158 replies to this topic

#61 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

so absolutely nobody feel like pointing out that Callahan is 10 years younger than St-Louis?

Nobody points it out because it DOESN'T matter. Callahan is UFA at the end of the year. He might as well be 44. If he had a five year contract then maybe age would be a factor. St. Louis is still elite and will be next year too, the last year on his contract.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#62 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

so absolutely nobody feel like pointing out that Callahan is 10 years younger than St-Louis?

How do players like Callahan typically age? Not well

#63 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, I think Callahan is farther off his peak performance than St. Louis is off his.  Age truly is just a number sometimes.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#64 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Could very well be that negociations (as reported) were not going anywhere so rangers are looking at a swap that could get them a guy right away for the playoff and avoid losing callahan for nothing in the summer since they couldnt agree on a contract.

Also it doesnt mean that if nothing happen that the reporter is full of sh!t, looooooots of legit deals are simply not going throught or a side is pulling the plug last minute.

Well if we could have gotten MSL for Parise in 2012, I might have done it.  But as I've been saying, YOU DON'T TRADE YOUR BEST PLAYERS WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PLAYOFF RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This trade makes zero sense for Tampa, especially if the one for one trade rumors are true.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#65 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Teams sometimes dare to live in the present.  Does Callahan help the Lightning's chances THIS year?  Are the 2013-14 Lightning better with St. Louis in their lineup or with Callahan?   

Look at St. Louis' numbers...he leads his team in scoring and by a lot.  He's also a +15.  Yeah, these are not the only numbers to judge a player by, but it's pretty obvious that losing St. Louis (who, as has been pointed out here already, is on a fair deal and still signed through the end of next year) will hurt the Lightning, and Callahan alone would not be anywhere near enough to make up for losing St. Louis.  I think the Rangers would have to sweeten the pot considerably.  Callahan is also a rental and a pretty meh one at that, so unless Tampa is sure they can lock him up long-term, it doesn't really matter how old or young he is.     

The Lightning are in good playoff position right now...I don't see why they'd want to risk that by downgrading/disrupting their team so significantly, or go into the playoffs with a lesser team than what they have right now, unless St. Louis is SO pissed off that he's decided he absolutely can not play in Tampa any longer, no matter what.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#66 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Am I the only one who would want callahan? He is a devils type player if you ask me. He currently plays for the blueskirts so he's a bit disgusting right now to us, but I never really had a problem with him, he plays extremley hard always shows up...ect all the makings of a player you'd want on your team.  

Obviously we don't have anything they want for him, but if he becomes a FA next year I wouldn't mind signing him if we could. Could fill a bit of the role left wide open by parise when he fvcking screwed us over.

He's a slightly better and more clutch version of Steve Bernier. If Steve Bernier could get 15-20 goals on the season we'd love him, but I still wouldn't want to pay him $7m/7 years.

#67 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

He's a slightly better and more clutch version of Steve Bernier. If Steve Bernier could get 15-20 goals on the season we'd love him, but I still wouldn't want to pay him $7m/7 years.

Bernier is a 20 points player while Callahan is a 50 point player.

Edited by Mike Brown, 24 February 2014 - 01:21 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#68 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

The problem with always saying X player isn't worth the money imo is that, who are we waiting to sign? You don't get bonus points for having cap space available. I can see the duration being a problem down the line maybe, but you can always buy out the contracts. It seems to work for other teams.

#69 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,376 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

MSL is pissed at Yzerman. But there is little chance of Tampa trading their best player. Rags have to trade Callahan because of Sather's mismanagement. But I can't see Cally getting a big return. 3rd rounder at best. He's a UFA and increasingly a damaged good.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#70 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

The problem with always saying X player isn't worth the money imo is that, who are we waiting to sign? You don't get bonus points for having cap space available. I can see the duration being a problem down the line maybe, but you can always buy out the contracts. It seems to work for other teams.

this. Seems like some people here are like scared to death to have a bad contract and would rather pass on 6 good season from a guy cause they are scare to have 2 bad ones at the end.

Fact is, we have no one in our system that will replace the guys we lost. So we're gonna have to TRY to sign free agents, and then we'll have to overpay for something god knows if we'll get. And with the cap rising and the new CBA the salaries are rising too and impact players are even more expensive.

www.SterioDesign.com

#71 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Callahan's contract will not provide value in Year 1.  It will not provide value in Year 6.  Ryan Callahan belongs to the class of player who is always overpaid upon reaching UFA because he never takes a shift off.  His best years are probably behind him already, and he's likely to become more injury-prone as he ages.

