61 replies to this topic

#41 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

You guys are foolish, clearly peter harrold is better than all 3 of them. Combined even.

#42 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Basically, every time Marty answers a trade question and doesn't say "No, I'm not going to get traded", one of these articles will be written.

i.e "Hey Marty, what does your future as a Devil look like?"

"Well, it's not entirely up to me..."

TRADE TALKS HEATING UP

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#43 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

hes not going to end up going anywhere .. no ones going to take him..cant wait for this to be put to rest
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#44 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

For all we know, Lou has already sat Larrson down to explain the situation, and has been trying to move a defenseman for the past three months.
It's easy to blame Lou for the results (or lack thereof), but we have literally no clue what's going on behind the scenes.

I'm blaming LL for over paying for guys like Vol and now they occupy a roster spot that we need for Larsson, and that contract is not tradeable!

That's LL fault, no one else.
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm blaming LL for over paying for guys like Vol and now they occupy a roster spot that we need for Larsson, and that contract is not tradeable!

Devils needed a guy like Volchenkov at the time, and he was only 28 years old when he was signed...overpaying in both dollars and term is how it usually goes with UFAs, unfortunately.  

A lot of people liked the signing at the time.  Lou probably didn't want to go six years, but again, that's how it tends to go with UFAs.  

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#46 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Has Volch's contract really been that bad though?  I mean, he's contributed to the logjam at D, but I don't think he's been horribly bad so far.  For a 6 year deal, the Devils have gotten pretty goood value so far imo.

These last two might get ugly though.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 27 February 2014 - 02:35 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#47 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

The Volchenkov signing wasn't that bad. As already stated, he was 28 and had been a solid shut down d-man and shotblocker. If you want to sign a free agent, you have to understand that there may be extra years on it to convince them to sign.

Additionally, Larsson wasn't even a thought in the summer of 2010, so those 2 things aren't even connected.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#48 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Salvador needed to walk after the cup run really. We we're not sure what we had in our kids yet at that point and when they could jump in the NHL but we could have certainly try them or get someone cheaper than Salvador for a few more years. 

Having Larsson rotting in the AHL is absolutely disgusting. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Salvador needed to walk after the cup run really. We we're not sure what we had in our kids yet at that point and when they could jump in the NHL but we could have certainly try them or get someone cheaper than Salvador for a few more years. 

I think he was kept mostly because he is considered a leader in the locker room and of the defense. When Langenbrunner was traded and there were interviews of players over who should be the next captain, and the most common answers were Parise, Salvador, and Kovalchuk. He was the defacto leader of the "no-name defense."

Also, at the time he was coming off a solid season even if you don't look at the playoffs. He played all 82 games for the Devils in 2011-12 and was pretty solid all year. Then that summer, Parise is on the verge of leaving, and I don't think the Devils wanted to risk losing 2 important pieces like that in the same week. The 3rd year on the contract sucks, but it's part of free agent negotiation sometimes. The 3.1 hit isn't far off considering what his year before the signing was like.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Volchenkov's contract and play are not the problem at all.

There is no question in ANYONE's mind that Salvador is far and away the worst defender on this team. But that C makes him invincible.

Admittedly, I am biased but Volchenkov brings a dimension that nobody else on the defense (including the 3 kids) - namely a defensive presence that hits, is positionally sound, is very good on the PK and along the walls.

I am a huge fan of larsson and hate that he's in the minors, but is he truly better than what they're getting out of fayne right now? probably not. so that's fine that he's not here. i can appreciate the need to get gelinas in the lineup. I think merrill has been very good. zidlicky we know what we're getting but he fills a need. and greene is the best defender on the team.

salvador is an abortion of a hockey player right now no matter whether you used "advanced stats" or "eyes."

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#51 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Exactly!!

And LLs job is to negotiate contracts that are not bad the last 2 or 3 years, to say thats what you get w/ UFAs is bull

Brunner contract is not like that ( although alot of LLs contracts are - Rolston, Vol, salvador, )
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#52 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Exactly!!

And LLs job is to negotiate contracts that are not bad the last 2 or 3 years, to say thats what you get w/ UFAs is bull

Brunner contract is not like that ( although alot of LLs contracts are - Rolston, Vol, salvador, )

You're operating in 20/20 hindsight. The Rolston signing was great when it happened. Half the league was talking to him and he was coming of 3 straight 30 goal seasons. He fell off a cliff when he came here. Volch was a highly sought after defenseman that was rumored to be going to Washington. And the Salvador contract was a year too long, but he was coming off a great 82 game season. You act like the Devils are the only team with contracts that don't work out.

And of course Brunner's contract isn't like that. He was signed in September because no one wanted to touch him.

#53 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Exactly!!

Brunner had almost no negotiating power - the Devils were the only team that wanted him offering that second year IIRC.

Volch, at the time, was a valuable commodity.  You won't see big-ticket UFAs sign reasonable contracts - it just doesn't happen.

Edit:  Devil Dan beat me to it.  Damn you you're fast.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 27 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

The Salvador contract was a bad signing from the start because of the logjam on defense it created the last two years.  I never thought he would be back after the Finals, it's almost as if we panicked and brought him back for leadership once Zach was going out the door.

Even at the time, we had Greene-Fayne (a top '12 pairing), Zidlicky-Volch-Larsson-Tallinder and Harrold was also re-signed ostensibly to be the #7. 

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Brunner had almost no negotiating power - the Devils were the only team that wanted him offering that second year IIRC.

