158 replies to this topic

#141 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,901 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

You could have made an argument for trading Clarkson last year but the Devils were still in a playoff position at the deadline.

Can the Rangers actually trade Callahan first before we start comparing it to Zach? The Kings were going to trade Dustin Brown two years ago too but that never happened. I'm still skeptical they trade him, but if they do it could well be in a package for an established scoring forward as opposed to just auctioning him off for futures.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 February 2014 - 11:06 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#142 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

You could have made an argument for trading Clarkson last year but the Devils were still in a playoff position at the deadline.

Can the Rangers actually trade Callahan first before we start comparing it to Zach? The Kings were going to trade Dustin Brown two years ago too but that never happened. I'm still skeptical they trade him, but if they do it could well be in a package for an established scoring forward as opposed to just auctioning him off for futures.

If the Rangers do get a substantial return, it would also be because the team that was trading for him would probably already have an extension in place.  And for the last friggin' time, that could not have happened with Parise because of the old CBA, which gave no incentive for a pending UFA not to test the market other than perhaps giving a hometown discount.  If the new CBA were in place two years ago, Zach would either still be on the Devils or he would have been traded.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#143 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

lol its not the SD way, its the every single GMs in the league except Lou way.

and again you're twisting what you want to believe to make Lou look good on that one as most of you does. Clarkson could have got a pretty good return at that time, absolutely. Not saying he's worth his contract but a player like that for the playoffs and at that time most teams still thought he was really a 30 goals scorer who could do it all. And based on the offers he got on free agency. Pretty damn sure we could have got anything better than NOTHING, and yeah. He was incredibly useful in the playoffs last year right?

and again, what you simply refuse to understand from what ive been saying for years. It's not about specifically what "happened" in those cases, cause every single cases are different and there's lots of shades and stuff we dont know. What i've been pointing out is that its absolutely dumb to refuse to give you that extra tool through negotiations to talk during the season. It's a really cocky, stubborn, "go big or go home" and black and white way to go and it can be pretty bad when he doesnt go your way and the benefits are not great or different either.

I dont CARE that his track record is good. I could decide that im not looking both ways before crossing the streets anymore and dont get hit for the first 3 years. Doesnt mean it's a smart thing to do.

Already explained why, in this case, I don't think Lou talking contract in-season would've made all that much difference, and you have no idea what Clarkson would've fetched in a return...not only that, Lou thought his team was a playoff team at the time, so why would HE want to give up a "30-goal scorer who would do it all"?   

This is not a question of trying to make Lou look good.  Like I said, he took a chance and I explained exactly what taking that chance entailed.  No, it ultimately did not work out.  If you want to rip Lou for that, so be it.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

of course but again for the last time, at least by sitting with the guy and talking contract it gives you the chances to take a step back and make a decision and decide what's the best thing to do for the present AND the future, then you decide if you're willing to gamble. Cause you know the players demand, your chance of keeping him and you know you're playoffs chances. It gives you options to actually make a decision without being fvcked by a ridiculous demand or anything else that could go wrong and if you choose to part ways strictly based on demands well you can get a better return. 

im beyond disbelief that people can't "agree" about this common sense to at least TALK (not sign / trade) during the season, it absolutely wouldnt hurt to at least try. But of course people dont accept it simply cause its lou's way so they dont want to go against it.

Edited by SterioDesign, 26 February 2014 - 11:32 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#145 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Well now I know you are officially completely unequivocally insanely out of your mind. 4th line players don't get second line minutes because they can't produce as second line players. There's a reason Bernier nearly washed out of the league and was basically AHL fodder for a couple years and really hasn't been any good at all in his time in the NHL aside from a role as a checker with some physical edge.

And by the way, when Bernier was drafted, it was because he "HAD" the ability back then. But a lot of things change and sometimes things aren't actually what they were once thought to be. Hugh Jessiman was a first round pick and was picked before Parise. I guess he still has the "ability", no?

Bernier has been terrible this year by the way. Just want to remind everyone on that.

I think we're gonna get something out of him at some point. He's still young, could be a better Clarkson. He wasn't putting up bad numbers at all last year. If someone has shown that ability, especially at the NHL level, there's no reason to think the potential isn't there.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#146 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

listen. I did not make any comparison at all.

This is a case of a guy saying "You'll never see a pig fly you're an idiot for thinking it would ever happen" and then one day you see a pig fly and you take a picture and send it to that guy with a "Ha!"

That's all it was.

lol what you were the one who brought up jagr's name in a thread about Callahan. How is that not a comparison? If you didn't mean to that's fine but don't be surprised or offended when I take it that way and try to have a conversation about it. Sheesh.

#147 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

I bet he doesn't get traded.

I think this is just Sather attempting to force the Callahan camp into a deal.  A negotiation tactic.  That's my feeling.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#148 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,901 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

If the Rangers do get a substantial return, it would also be because the team that was trading for him would probably already have an extension in place. And for the last friggin' time, that could not have happened with Parise because of the old CBA, which gave no incentive for a pending UFA not to test the market other than perhaps giving a hometown discount. If the new CBA were in place two years ago, Zach would either still be on the Devils or he would have been traded.

Zach probably does stay under the new CBA but if anything the new CBA makes it far less of a gamble to sit on your player through July 1 than it was before 2013. Since the extra year and fewer cap shenanigans equalizes the field.

