Photo

Why I Could Never Root for this Year's U.S. Olympic team.

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

QFT

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 22 February 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#42 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

I look at it simply like this: I don't give two sh!ts about Olympic hockey so I could care less who wins.

#43 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Personally I hope the nhl does not participate in the Olympics anymore. Not only because of injuries but a lot of people seem to still root for individuals instead of the team itself. That's just not what the Olympics is supposed to be about.

There's a good chance we would be sending over people like Schneider, Larsson, Greene, and possible a couple of others in 2018. I wouldn't I wouldn't want any of them getting injured like Tavares.

#44 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

It's a good thing Brown, with all his "heart", was selected so he could ride the bench this game.

Because it's not like Bobby Ryan could've helped with his scoring ability..

I hope Burke has nothing to do with the selection process next time. If the NHL participates

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#45 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

It's a good thing Brown, with all his "heart", was selected so he could ride the bench this game.

Because it's not like Bobby Ryan could've helped with his scoring ability..

I hope Burke has nothing to do with the selection process next time. If the NHL participates

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Why stop at Burke...clean out all the old guard too like Poile and Don Waddell.  Maybe next time they shouldn't mock Dean for giving a Keith Yandle thesis.

#46 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Agreed, Team USA is more important than the New Jersey Devils.  One is our country and one is a business.

I'm sure most Islanders fans were rooting for USA, but the ones who weren't can go fvck themselves.  I don't care if Team USA was comprised of the entire Rangers' roster, I will root for USA. 

This isn't some blind patriotic mumbo-jumbo either--I hope I don't turn this thread too political but I haven't been a fan of our government for over a decade, but that doesn't stop me from rooting for my fellow Americans in every competition.  I know some people that are indifferent to Team USA because of their disagreement with the government and I find that ridiculous.  The athletes representing the United States have more in common with me and you than the politicians we may disagree with, and they also have much more in common with us than the athletes of any other nation.  If I was good enough at anything to be eligible for the Olympics, I would be representing the US regardless of political beliefs.  International sports is about the athletes, not about the government spectators, and not about the club teams that the athletes play on during non-international competition.  Go Team USA.

Excluding the inferior teams that I play on, Team USA is my favorite hockey team.  The New Jersey Devils are second.

It has nothing to do with politics.  Team USA is a group of All-Stars that get together randomly for two weeks every four years.  There's no emotional investement in that team just because they have the uniform on.  Granted you don't see any of the Olympians really between Olympics but at least with amateurs you know they train their whole life for this.  The pros train their whole life to play in the NHL and win the Stanley Cup, they're just hired guns in a competition like this, much like the basketball Dream Teams. 

If anything I'm at the point where I'm glad they're getting shown up now so they DO clean out all the old guard in management.

#47 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

It has nothing to do with politics.  Team USA is a group of All-Stars that get together randomly for two weeks every four years.  There's no emotional investement in that team just because they have the uniform on.  Granted you don't see any of the Olympians really between Olympics but at least with amateurs you know they train their whole life for this.  The pros train their whole life to play in the NHL and win the Stanley Cup, they're just hired guns in a competition like this, much like the basketball Dream Teams. 

If anything I'm at the point where I'm glad they're getting shown up now so they DO clean out all the old guard in management.

Agreed. The Devils are much more important to me than Team USA.  I easily spend a dozen hours a week watching games, chatting, visiting message boards, etc. Team USA, not so much

#48 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Team USA had little heart and bad karma.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#49 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

There are no hockey players that train all their life for the Olympics.  If the pros weren't in it, it would be guys who just weren't good enough to go pro or haven't been drafted yet.  It wouldn't be guys who dream of playing in the Olympics, and the same can be said of any sport that has professional leagues.  That doesn't change the fact that this is a team of elite hockey players representing my home country against the best that other countries have to offer. 

International sports mean more than the pros to me because there are no salaries and the players are playing for their country, an entity that has real meaning, rather than playing for whatever billionaire owner gave them the biggest contract to be a product in their business.  Players can't be traded or sign with another team, their country is always their country.  There is no entry draft in place to promote every team getting a chance to contend every few years, the countries just need to produce better players.