The Devils can't afford a contract like this because they have too many other problems on the team and hustle isn't one of them.  Callahan's contract will be Clarksonesque - if he makes it to July 1, his contract will immediately be one of the 5 worst in hockey.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#72 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

this. Seems like some people here are like scared to death to have a bad contract and would rather pass on 6 good season from a guy cause they are scare to have 2 bad ones at the end.

Fact is, we have no one in our system that will replace the guys we lost. So we're gonna have to TRY to sign free agents, and then we'll have to overpay for something god knows if we'll get. And with the cap rising and the new CBA the salaries are rising too and impact players are even more expensive.

Ryan Callahan won't give you six good seasons.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#73 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Teams sometimes dare to live in the present.  Does Callahan help the Lightning's chances THIS year?  Are the 2013-14 Lightning better with St. Louis in their lineup or with Callahan?   

Look at St. Louis' numbers...he leads his team in scoring and by a lot.  He's also a +15.  Yeah, these are not the only numbers to judge a player by, but it's pretty obvious that losing St. Louis (who, as has been pointed out here already, is on a fair deal and still signed through the end of next year) will hurt the Lightning, and Callahan alone would not be anywhere near enough to make up for losing St. Louis.  I think the Rangers would have to sweeten the pot considerably.  Callahan is also a rental and a pretty meh one at that, so unless Tampa is sure they can lock him up long-term, it doesn't really matter how old or young he is.     

The Lightning are in good playoff position right now...I don't see why they'd want to risk that by downgrading/disrupting their team so significantly, or go into the playoffs with a lesser team than what they have right now, unless St. Louis is SO pissed off that he's decided he absolutely can not play in Tampa any longer, no matter what.   

how right you are.

#74 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Ryan Callahan won't give you six good seasons.

i was not talking about Callahan, never even said i'd like to sign him. Was talking in general. Every single player anyone bring up, people will bash the idea saying he'd be too expensive.

www.SterioDesign.com

#75 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Callahan's contract will not provide value in Year 1.  It will not provide value in Year 6.  Ryan Callahan belongs to the class of player who is always overpaid upon reaching UFA because he never takes a shift off.  

QFT.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#76 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Callahan's contract will not provide value in Year 1.  It will not provide value in Year 6.  Ryan Callahan belongs to the class of player who is always overpaid upon reaching UFA because he never takes a shift off.  His best years are probably behind him already, and he's likely to become more injury-prone as he ages.

The Devils can't afford a contract like this because they have too many other problems on the team and hustle isn't one of them.  Callahan's contract will be Clarksonesque - if he makes it to July 1, his contract will immediately be one of the 5 worst in hockey.

I think he will produce more than clarkson isfor the leafs, but it is clarksonesq in what he is asking. I just don't see how we can be in a position to worry about value period unless we were waiting to strike on someone big time, which everyone here knows the devils don't really do. How much the owners spend is of ZERO fvcking consequence to us fans, given that we aren't going to spend all our cap space money and we can later eat a contract, I don't see the issue in overpaying for someone. If we write a bunch of terrible contracts sure we will get burned somewhere down the line, but look at the rangers they somehow seem to manage throwing the kitchen sink at everyone and putting out a formidable team one that is primed to keep most of its talent, and both teams are allowed to spend the same amount each season.

I don't think anyone in Minnesota thinks they overpaid for Zach and its a bad contract. We need players here, a large portion of our point production is from guys that are old. I don't know the specifics of contract buyouts, but I don't mind Calahan being overpaid given that we have absolutley no one else.

Now are there better options like Stansy who was mentioned earlier, yea, but I still like RC. He seems like a player Lou would sign over a guy like Stansy on a playstyle basis. I mean he made team USA, can you say the same for anyone else on our team? Andy greene injustice aside, he (RC) would obviously make us better, and right now we could use some better.

Edited by Sneax, 24 February 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#77 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

I think he will produce more than clarkson isfor the leafs, but it is clarksonesq in what he is asking. I just don't see how we can be in a position to worry about value period unless we were waiting to strike on someone big time, which everyone here knows the devils don't really do. How much the owners spend is of ZERO fvcking consequence to us fans, given that we aren't going to spend all our cap space money and we can later eat a contract, I don't see the issue in overpaying for someone. If we write a bunch of terrible contracts sure we will get burned somewhere down the line, but look at the rangers they somehow seem to manage throwing the kitchen sink at everyone and putting out a formidable team one that is primed to keep most of its talent, and both teams are allowed to spend the same amount each season.