Plus people like SD don't want to acknowledge how big ownership's role is in what happened. Probably Lou hoped he would have more money the next summer to retain Zach if VBK could get his **** together by then. If he didn't think there was a better than 50/50 chance he stayed he wouldn't have made him captain IMO.

I think this is just Sather attempting to force the Callahan camp into a deal. A negotiation tactic. That's my feeling.

I still think that too...usually if you're gonna trade a guy it isn't this public with leaks saying things like 'he's getting traded unless someone gets cold feet or someone lowers their asking price'.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,086 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think this is just Sather attempting to force the Callahan camp into a deal.  A negotiation tactic.  That's my feeling.

That's why I think it's not '99% that he gets traded'.  But if I'm Callahan, I have to look at what Brad Richards is making and ask myself am I willing to take less again to stay here?  Why don't I get paid commensurate with what the market values me while this guy gets a huge windfall?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#150 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Lou and Clarkson's mid season talk, 2013...

Lou: "Hey Dave, are you gonna want lots and lots of money in July?"

Clarkson: "YUP!"

This checks out. I definitely see how this could have changed things.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#151 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

lol what you were the one who brought up jagr's name in a thread about Callahan. How is that not a comparison? If you didn't mean to that's fine but don't be surprised or offended when I take it that way and try to have a conversation about it. Sheesh.

I brought it up cause thats what the discussion i was referring to was about, it was not my discussion. Some people arguing with Brown wtv about it.

www.SterioDesign.com

#152 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

sather spoke with Callahan and realized that he is almost certainly too pricey for the rangers next season. If Callahan gets traded, it's because he 100% won't be re-signing. When Lou kept zach, that offseason he made him a competitive offer that might very well have kept him here if not for suter. I don't see the comparison here at all.

Lou had zero chance to re-sign Parise. The NHL was floating this team and was not gonna allow them to sign him for market value, especually upfront cash. It amazes me how few realize how bad this team was financially. Factor in his Dad, wife, Suter, franchise instability, and so on...how could Lou possibly convince him to stay?

I wonder if Ryan being over in Sochi abd talking to guys like Dustin Brown who is getting the term and money Ryan wants is a factor in his demands.

Edited by hystyk28, 26 February 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#153 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Lou had zero chance to re-sign Parise. The NHL was floating this team and was not gonna allow them to sign him for market value, especually upfront cash. It amazes me how few realize how bad this team was financially. Factor in his Dad, wife, Suter, franchise instability, and so on...how could Lou possibly convince him to stay?

I wonder if Ryan being over in Sochi abd talking to guys like Dustin Brown who is getting the term and money Ryan wants is a factor in his demands.

I doubt it. One, I'm sure the Olympics were all those guys were focusing on over there, and two, wasn't Callahan wanting around 7 per before Sochi anyway?

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#154 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

everything you just said other than financials is with 20/20 hindsight. At the time it was clear that yes we did have a shot. The offer we gave him by all accounts was competitive, but the money being equal he chose home and suter.

On my phone so it's tough to link but on TG's blog zach said himself the money wasn't what decided it. During the season not one person ever mentioned the suter factor, that only became evident after the cup final. Anyway this is about Callahan and like I said his situation IMO is very different so I'll digress...

#155 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,086 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

everything you just said other than financials is with 20/20 hindsight. At the time it was clear that yes we did have a shot. The offer we gave him by all accounts was competitive, but the money being equal he chose home and suter.

On my phone so it's tough to link but on TG's blog zach said himself the money wasn't what decided it. During the season not one person ever mentioned the suter factor, that only became evident after the cup final. Anyway this is about Callahan and like I said his situation IMO is very different so I'll digress...

have you ever heard an athlete say 'yeah, it was the money?'  Parise made $23.1 million in the first 2 years in Minnesota - there is no way NJ could've offered him something like that.  I bet he would've made something like $12 million, because NJ was not going to ensure anyone's contract against the lockout, and they couldn't front-load a contract either.

Edited by Triumph, 27 February 2014 - 10:38 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#156 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

have you ever heard an athlete say 'yeah, it was the money?' Parise made $23.1 million in the first 2 years in Minnesota - there is no way NJ could've offered him something like that. I bet he would've made something like $12 million, because NJ was not going to ensure anyone's contract against the lockout, and they couldn't front-load a contract either.

this discussion is not about anything that happened after the trade deadline, it's about what happened in season during 2012 and whether or not Lou thought he could be re-signed. I have yet to hear a piece of convincing evidence that says Lou knew for sure that parise was going to walk, which differs from sather who knows right now he's not going to meet callahan's demands.

No I don't think we offered him near that amount, I believe he report was closer to 70 million... But I could just as easily use the money to argue that we definitely were in on resigning him by saying it took 13/98 (and an additional 13/98 for suter)- a ridiculous overpayment- for him to leave.

#157 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

It happened.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#158 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1711389

St. Louis and cond. 2015 2nd to NYR

Callahan, 2014 1st, and 2015 2nd to TBL

Edited by David Puddy, 05 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Posted Image

#159 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

It happened.

Maaaan, Boomer was WAY off haha... Considering the 1st and 2nd he wasn't privy to.

Edited by DJ Eco, 05 March 2014 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users