While I am a fan of the NHL, it just doesn't have the same meaning to me.  The Devils' players generally speaking really don't have much attachment to New Jersey.  They are just hired to play here.  "New Jersey Devils" is really just a business, but Team USA has meaning outside of hockey.  In international sports, and in college too, the players have the same connection to the team that the fans do.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#50 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

I didn't and still don't like some of the selections that made the team and some of the ones that were wrongfully left off, BUT I still rooted all olympics and was proud to do so.  I don't think guys like Calahan, Stepan, Orpik, Pacioretty, etc should have been there, while Ryan, Okposo, Greene and a few other should have been there.  

Posted Image Posted Image

#51 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Though I was not rooting against Team USA, just not rooting for them, I definitely agree with this post and can get on board with that last point.

While I find it very funny that the OP used a joke column by a Canadian writer to help his point (not a joke in that it is crap, but the point of the column was meant in jest), and while I think his reasons for hating each player a little ridiculous, it's perfectly fine that he couldn't get into rooting for Team USA. Not sure why he deserves a lot of hate.

You spend all year, every year rooting against these players, and they get re-branded as Team USA for two weeks every 4 years and you HAVE to love them, now?

For some Team USA > NJ Devils and the NHL. For some it isn't. There doesn't have to be a right or a wrong.

It's not quite accurate to say the column was "written in jest." It was written in a light-hearted manner in the spirit of good old trash talk but that doesn't change the fact that the points he makes about some of the USA players (whom I can't really say that I hate, as much as 'just don't care for') are valid. Harrison Mooney has been repeating the same type of trash-talk this whole Olympics; some of it slightly funny, the rest of it somewhat obnoxious. I don't think anyone "bought the article wholesale" like Triumph posits, nor would that even negate the facts within it.

The rest of your post obviously I agree with. That's exactly it - Team USA hockey is not that big of a deal. Rooting for or against them is not akin to being a good citizen or benedict arnolding your country respectively. The part I bolded is a specifically eloquent way of putting it. I also DEFINITELY don't consider a USA win more important than the Devils winning. In a game of the Devils vs. Team USA, I would root for the Devils in a heartbeat.

Edited by Neb00rs, 22 February 2014 - 01:00 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#52 landofvanilla

landofvanilla

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

A couple of instances of international sports make it hard for me to take it seriously..

Russia trying to get Galchenyuk and USA soccer trying to get Rossi. Its like they don't care where their players allegiances lie... just want to stack their team up as much as possible.

#53 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

International sports mean more than the pros to me because there are no salaries and the players are playing for their country, an entity that has real meaning, rather than playing for whatever billionaire owner gave them the biggest contract to be a product in their business.  Players can't be traded or sign with another team, their country is always their country.  There is no entry draft in place to promote every team getting a chance to contend every few years, the countries just need to produce better players.

While I am a fan of the NHL, it just doesn't have the same meaning to me.  The Devils' players generally speaking really don't have much attachment to New Jersey.  They are just hired to play here.  "New Jersey Devils" is really just a business, but Team USA has meaning outside of hockey.  In international sports, and in college too, the players have the same connection to the team that the fans do.

I don't know really about any of this. Your opinion is fine, but for these players wearing the NHL sweater of the team that drafted them could be just as important as wearing a country's sweater. For the players it is about the love they get and the support. You kind of get overwhelmed if you win a gold because you have an entire country backing you, which has to be a surreal experience. Having said that, say you are Patrick Marleau. You have been a Shark for 15 years. You win a gold in Sochi and go right back to the US minutes after you win. You win a Stanley Cup for SJ, I would think that one has a bigger meaning. 

New Jersey is always going to be a bad example because there isn't a great connection between the state or a city and the team. It would be different for many other teams and players that might very well have that connection.

I don't hate anyone on team Canada, but I have no interest in rooting for these hired guns, as someone said earlier, for two weeks when I root against them all year around. I don't have the connection with any of them, and I really don't care if they win or lose.

You speak of attachment, but it is a two-way street. Even if they did have the attachment they wanted, they would just be let down because the average fan turns on a player much faster than a player turns on an organization. You say it is a job or a business, but fans are into the business of winning, and that's it.

Edited by devilsrule33, 22 February 2014 - 03:31 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#54 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

I personally don't feel a need to cheer on my country in the Olympics.   Why?  because they are sporting events.

