Photo

Why I Could Never Root for this Year's U.S. Olympic team.

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

I actually never understood the "parise shouldn't go" argument. 

fixed; now you do

Edited by lazer, 23 February 2014 - 12:53 AM.

Posted Image

#62 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

Couldn't read all this, but I always root for the Americans. not matter what NHL sweater they wear.

And I am rooting for the King With No Rings to beat those friggin' obnoxious Canucks.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#63 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Would take the post more seriously if it was written day one of the tourney......... ZZZzzz

#64 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I actually never understood the "pros shouldn't go" argument. The point of the Olympics to me, is to see sport at its highest levels on the World's stage, which you wouldn't get with amateurs. With your definition of "pros" almost every athlete in the games would be ineligible; from skiing to bobsledding, they are all paid pros whenever they are not participating in the Olympics (and even during those two weeks as far as sponsorships go). I have watched some great hockey at the Winter games - especially the past 3 or 4 tournaments and would be sad to see the players end there participation in the event.

There will never be another Miracle on Ice.  They were amateurs. 

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#65 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

The whole "pros shouldn't go" is nonsense. Those original Olympic rules barring professionals was created at a time when there really weren't professional leagues like we have today. I'm glad the Olympics are turning the tide on that silliness

#66 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

This is about supporting the team that represents the hockey system we all played in. Like it or not, whether you're patriotic or you aren't, these are the hockey representatives of the place you're from, and I also don't care who is playing and who isn't. Do I think it's bullsh!t Andy Greene's name didn't even come up? Absolutely, but that's just how it is.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#67 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Would take the post more seriously if it was written day one of the tourney......... ZZZzzz

This is the second time this nonsensical argument has been offered in this thread. I didn't say "I told you all the USA would lose!" or "The USA was not good enough to compete." In those instances you might have a point. But that's not the case. I posted that I don't like the players and managers of the team and so I couldn't root for them this year. It wouldn't matter if I posted it today. If anything, it was proper and respectful to wait until the team lost to make a post condemning them as opposed to being negative when the team is winning. You can "ZZZzzz" all you want but you have failed to contribute to the debate.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#68 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

still waiting for an answer as why people bashed Zach while he got 8 shots in the semi final but if a Devils player would have got 8 shots in a game he'd be some kind of god...

www.SterioDesign.com

#69 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

You root for the flag, the county , not the players!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#70 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

still waiting for an answer as why people bashed Zach while he got 8 shots in the semi final but if a Devils player would have got 8 shots in a game he'd be some kind of god...

Because his shot is extremely weak. He literally didn't do a thing all tournament. One goal that pavelic kicked in in a blow out. He has no vision, and what was once his top asset, his speed, looked incredible average. He can't raise his game when the stakes are higher (playoffs and Olympics) because he is a glorified grinder

#71 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Because his shot is extremely weak. He literally didn't do a thing all tournament. One goal that pavelic kicked in in a blow out. He has no vision, and what was once his top asset, his speed, looked incredible average. He can't raise his game when the stakes are higher (playoffs and Olympics) because he is a glorified grinder

yeah well i get that dont get me wrong, but why do people here look strictly at "shots" without looking any farther if they were quality shots or nothing. Strictly look at shots numbers to make points. Thats what i absolutely don't get or would like to point out. 

its either really cherry picking, hypocrite, double standard or wtv... but really you really can't do both lol and there's a reason i never got an answer cause people know it's right and their stuck in a corner so they rather stay silent

Edited by SterioDesign, 24 February 2014 - 09:53 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#72 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

And I hope the Olympics help get through some Devils fans head's who are still whining about losing Zach why in the long run it is better we let him walk, especially for that kind of money.

#73 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Which NHL star raises their game when the stakes get higher , let alone constantly? Parise is who he is. A very good NHL player. His game doesn't suit international hockey very much as others have pointed out.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#74 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

And I hope the Olympics help get through some Devils fans head's who are still whining about losing Zach why in the long run it is better we let him walk, especially for that kind of money.

