34 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Saw that Butch Goring is auctioning of a bunch of stuff (rings, jerseys, mini-Cups, etc...I'm assuming he's the one putting most, if not all, of those items up).  Funny, I guess it does get to a point where, as much as we fans might think of these items as sacred entities, to former players, it all eventually just becomes "stuff" that's taking up space and is no longer special (of course, it could be something as simple as "I need money!").  I guess it probably reaches a point where, for some of these guys, if they ever had a room where they had a "shroud" set up with their trophies, maybe a framed jersey or two and some other memorabilia, one day they just look at it all and say "Man, I'm not that guy anymore, what am I really trying to prove with all of this stuff on display, I'm an old man now!"  If it's between a closet and making some money off it, I can see why some former athletes start selling this stuff off...it's still hard for me to picture, but then again I'll never be in their shoes.   

In Stan's case (and maybe I'm speculating here), he is 80+ years old and if his family doesn't want to keep the memorabilia it probably makes more sense for him to sell stuff now and get money to leave them instead of rings that don't mean much to them anyway.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Interesting little tidbit on Stan...I remember in an old old hockey digest of mine that the first team he actually rooted for were the old NY Americans

To me he always seems to favor the Isles

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#23 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I like Pickers because there have been instances where the seller offered what they thought was too little and paid them more. They've also donated stuff as well.

Pawn Stars is funny because there is always someone who gets an item appraised for like 3000 dollars retail and then they want Rick to buy it for 3000 dollars.

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#24 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

Interesting little tidbit on Stan...I remember in an old old hockey digest of mine that the first team he actually rooted for were the old NY Americans

To me he always seems to favor the Isles

I first remember hearing/seeing Stan in between periods of Islanders broadcasts on SportsChannel when they were in the midst of their Dynasty run. I just figured he was an Islanders guy.

And then when he was doing a lot of Devils broadcasts for a while there in the '90s, I thought he had become a big Devils guy.

I guess what I'm saying is while Stan can be a polarizing figure with his outspokenness, he usually does a good job with the team he's covering IMO.

#25 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

I like Pickers because there have been instances where the seller offered what they thought was too little and paid them more. They've also donated stuff as well.

Pawn Stars is funny because there is always someone who gets an item appraised for like 3000 dollars retail and then they want Rick to buy it for 3000 dollars.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but all these shows are scripted and staged as professional wrestling.

Posted Image

#26 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,285 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

'Its time for my Cheers and Jeers, Yays and Boos'. That's what I remember most about Stan from watching the Devils on SportsChannel as a kid. And I always looked forward to his trade rumors lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#27 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thing with that is they pay a lot for the shoe, but the business it self I'd actually their. Say for example, South Beach tow, is a legitimate business down there. They pay actors for the show it self, but the companies are real.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but all these shows are scripted and staged as professional wrestling.

#28 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

i remember watching hardcore pawn and a guy came in with a pistons championship ring. he got one for working in their ticket sales/promotions

#29 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

yeah I hate "reality" tv for the most part like I said the only one I really watch is the pickers because it has some history mixed in it... But yeah it's funny how they try to present it as unscripted when you just have to look at the camera angles to realize it definitely is.

That being said the places they visit and people they see are legit/not actors.

Sorry to veer this so far off topic...

#30 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

I would be shocked if those rings went for less than $25K.  The big question I have is why on earth did they sell them all in one lot?????? Seems to me that they would have done better splitting them up.

#31 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

I know a guy who was from New England and worked for the Rays (he's with the Lightning now). I asked him once if he had become a Rays fan working for them, obviously being a huge Sox fan growing up up there. He said he wanted them to win a championship so he would get a ring. He told me the breakdown of the value of rings they give to the different tiers of members of the organization. Obviously the players and management got something like a $30,000 ring, and there were like four or five tiers of employees that got a different value of rings, from guys like the grounds keepers, media, stadium management, the office job type people, and he as an intern would've gotten a $3,000 dollar ring. The point is, yes, they give out rings of different values to people in the organization.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 19 February 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#32 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

If I had that kinda money, I'd go all-in, and I'd probably wear them to every game.

#33 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Remember when that player from the 1980's Miracle team's Gold medal went up on auction? That was a sad story.

#34 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Remember when that player from the 1980's Miracle team's Gold medal went up on auction? That was a sad story.

Do you remember what player it was?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#35 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Alls I'm saying is that those rings look nothing like the ones on the Devils' website. Why is that?

Either those are fake, or TV people get a lesser quality ring than players do

http://devils.nhl.co...s_sta_rin_index

Alls I'm saying is that those rings look nothing like the ones on the Devils' website. Why is that?

Correct. Employees who get rings usually get a scaled down version. Some teams offer a lesser version to key employees free of charge with the option to upgrade to a bigger/the full size version for a cost. 

Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users