1333 replies to this topic

#301 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

god all those reports saying Marty waived his NTC makes me feel really weird... 

www.SterioDesign.com

#302 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

seems like him going to Minny will be happening. So what do we want from them really lets say its happening?

id like to get a prospect or something like Zucker or wtv but i cant see that happening... he wont fetch anymore more than a pick id guess and not a first or a 2nd either

If it's a 4th you'd have to be happy with it. It's more than he's worth (future considerations or so) but you never know...name cache and all that.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#303 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

can't any whole-career Devil just retire with the Devils anymore and not retire with another team? Why can't we have more players like Daneyko who are career Devils? Are we going to be having the same talks about Elias now in a couple years when his contract is up? I dunno it was one thing with Neids going to Anaheim because he wanted the chance to play with his brother, but it's another with this whole Marty BS. I know he wants to play more but honestly I can't see anyone making him a starter and it kind of tarnishes his legacy a little bit if he doesn't end his career here after all he's done for the org.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#304 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

TG said that Kevin Weekes didn't twitter anything about Marty waiving his NTC

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#305 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

can't any whole-career Devil just retire with the Devils anymore and not retire with another team? Why can't we have more players like Daneyko who are career Devils? Are we going to be having the same talks about Elias now in a couple years when his contract is up? I dunno it was one thing with Neids going to Anaheim because he wanted the chance to play with his brother, but it's another with this whole Marty BS. I know he wants to play more but honestly I can't see anyone making him a starter and it kind of tarnishes his legacy a little bit if he doesn't end his career here after all he's done for the org.

It's happening all over the league - Alfredsson, St. Louis, even Iginla though that was a mutual decision.  We're not exclusive to having our stars leave at the end of their career although it's getting annoying in general seeing ALL these guys go away at the tail end of their career.

TG said that Kevin Weekes didn't twitter anything about Marty waiving his NTC

He said it on TV apparently.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#306 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

This idea of players going to another team in the twilight of their careers is nothing new and happens in all sports.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 02 March 2014 - 10:40 AM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#307 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

It does feel weird.  I'm still not entirely ruling out Marty realizing he's not what he was and sticking around and retiring at the end of the season as a Devil (the scenario I think most Devils fans would prefer to see), but that seems more and more like a longshot every minute.  Seems like he wants to set himself up for playing next season.

In bold:  this is so unfair.  He gave you all of his very best, and often gave the Devils discounts to do it (at the very least, he made each re-signing process relatively painless, once he canned his agent).  Think any other goalie will be winning 683 games with one franchise anytime soon?  Anytime ever?  Again, look at the other goalies in his ballpark, in terms of games played and wins...all of them except Marty played for more than one team, and in their primes for that matter.  Marty has more than earned the right to play somewhere else and if he and some other team think he can help them, can't he explore that without it "tarnishing his legacy"?   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#308 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

This idea of players going to another team in the twilight of their careers is nothing new and happens in all sports.

Exactly. And it has happened throughout time. It's not a new thing. Fact of the matter is that an athlete's shelf life is short, and if they want to play and there is a team willing to employ them, then why shouldn't they move on. Marty owes nothing to the Devils, and vice versa. If he wants to play another year to get to 700 wins, or because he still has to pay off Melanie, or he just isn't ready to hang up his skates, then who are we to say he should retire. It won't tarnish his legacy, or diminish what he has done for or meant to this franchise in any way.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 02 March 2014 - 10:57 AM.

Posted Image

#309 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

It doesn't tarnish his legacy at all to me if he goes elsewhere. I just don't want to see it and I especially don't want to see him end up in Minnesota.

#310 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

How about some kind of package for Niederreiter? What would it cost? Or do you think he's untouchable for the Wild since they just picked him up over the summer?

Obviously it'd take much much more than Marty. Probably either a veteran or an established young D.

#311 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

I think of it this way. He doesn't want to retire and intends to play next year. Are you comfortable giving him a new contract and bringing him back next year? Even in a limited back up role? Just for nostalgic reasons I can see it, but it's just not practicable.

I would love Marty to retire a Devil. If he said this year was it and he wanted to retire at the end of the season, I would say fine, keep him around. But if he is just going to play elsewhere next year anyway, you might as well get something in return.

#312 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

How about some kind of package for Niederreiter? What would it cost? Or do you think he's untouchable for the Wild since they just picked him up over the summer?

Obviously it'd take much much more than Marty. Probably either a veteran or an established young D.

The Wild are like the Devils in that they need all the help they can get scoring goals, so they won't be trading away someone like that, unless it's for another forward, which the Devils don't have. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#313 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

It doesn't tarnish his legacy at all to me if he goes elsewhere. I just don't want to see it and I especially don't want to see him end up in Minnesota.

But you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Flyers and you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Rangers...but ESPECIALLY NOT the Penguins either or Isles.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#314 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

But you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Flyers and you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Rangers...but ESPECIALLY NOT the Penguins either or Isles.

What's your point? He's not going to end up on any of those teams anyway.

#315 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

i'd just not trade him rather than having to wonder if that late pick will ever be worth it or if whoever would be our backup would do the job, i still think marty is a solid backup at least 

www.SterioDesign.com

#316 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I think Marty really wants to hit 700. He's not going to do that with the Devils. He has a really good chance of getting a few more wins this season and the rest next season with another team. I think that's his number one goal.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#317 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,957 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

What's your point? He's not going to end up on any of those teams anyway.

My point is it reminds me of people said anywhere but Minny for Parise (which to me made little sense). Why would Minny be a problem? I am sure you wouldn't be happy with any situation, but one where he gets to see his kids all the time is the especially?

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#318 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

My point is it reminds me of people said anywhere but Minny for Parise (which to me made little sense). Why would Minny be a problem? I am sure you wouldn't be happy with any situation, but one where he gets to see his kids all the time is the especially?

Did you ever stop and think that some fans don't want him helping/playing with Parise, who isn't exactly held in high universal regard? Perhaps they don't want to have to see Brodeur play in Minnesota's uniform later this month and/or pull out a win and hurt the Devils playoff chances (if they aren't slim by then). 

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#319 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hell I wish he'd go to the Hawks. Good chance of making some noise in the playoffs, he probably gets some easy wins (if they make Crawford look that good Marty can certainly hold his own)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#320 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Did you ever stop and think that some fans don't want him helping/playing with Parise, who isn't exactly held in high universal regard? Perhaps they don't want to have to see Brodeur play in Minnesota's uniform later this month and/or pull out a win and hurt the Devils playoff chances (if they aren't slim by then). 

That's dumb.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users