• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

This one won’t be given a stunningly singular place on the international geopolitical stage like the one in 1980 in New York State.

This one merely provides the platform for one-time Devils teammates and linchpins Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk to appear on the same sheet of ice for the first time since Game 6 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final in Los Angeles, before each fled New Jersey to go home again; Captain America Parise to Minnesota and Russian winger Kovalchuk to the KHL.

http://nypost.com/20...miracle-on-ice/

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Who needs Parise / Kovalchuk when we have Henrique / Zajac / and Joe Whitney... :giggle:

#3 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'm waiting for Brooks' next article "Why Germany Can Never Avenge World War II"

#4 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Funny, Don Cherry believes Russians are still obsessed with avenging the 1972 summit series against Canada.

http://www.torontosu...-against-canada

There's a lot of bitter Russians according to North American commentators.

Posted Image

#5 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

Yeah, players who weren't even born care a lot about getting revenge for those games. /sarcasm

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#6 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

"I am Enigo Montoyavich, you beat my country, prepare to die!"

#7 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Once again brooks is writing for writings sake- what does Russia need to avenge? Since 1980 they've won 3 golds, a silver and a bronze. The US in that same time only has two silvers... Am I missing something here?

I think the pressure is on the Russian team simply because they're the host, but I don't really think any Russians are thinking about 1980 at all.

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

This is one hell of a skilled Russian team.

They're not as deep as Canada imo, but a skilled team nonetheless

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#9 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

This is one hell of a skilled Russian team.

They're not as deep as Canada imo, but a skilled team nonetheless

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Their top 6 is the definition of world class fowards,  Radulov(ehh)-Datsyuk-Kovalchuk, Ovie-Malkin-Semin.  Besides that core, they also have Kulemin, Tikhonov, Tarasenko, and Nichuskin to jump up into the top 6.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#10 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Russia has the 3 best shooters in the world imo.  I'm still not sold on their defense though.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#11 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Shouldn't the Finnish be wanting vengeance since they lost the Gold Medal game?

#12 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Shouldn't the Finnish be wanting vengeance since they lost the Gold Medal game?

The game against Finland itself wasn't the "gold medal game".  While it was the clinching game for the US, I do believe it was still possible for the US to win gold even if they had lost.  It was also possible for them to end up with no medal had they lost.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#13 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

The game against Finland itself wasn't the "gold medal game". While it was the clinching game for the US, I do believe it was still possible for the US to win gold even if they had lost. It was also possible for them to end up with no medal had they lost.

This is correct, although no one ever mentions this. The tournament format called for pool play in the medal round, not single elimination. In the medal rounds The top two teams in each group played each of the top two teams in the other group. Points from opening round groupings carried over. Soviet game was not a semifinal and the Finland game was not a final. In fact, Finland didn't even medal. The soviets got silver and Sweden bronze

#14 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

This is correct, although no one ever mentions this. The tournament format called for pool play in the medal round, not single elimination. In the medal rounds The top two teams in each group played each of the top two teams in the other group. Points from opening round groupings carried over. Soviet game was not a semifinal and the Finland game was not a final. In fact, Finland didn't even medal. The soviets got silver and Sweden bronze

It is funny...if asked, I think a lot of people would tell you that the US beat the USSR to take the gold, while some others would tell you that the US beat Finland to take the gold (thinking that the US-Finland game was the gold medal game).  The tournament format used in the '80 Olympics is a little complicated if one isn't familiar with it, but it does make some sense (though that part of the story...how exactly the US earned their goal medals...has been largely forgotten or overlooked by many). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#15 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

It is funny...if asked, I think a lot of people would tell you that the US beat the USSR to take the gold, while some others would tell you that the US beat Finland to take the gold (thinking that the US-Finland game was the gold medal game). The tournament format used in the '80 Olympics is a little complicated if one isn't familiar with it, but it does make some sense (though that part of the story...how exactly the US earned their goal medals...has been largely forgotten or overlooked by many).

while this is true, isn't it also true that the US had to win both games in order to win gold... I know it wasn't necessarily a gold medal game, but going into the soviet game we knew we had to win the next two to take gold. Otherwise I think the soviets still could have won if the US lost to Finland.

Or maybe my math is off...

Edited by dmann422, 17 February 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#16 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Next month's Brooks article: "Why Devils can never avenge 'The Guarantee'"

#17 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Next month's Brooks article: "Why Devils can never avenge 'The Guarantee'"

Nah, Neverson will come out of retirement to write that one, then promptly re-retire. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#18 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

Nah, Neverson will come out of retirement to write that one, then promptly re-retire. 

Haha that's right!  Wrong guy.

Idk it seems Brooks has been going soft on the Devils lately though.  However, Neverson was at times just outright brutal and I don't think Brooks ever reached that level.

#19 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

To be honest, the past week I've felt the way an honest Rangers fan must feel with the constant harping over the 1994 Stanley Cup. The way the nationwide media are framing this team (and the USA-Russia matchup) in constant reference to the "Miracle" team just reminds me (an honest-to-myself hockey fan) that our American Olympic teams haven't really accomplished all that much in a really really long time. 

A couple silvers since then is nothing to write home about. We have a very mediocre history on the world stage when you really step back and look at it. Constantly referencing 1980 just reminds me that this year is gold or bust, I don't think they should be aiming for anything less, considering all the hype we give our national team.

Once again brooks is writing for writings sake- what does Russia need to avenge? Since 1980 they've won 3 golds, a silver and a bronze. The US in that same time only has two silvers... Am I missing something here?

Rangers logic.

Edited by DJ Eco, 17 February 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#20 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

To be honest, the past week I've felt the way an honest Rangers fan must feel with the constant harping over the 1994 Stanley Cup. The way the nationwide media are framing this team (and the USA-Russia matchup) in constant reference to the "Miracle" team just reminds me (an honest-to-myself hockey fan) that our American Olympic teams haven't really accomplished all that much in a really really long time.

A couple silvers since then is nothing to write home about. We have a very mediocre history on the world stage when you really step back and look at it. Constantly referencing 1980 just reminds me that this year is gold or bust, I don't think they should be aiming for anything less, considering all the hype we give our national team.

Stated perfectly. The press needs a narrative. Its even worse now that you have people who couldn't tell you what offsides is, trying to add to the narrative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users