1333 replies to this topic

#461 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Oh man if tomorrow is his last game, that place is gonna be packed tomorrow night.

It will likely be packed in anticipation of it being his last game...

Nobody will know if it was or not until after the fact; whether it is later tomorrow night, or sometime on Wednesday

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#462 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Why?  It will be either some time after the game tomorrow night, or Wednesday if it is going to happen

If they agree to a deal he won't be in the game. They aren't going to risk an injury or anything just to get him a last game.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#463 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Oh man if tomorrow is his last game, that place is gonna be packed tomorrow night.

Not really...the game against Detroit wasn't a big seller before this (strange to say considering it is Detroit, but just look at secondary market prices).  One day's notice ain't gonna sell out the joint for a weekday game.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#464 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Not really...the game against Detroit wasn't a big seller before this (strange to say considering it is Detroit, but just look at secondary market prices).  One day's notice ain't gonna sell out the joint for a weekday game.

You wanna bet?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#465 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

It's looking like a decent crowd, but probably not as good as the Sharks game that barely cracked 16k: http://www.ticketmas...2004B261FCC3634

Close to 600 tix on StubHub, with the cheapest ticket around $25.. Yup looking like 15.7k - 16.1k

Edited by Colin226, 03 March 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#466 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

They won't announce it ahead of time. If it will be packed, it will be because of speculation

#467 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Not really...the game against Detroit wasn't a big seller before this (strange to say considering it is Detroit, but just look at secondary market prices). One day's notice ain't gonna sell out the joint for a weekday game.

It might be brodeurs last game, place will be sold out. Whether you are a fan of his, or not like some on here, you have to respect what hes done for our team.

As others have mentioned I dont think a deal has been made yet bc if it was theres no way he would be playing

#468 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,758 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

If they agree to a deal he won't be in the game. They aren't going to risk an injury or anything just to get him a last game.

Normally this is true, but I don't really think this would be true with Brodeur in this situation. 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#469 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Normally this is true, but I don't really think this would be true with Brodeur in this situation. 

Kind of how the mandatory waiting period for Hall of Fame eligibility was waived for both Gretzky and Lemieux.  Certain guys just get "outside the box" treatment...like goalies who play for one franchise for over 20 years and win 683 games.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Marty gets this game, is traded the following day, and we find out that the deal was basically done before the game started. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#470 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Marty would not be starting if a trade is already in place. If a trade was agreed to, Marty would be on his way to a new team.

I don't think it's too outside the realm of possibility to picture a scenario where each GM agrees on giving Brodeur, the greatest goalie of all time, a 23-season New Jersey Devil, a proper send-off at home.

Brodeur is one of the most respected goaltenders in the history of the game and Lou is one of the most respected general managers in the NHL. No GM risks putting the kibosh in a deal because he didn't grant Lou or Brodeur a simple request.

Don't forget, the popular clause exists that the trade goes through on the condition of a physical.

Edited by DJ Eco, 03 March 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#471 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

It might be brodeurs last game, place will be sold out. Whether you are a fan of his, or not like some on here, you have to respect what hes done for our team.

As others have mentioned I dont think a deal has been made yet bc if it was theres no way he would be playing

Tickets are selling for $12 on TicketExchange and still in the mid-$20's on StubHub (TE has hidden surcharges, StubHub doesn't)...this was headed for a 13,000 crowd before noon today.  3-4000 tickets are a LOT to sell in barely over 24 hours.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#472 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,327 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Tickets are selling for $12 on TicketExchange and still in the mid-$20's on StubHub (TE has hidden surcharges, StubHub doesn't)...this was headed for a 13,000 crowd before noon today. 3-4000 tickets are a LOT to sell in barely over 24 hours.

If there's anything that can get those tickets to move... Its this.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#473 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Cory knows the drill:

Go all season with the headlines of  when will the big name goalie you are outplaying be traded... then, get yourself traded.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#474 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,327 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Also, I feel the need to point out the irony here- If this is indeed Marty's last game as a Devil, it comes against the team he led the franchise to its first Cup against. Just throwing it out there...

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#475 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Also, I feel the need to point out the irony here- If this is indeed Marty's last game as a Devil, it comes against the team he led the franchise to its first Cup against. Just throwing it out there...

Not irony. Just a coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#476 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

And I was there for every game,not just Marty but that whole team was so much fun to watch.....the mighty Red Wings.....swept in 4.....Thank You Marty for everything you have done here.I wish you nothing but the best no matter what unfolds.

And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#477 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

I just can't wrap my head around what happens if Brodeur plays well Tuesday.

I really don't see him getting dealt. Remember, Lou would never trade hm unless he wanted to be dealt. So the hypothetical situation is Brodeur plays quite well Tuesday. All of a sudden he has to make a decision that night what he wants to do. Perhaps Pete says he deserves the next game and all of a sudden Brodeur doesn't ask for a deal because he is getting games and feels there is not enough incentive to change teams for an extra game or two. Now the organization feels pressure to play Brodeur because he stayed thinking he would get games.

You alienate Cory and the unsolvable goalie situation continues to be a mess.

I just don't think anyone in the organization has the balls to say Cory is the #1 goalie. Maybe it isn't even the guts, but that Pete and Lou honestly can't come to grips with it either. And if it was clear to them, Marty doesn't have a shot at this game. Look around the NHL, would any starting goalie with the numbers Cory has sit this GIGANTIC game for another goalie on the roster with similar numbers as Brodeur? I can't even come up with a comparable since there isn't a starting goalie doing as well as Cory paired with a backup doing as poorly as Brodeur this season.

Edited by devilsrule33, 03 March 2014 - 07:34 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#478 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

In this case, why not?   We're not trading him because of the return we stand to get (minimal).  The dude wants playing time.  Tomorrow night he has it and if he gets hurt, no need to trade him. He can spend the rest of the season on IR as a Devil.  

#479 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

I really don't see him getting dealt. Remember, Lou would never trade hm unless he wanted to be dealt. So the hypothetical situation is Brodeur plays quite well Tuesday. All of a sudden he has to make a decision that night what he wants to do. Perhaps Pete says he deserves the next game and all of a sudden Brodeur doesn't ask for a deal because he is getting games. Now the organization feels pressure to play Brodeur.

I just don't think anyone in the organization has the balls to say Cory is the #1 goalie. Maybe it isn't even the guts, but that Pete and Lou honestly can't come to grips with it either. And if it was clear to them, Marty doesn't have a shot at this game. Look around the NHL, would any starting goalie with the numbers Cory has sit this GIGANTIC game for another goalie on the roster with similar numbers as Brodeur? I can't even come up with a comparable since there isn't a starting goalie doing as well as Cory paired with a backup doing as poorly as Brodeur this season.

This situation has already become too dramatic.  Given everything that has happened over the last few days, I think we're at the point that Brodeur needs to go.  We don't want to be the Canucks.  

#480 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

I really don't see him getting dealt. Remember, Lou would never trade hm unless he wanted to be dealt. So the hypothetical situation is Brodeur plays quite well Tuesday. All of a sudden he has to make a decision that night what he wants to do. Perhaps Pete says he deserves the next game and all of a sudden Brodeur doesn't ask for a deal because he is getting games. Now the organization feels pressure to play Brodeur.

Spot on here. I'd be surprised if this is how it DOESNT play out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users