Photo

Why I Could Never Root for this Year's U.S. Olympic team.

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Nothing wrong with Quick or Kane. Doesn't matter it Jannsen was dressed, its about the flag and the country not, could matter less who plays, we all represent the same flag at the end of the day.

#22 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

I just couldn't get into Olympic hockey. Big ice is terrible and I'm not a fan of the tactics used by every team except Canada, Russia and Sweden (I think they're saved by Karlsson who is dynamic).

#23 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

But the op was being serious, since the first half of the post wasn't about the article.

The US team may have some clowns on it but most of the Canadian population has a total superiority complex.  I can understand, say rooting for the Czechs over the US but rooting for Canada over the US is like rooting for the Rangers over the Devils.

I completely agree with this. I was not rooting for Canada over the USA, I was not rooting for anyone. I don't want to see the U.S. lose, but I also don't care if they win. And like I said, I found the article I posted to be a bit obnoxious (totally a superiority complex there) but his points on the players are legit.

"Why I Could Never Take njdevs.com Seriously"

15 yr olds like this. And people responding to him like he has a point.

This is just an immature post on your part. Whether you take NJDevs seriously or not, it is the best hockey forum on the web and doesn't need your accreditation - especially from someone who tries to levy personal insults (and about my age? really?) and not offer anything to the debate.

Pretty ridiculous post. You root for the flag. How is Quick an a$$hole? Patrick Kane: "Do I even need to explain?" Yes, you do need to explain. Stupid all around.

From the Wiki:

Assault and theft charges

On August 9, 2009, Kane and his cousin, James M. Kane, were arrested in Buffalo. According to a police report, Kane was apprehended around 5:00 a.m. after allegedly punching cab driver Jan Radecki when he claimed to not have proper change for their trip fare. Kane and his cousin's cab fare came out to be $14.80, and they gave him $15.00.[19]

Kane was charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief, and theft of services. He pled not guilty. On August 17, Kane apologized for the distress he caused, saying he had been "at the wrong place at the wrong time," and mentioned his family, the Chicago Blackhawks organization, and their fan base—but not Radecki.[20] Kane and his cousin appeared before agrand jury on August 19.[21] While they were cleared of any felony charges, the two were still indicted on less severe misdemeanor assault, theft and harassment charges.[21] Kane and his cousin reiterated their not guilty pleas when appearing in court the next day.[22] On August 27, Kane and cousin pled guilty to noncriminal disorderly conduct charges, and were both given conditional discharges, avoiding any penalties if they stayed out of trouble for a year, and also ordered to apologize to Radecki.[23]

Then there was this evidence of his classiness: http://deadspin.com/...kend-in-madison

On Monday we showed you photos of a soused Patrick Kane in Madison, Wis., and then we asked you if you knew more about what happened while Kane was there. We had heard some bad stories—that Kane supposedly choked a woman, that Kane supposedly said anti-Semitic things—and we wanted to know if other people had, too.

If he is your cup of tea that's fine. But I ain't rooting for a guy like that. You should research first before calling my post 'stupid', that way you don't look uninformed. I support my country fervently, but your comment lacks insight. I can support my country and not root against it, while not wanting to cheer on the USA hockey team as a personal decision. 

Edited by Neb00rs, 21 February 2014 - 06:59 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,491 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I just couldn't get into Olympic hockey. Big ice is terrible and I'm not a fan of the tactics used by every team except Canada, Russia and Sweden (I think they're saved by Karlsson who is dynamic).

Russia's tactics suck too.  I agree that the big ice has hurt my enjoyment of the tournament, as well as the timing of the games - I wouldn't mind if they didn't go to South Korea in 2018.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#26 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Russia's tactics suck too.  I agree that the big ice has hurt my enjoyment of the tournament, as well as the timing of the games - I wouldn't mind if they didn't go to South Korea in 2018.

I think McKenzie tweeted yesterday that a lot of NHL brass are dead set against Korea 2018.  I can't remember the last Olympics where this many players have been injured.  Tavares, Zetterberg, Barkov, Kopecky, Martin and Zuccarello is a pretty impressive list

#27 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

New Freeland didn't make the cut this year so I could care less.

c480x270_45.jpg

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

I think McKenzie tweeted yesterday that a lot of NHL brass are dead set against Korea 2018.  I can't remember the last Olympics where this many players have been injured.  Tavares, Zetterberg, Barkov, Kopecky, Martin and Zuccarello is a pretty impressive list

Not to mention that these are severe injuries too.