Volch, at the time, was a valuable commodity.  You won't see big-ticket UFAs sign reasonable contracts - it just doesn't happen.

Edit:  Devil Dan beat me to it.  Damn you you're fast.

Well, there's something my coaches never said to me in my sports playing days hahaha

#56 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

The Salvador contract was a bad signing from the start because of the logjam on defense it created the last two years.  I never thought he would be back after the Finals, it's almost as if we panicked and brought him back for leadership once Zach was going out the door.

Even at the time, we had Greene-Fayne (a top '12 pairing), Zidlicky-Volch-Larsson-Tallinder and Harrold was also re-signed ostensibly to be the #7. 

I think that's exactly why he was signed. I think Lou realized his chances of getting Zach were dwindling and he made a move he probably didn't want to. I remember reading that Sal was in talks with the Islanders and a little while later we see that the Devils re-signed him.

#57 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

The Salvador contract was a bad signing from the start because of the logjam on defense it created the last two years. I never thought he would be back after the Finals, it's almost as if we panicked and brought him back for leadership once Zach was going out the door.

I don't disagree but IMO Lou never expected that he would have to find room for gelinas and Merrill this year, he especially wasn't expecting that in 2012 when gelinas was only a year into the ahl and Merrill was getting into trouble at michigan. Nobody knew in the summer of 2012 that there would be this big of a defensive logjam today.

#58 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

dmann422, on 27 Feb 2014 - 4:33 PM, said:dmann422, on 27 Feb 2014 - 4:33 PM, said:dmann422, on 27 Feb 2014 - 4:33 PM, said:

I don't disagree but IMO Lou never expected that he would have to find room for gelinas and Merrill this year, he especially wasn't expecting that in 2012 when gelinas was only a year into the ahl and Merrill was getting into trouble at michigan. Nobody knew in the summer of 2012 that there would be this big of a defensive logjam today.

But he had Tallinder then, who still had two years left on his deal and wasn't at that point in the doghouse.  Greene with (then) three years left on his deal, Fayne on a team-friendly two-year deal, Larsson on his ELC, Volch was still signed for forever.  Only Zidlicky (who we needed) and Harrold, the #7 were on one-year deals.  Bringing back Sal gave us a logjam even WITHOUT accounting for Gelinas/Merrill down the road.  It was a problem last year when Tallinder/Fayne/Larsson were being scratched on a regular basis and that was before Gelinas/Merrill were around.  We already had six defensemen on NHL contracts plus Larsson before bringing back Sal. 

Yes we got rid of Tallinder in the offseason, but nobody else and now that Gelinas/Merrill are ready we're having to scratch Volch/Harrold for the tonight, or send Gelinas back to the minors and keep Larsson in the minors after he'd pretty much earned a spot earlier in the season with his play beside Gelinas.  All of our issues with the logjam the last 'two' years stemmed from bringing Sal back and not doing anything else to clear a spot.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 27 February 2014 - 05:13 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#59 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Good points. I would also like to point out that a lot if people are assuming we have a very good NHL D core with the young guys coming up. I feel that the team is even more mediocre on D than they are at forward. While there may be a logjam at D, I see a bunch of 4-5-6 defensemen.

The resulrs of the next 4 gmaes before the deadline may very well begin to shape the Devils next few years.

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,728 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

But he had Tallinder then, who still had two years left on his deal and wasn't at that point in the doghouse.  Greene with (then) three years left on his deal, Fayne on a team-friendly two-year deal, Larsson on his ELC, Volch was still signed for forever.  Only Zidlicky (who we needed) and Harrold, the #7 were on one-year deals.  Bringing back Sal gave us a logjam even WITHOUT accounting for Gelinas/Merrill down the road.  It was a problem last year when Tallinder/Fayne/Larsson were being scratched on a regular basis and that was before Gelinas/Merrill were around.  We already had six defensemen on NHL contracts plus Larsson before bringing back Sal. 

Yes we got rid of Tallinder in the offseason, but nobody else and now that Gelinas/Merrill are ready we're having to scratch Volch/Harrold for the tonight, or send Gelinas back to the minors and keep Larsson in the minors after he'd pretty much earned a spot earlier in the season with his play beside Gelinas.  All of our issues with the logjam the last 'two' years stemmed from bringing Sal back and not doing anything else to clear a spot.

NJ was fine going with 8 last year because they didn't have anyone under that who they were in love with in the minors and it was going to be a shortened season.  I think that was the idea from the outset - rotate Fayne/Harrold/Larsson as healthy scratches and wait until guys get injured.  They didn't, which is a stroke of good and bad fortune.  NJ certainly had plenty of injuries early this year and were almost down to their 10th defenseman.  DeBoer said today they weren't sure that the young guys would be prepared for this year, but clearly they are.

Good points. I would also like to point out that a lot if people are assuming we have a very good NHL D core with the young guys coming up. I feel that the team is even more mediocre on D than they are at forward. While there may be a logjam at D, I see a bunch of 4-5-6 defensemen.

The resulrs of the next 4 gmaes before the deadline may very well begin to shape the Devils next few years.

You're nuts.  If you see Jon Merrill as a 4-5-6 D in the future, I'm not sure what you're watching.  He's already good and is only going to get better - he's a keeper.  I don't see anyone who's going to control games necessarily (Gelinas could develop into a Byfuglien-type), but the D are going to be pretty solid.

Edited by Triumph, 27 February 2014 - 05:45 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users