I don't think anyone in Minnesota thinks they overpaid for Zach and its a bad contract. We need players here, a large portion of our point production is from guys that are old. I don't know the specifics of contract buyouts, but I don't mind Calahan being overpaid given that we have absolutley no one else.

Now are there better options like Stansy who was mentioned earlier, yea, but I still like RC. He seems like a player Lou would sign over a guy like Stansy on a playstyle basis. I mean he made team USA, can you say the same for anyone else on our team? Andy greene injustice aside, he (RC) would obviously make us better, and right now we could use some better.

You can't just say, well we're not going to be a cap team, so might as well overpay this guy or that guy.  I mean, it makes a certain amount of sense up to a point and under certain circumstances, but not with Callahan.  Or as they say about government spending, a billion here and a billion there, and eventually you're talking about real money.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#78 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I think he will produce more than clarkson isfor the leafs, but it is clarksonesq in what he is asking. I just don't see how we can be in a position to worry about value period unless we were waiting to strike on someone big time, which everyone here knows the devils don't really do. How much the owners spend is of ZERO fvcking consequence to us fans, given that we aren't going to spend all our cap space money and we can later eat a contract, I don't see the issue in overpaying for someone. If we write a bunch of terrible contracts sure we will get burned somewhere down the line, but look at the rangers they somehow seem to manage throwing the kitchen sink at everyone and putting out a formidable team one that is primed to keep most of its talent, and both teams are allowed to spend the same amount each season.

Now are there better options like Stansy who was mentioned earlier, yea, but I still like RC. He seems like a player Lou would sign over a guy like Stansy on a playstyle basis. I mean he made team USA, can you say the same for anyone else on our team? Andy greene injustice aside, he (RC) would obviously make us better, and right now we could use some better.

I understand what you're saying but just because we'll have money to spend doesn't mean we should spend it on anything. Signing Callahan to a 7 year deal can hurt you down the line. Look at people's opinions of guys like Salvador and volchenkov, who's play has dipped with age.

It would be the equivalent of a child getting $50 from his parents and going out to spend it on the first toy he sees. Next thing you know 2 weeks later all the other kids at school have a newer toy and the kid is stuck with a lame ass old piece of junk under his bed that he doesn't play with anymore.

#79 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

The problem with Sal/Volch is not that they have crazy contracts it's that we use them when we have better options on the roster. No one is complaining about either of their contracts, because there is zero reason to complain. Them being signed isn't the reason we don't have someone else signed that is better.

and @daniel

THe only time our spending matters as a team is when overpaying for X player results in us lossing the ability to resign player Y. This is not the case, there is alot of flexibility in the NHL on a longer term basis, you can do things to work your cap like trade it take half the hit or buy it out...ect. We are not in danger of being in cap trouble or missing out on signing players, and even if we did we could work something out. There is no real money when it comes to free agency, your only restriction is cap space not nominal amounts spent over the years. To many fans get caught up in how much someone is being paid.

Case in point, people went crazy when the vikings (i use alot of viking references) paid josh freeman 3 million to play the remainder of the year (or not play). And people were OUTRAGED that he got that kind of money to do nothing, but in reality it had no bearing on the team. As fans we shouldn't care about the owners bank account, only about how the spending impacts the teams ability to retain players.

Given that you can work around these contracts now, the bill doesn't really ever come due if you manage it well. If bills came due in today's NHL explain to me how the rangers manage to work, the only thing other than RC they have had to give up from their core is MDZ who was playing like sh!t anyway. They get to keep girardi lunqvist richards nash and will probably resign Mcdonaugh. I don't think outside of CS we have anyone worworthy of a huge contract, so clearly we have some room. The kids are still young and there will be time to free up money for them when they need to be signed.

Edited by Sneax, 24 February 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#80 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

The problem with Sal/Volch is not that they have crazy contracts it's that we use them when we have better options on the roster. No one is complaining about either of their contracts, because there is zero reason to complain. Them being signed isn't the reason we don't have someone else signed that is better.

a large part of the reason why they are playing is because they are veterans and they have those contracts. In 3-4 years when Callahan is putting up 30 points and/or missing 40 games a season everyone would feel the same way about him. If you could get him for 4 yrs 20 mil then yea it's not bad but 7 and 46mil is just crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users