Barkov is about a month.

Zetterberg is 8 weeks.

Zuc is 4 weeks.

Martin was just an illness I think.

Kopecky is indefinite.

Tavares is out until September.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#29 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

If you can't root for your own country regardless who is on the team you can go fvck yourself.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 21 February 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#30 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

If you can't root for your own country regardless who is on the team you can go fvck yourself.

Nationalism and stuff

#31 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

So I take it that you would root for Team USA if Hitler was on the team?  :P

#32 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

So I take it that you would root for Team USA if Hitler was on the team? :P

If the US won the gold you wouldn't even have posted this thread. You're a joke.

#33 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

If the US won the gold you wouldn't even have posted this thread. You're a joke.

You made a weak and mean-toned point and I made a joke, lighten up. You don't decide how I feel or if I wouldn't have posted this thread if the USA had won. The article I posted in the OP is what spurred me to make my post.

On a side note, I am really surprised at all the personal insults coming from people today. It's like: we're NJDevs, we don't do that kind of stuff...usually.

Edited by Neb00rs, 21 February 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#34 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

I know Islanders fans were rooting against Team USA simply for leaving Okposo off the team.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#35 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

I almost bought a goddamn McDonagh team USA shirt before today's debacle because he is awesome and they only were selling NYR player USA shirts in NYC. It's all about the stars and stripes, dogs 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#36 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

Agreed, Team USA is more important than the New Jersey Devils.  One is our country and one is a business.

I know Islanders fans were rooting against Team USA simply for leaving Okposo off the team.

I'm sure most Islanders fans were rooting for USA, but the ones who weren't can go fvck themselves.  I don't care if Team USA was comprised of the entire Rangers' roster, I will root for USA. 

This isn't some blind patriotic mumbo-jumbo either--I hope I don't turn this thread too political but I haven't been a fan of our government for over a decade, but that doesn't stop me from rooting for my fellow Americans in every competition.  I know some people that are indifferent to Team USA because of their disagreement with the government and I find that ridiculous.  The athletes representing the United States have more in common with me and you than the politicians we may disagree with, and they also have much more in common with us than the athletes of any other nation.  If I was good enough at anything to be eligible for the Olympics, I would be representing the US regardless of political beliefs.  International sports is about the athletes, not about the government spectators, and not about the club teams that the athletes play on during non-international competition.  Go Team USA.

Excluding the inferior teams that I play on, Team USA is my favorite hockey team.  The New Jersey Devils are second.

Edited by devilsfan26, 22 February 2014 - 01:59 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#37 landofvanilla

landofvanilla

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

I wasn't rooting against USA, just against ZP and Brown the diver. It was enough that I wasn't rooting FOR them. I'll take it as a consolation.

For me, hockey > country lines. I play with people from all over, so I look at players based on merit and character.

Edited by landofvanilla, 22 February 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#38 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

While I find it very funny that the OP used a joke column by a Canadian writer to help his point (not a joke in that it is crap, but the point of the column was meant in jest), and while I think his reasons for hating each player a little ridiculous, it's perfectly fine that he couldn't get into rooting for Team USA. Not sure why he deserves a lot of hate.

You spend all year, every year rooting against these players, and they get re-branded as Team USA for two weeks every 4 years and you HAVE to love them, now?

For some Team USA > NJ Devils and the NHL. For some it isn't. There doesn't have to be a right or a wrong.

Edited by devilsrule33, 22 February 2014 - 06:48 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#39 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Flag and Country...... it doesn't get old.

#40 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

You made a weak and mean-toned point and I made a joke, lighten up. You don't decide how I feel or if I wouldn't have posted this thread if the USA had won. The article I posted in the OP is what spurred me to make my post.

On a side note, I am really surprised at all the personal insults coming from people today. It's like: we're NJDevs, we don't do that kind of stuff...usually.

not enough mods on here and the one or two that dangle around never do a thing.. HF forum is much more policed
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users