time last year.  His most common forward linemates were Bergeron and Marchand, which is a 3rd line if you are on Mars, maybe.  He was a very important player for them.  It's not an opinion.

The bolded is definitely subjective.  Whether he was good or bad is also an opinion.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#157 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

The bolded is definitely subjective. Whether he was good or bad is also an opinion.

mike I'm not sure what you're trying to argue- you don't want jagr traded so whats the difference if people think he could bring back a first if he was?

I don't want jagr traded but I think that if he was it wouldn't be a stretch to expect someone to pay a first or at least a conditional first/second.

#158 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

mike I'm not sure what you're trying to argue- you don't want jagr traded so whats the difference if people think he could bring back a first if he was?

I don't want jagr traded but I think that if he was it wouldn't be a stretch to expect someone to pay a first or at least a conditional first/second.

My point was GM's are gonna remember him wearing down like last year so his value won't be as high.  He also slowed down around this time with the Flyers.  Hopefully he doesn't do the same this year if he stays with us.  But I can definitely see it happening.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#159 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

My point was GM's are gonna remember him wearing down like last year so his value won't be as high.  He also slowed down around this time with the Flyers.  Hopefully he doesn't do the same this year if he stays with us.  But I can definitely see it happening.

Umm, he had eight points in 11 playoff games with the Flyers, which is very good considering that the Flyers as a team were dominated in the second round by the Devils. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#160 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

Umm, he had eight points in 11 playoff games with the Flyers, which is very good considering that the Flyers as a team were dominated in the second round by the Devils. 

He was barely noticeable in that series against us.  And he was still only T-5th on his team in playoff points.  But here's my point.  He only had 20 points in 33 games after the All Star break that season.  If you add the playoffs it's 28 points in 44 games (0.63 p/g).  While it's not horrible, you see a significant decline from the 0.85 p/g rate you saw in the first 40 games.  His woes that season actually started before the All-Star break.  He had 31 points in 32 games from October to the end of December.  He had 23 points in the remaining 41 games he played.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users