Him not producing in the olympic (4 games) surely totally eclipse the reality that we havent made the playoffs, are struggling scoring, especially in SO and have Salvador as captain since he left.

www.SterioDesign.com

#75 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, the Olympics have nothing to do with Parise's performance in the NHL.  He is just a mediocre player on big ice - I'm not even sure he would be one of the best players in the KHL if he played there.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#76 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

This is the second time this nonsensical argument has been offered in this thread. I didn't say "I told you all the USA would lose!" or "The USA was not good enough to compete." In those instances you might have a point. But that's not the case. I posted that I don't like the players and managers of the team and so I couldn't root for them this year. It wouldn't matter if I posted it today. If anything, it was proper and respectful to wait until the team lost to make a post condemning them as opposed to being negative when the team is winning. You can "ZZZzzz" all you want but you have failed to contribute to the debate.

To be honest the best thing to do would have been to have posted your feelings on the team before the tournament had begun (When the roster was announced) or whilst they were winning. That way you would have completely negated anyone’s ability to argue that your motives actually stem from the defeat and under achievement, rather than your general dislike for the players on the team etc.etc.

You probably would have also caught less flak from the reactionary posters suffering from the defeat.

Personally I always cheer on the country and the flag, not the athlete. I despise Steven Gerrard and Liverpool, nothing will ever change that, but when he is playing for England I will get behind him. Same with Wayne Rooney.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#77 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Him not producing in the olympic (4 games) surely totally eclipse the reality that we havent made the playoffs, are struggling scoring, especially in SO and have Salvador as captain since he left.

So if we throw Parise in there we are automatically in the playoffs?  You know that's a stretch.

This teams have way too many issues for just the loss or addition of 1 player can fix

#78 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Which NHL star raises their game when the stakes get higher , let alone constantly? Parise is who he is. A very good NHL player. His game doesn't suit international hockey very much as others have pointed out.

What I mean by "raises their game" is over a season, players are bound to take nights off once in a while. Looking at Parise, his biggest strength is his intensity night in and night out, from October to June. When that intensity is negated by the magnitude of the game and intense play from everyone, he looks like Jay Pandolfo on steroids out there

#79 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

So if we throw Parise in there we are automatically in the playoffs?  You know that's a stretch.

This teams have way too many issues for just the loss or addition of 1 player can fix

well honestly spread 30 goals around the season + a few SO goals and that could make a HUGE difference since we're losing all our games by 1 goal. Plus he's making guys around him better.

It's ridiculous all the sudden knocks on him since he left. I know he wasnt God but i'd certainly rather have him now and overpaid but know that we're gonna have a few good season out of him and that it MAY turn sour in 5-6 years than not even knowing if we're gonna have production NEXT SEASON or over in the future.

Edited by SterioDesign, 24 February 2014 - 11:44 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#80 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

To be honest the best thing to do would have been to have posted your feelings on the team before the tournament had begun (When the roster was announced) or whilst they were winning. That way you would have completely negated anyone’s ability to argue that your motives actually stem from the defeat and under achievement, rather than your general dislike for the players on the team etc.etc.

You probably would have also caught less flak from the reactionary posters suffering from the defeat.

Personally I always cheer on the country and the flag, not the athlete. I despise Steven Gerrard and Liverpool, nothing will ever change that, but when he is playing for England I will get behind him. Same with Wayne Rooney.

First of all, I don't care about catching 'flak', especially from people who don't contribute to the debate (I am NOT referring to you). I just don't mind defending myself.

However, I believe you are confusing the roles of the posters being discussed and myself. The motive of my post is irrelevant. It is the other posters' motives that come into question. If the USA had won, I also probably wouldn't have caught so much 'flak'. It's the posters who bring up the validity of the thread who seem to just be angry that the USA lost. The only reason they have a platform to tell me that I'm a "joke" is BECAUSE the Americans lost. Conversely, if I had posted this at the beginning of the tournament and these same posters attacked the thread, then their gripes would be more credible. 

See, it shouldn't matter when I posted the thread, the fact is that A. it has been posted and B. the chronology of the posting relative to the progression of the tournament is external to the arguments posed. The debate is valid ipso facto the original post and posters subsequently entered a forum in which the realm of relevance provides the possible actions of agreeing with the post to any degree, disagreeing, or abstaining from contribution. 

Additionally, and perhaps more centrally, it makes no sense to assert that I should have posted the thread earlier if I want to be viewed as credible, as I made no prediction in my post (which if I did, would lend credence to the 'timing' debate).

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users