In war, of course.   But I was personally pulling for the Czechs tbh,

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#55 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I don't know really about any of this. Your opinion is fine, but for these players wearing the NHL sweater of the team that drafted them could be just as important as wearing a country's sweater. For the players it is about the love they get and the support. You kind of get overwhelmed if you win a gold because you have an entire country backing you, which has to be a surreal experience. Having said that, say you are Patrick Marleau. You have been a Shark for 15 years. You win a gold in Sochi and go right back to the US minutes after you win. You win a Stanley Cup for SJ, I would think that one has a bigger meaning. 

New Jersey is always going to be a bad example because there isn't a great connection between the state or a city and the team. It would be different for many other teams and players that might very well have that connection.

I don't hate anyone on team Canada, but I have no interest in rooting for these hired guns, as someone said earlier, for two weeks when I root against them all year around. I don't have the connection with any of them, and I really don't care if they win or lose.

You speak of attachment, but it is a two-way street. Even if they did have the attachment they wanted, they would just be let down because the average fan turns on a player much faster than a player turns on an organization. You say it is a job or a business, but fans are into the business of winning, and that's it.

The Stanley Cup is more meaningful because it is the same legendary trophy that is competed for every year and you get your name on it as opposed to new medals being made every four years, it is the end goal of an entire year of games and practices with mostly the same teammates, and when a lot of these players were growing up, the Olympics wasn't a goal because the best in the world weren't eligible to play.

I root against Callahan and McDonagh all year because of the team they are on, I have nothing against them as hockey players so why should I not support them on Team USA?

I can understand being indifferent, but I would never root against USA.  The players on that team are the ones I have the most in common with.  They grew up in the same part of the world and generally with the same culture and lifestyle I have compared to the players from other countries.  I can't wrap my head around people born and raised in New Jersey who root for the Rangers, and it makes even less sense to me that someone would support another country over their own in international sports.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#56 landofvanilla

landofvanilla

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I think it has to do with separating in your mind between the team and who they represent. Being a fan for my entire life, I see these players as just players. When they're assembled as team for their countries, I still see the players.

The players have more in common with each other than with me. In the case of Canada and USA and to a lesser extent the Europeans, they practically live together, they raise their families in each others' countries. Our cultures are not that different. Hell, why do some people emigrate and call other places home, places not where they happen to be born? It's not that hard to fathom.

It would be different if there were never any NHL and all the players could only play in their home countries and then they meet every 4 years to duke it out. Gets back to that emotional investment bit someone else brought up.

Edited by landofvanilla, 22 February 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#57 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

I liked this team. If anything, I welcomed rooting for players like Callahan and JVR because while in the NHL I'm tempted not to like them because of their teams, they're actually very likable players and I'm glad they played for "my team" to some capacity. I'll admit I was at a crossroads with Parise though, while I've more or less forgiven him, i still felt myself rooting against him.

This team was poorly constructed in a few ways, omitting Ryan, Okposo, Bishop/Schneider etc. for who they were beaten by was a bad move, but to suggest it was done because of "politics" is silly. The only one you can kind of see is Orpik, as Bylsma is his coach, but even so, it doesn't mean it was done in a dirty way or anything. 

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#58 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

I stopped watching and caring about the Olympics once professionals started playing.  I believe the Olympics are for amateurs.  Professionals, regardless of sport, take away a dream from them, imo.  They cannot be over soon enough.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#59 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

I stopped watching and caring about the Olympics once professionals started playing. I believe the Olympics are for amateurs. Professionals, regardless of sport, take away a dream from them, imo. They cannot be over soon enough.

I just had a conversation about this at work and said the same thing, I stopped caring once pros were allowed to participate.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#60 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

I actually never understood the "pros shouldn't go" argument. The point of the Olympics to me, is to see sport at its highest levels on the World's stage, which you wouldn't get with amateurs. With your definition of "pros" almost every athlete in the games would be ineligible; from skiing to bobsledding, they are all paid pros whenever they are not participating in the Olympics (and even during those two weeks as far as sponsorships go). I have watched some great hockey at the Winter games - especially the past 3 or 4 tournaments and would be sad to see the players end there participation in the event.

However, the wide ice (as earlier posters mentioned), lack of parity (only 6 or 7 teams out of the whole IIHF really stand a chance...but that may change), and the unlikable U.S. program (which will stay that way as long as Brian Burke has anything to do with Team USA), all make the viewing experience less pleasurable and make me somewhat apathetic about South Korea 2018. IMO.

Edited by Neb00rs, 22 February 2014 - 10:39 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users