1333 replies to this topic

#1181 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Except when he got Schneider, except when he gave up virtually nothing of value for Kovy (the penalty is another issue), except when he got a useful piece in Poni for nothing, except when he got Zidlicky for not too much, except when he let Clarkson be the Leafs problem and got a pretty useful player in Clowe instead.

I don't love the Rutuu deal, but it isn't a calamity.  The much bigger problem is that Sal and Volchenkov are still here.  But even that isn't so horrible.  As much as it stinks to have Larsson in the minors, at this stage in his career, he is likely not the difference between a playoff spot. 

And what happens next year when we re-sign Zidlicky, re-sign Fayne and don't buy out Sal or Volch?  Lou hasn't shown any inclination ever to alleviate the logjam and after his admission that last year having eight was a distraction, it's worse now.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1182 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,325 posts

He improves the team because he's physical.  We don't have enough physical forwards.  Also look at the guy who he's replacing.  I like Loktionov a lot.  But Ruutu will chip in more offense, and help more on the forecheck.  He's basically a 40 point player.  Carolina has also taken on some salary as well.

this notion that the devils aren't physical enough is fvcking bullsh!t. what, do they think that they're missing clarkson's sandpaper from last year and that's the problem with this year's team? 

if by physical, they mean "borderline dirty", pests who go the extra mile to hit a guy after he made a pass "to let them know you're there", then get the fvck out of this league. that's just not what this league is about. 

the devils team that was aggressive and on detroit players a lot last night is the kind of "physical" that you need in the nhl now. henrique and zajac don't rock people, but they are doggedly agreesive checkers that get the puck turned over a lot. i'd much rather that than an "in your face" player that is good at face-washing a guy.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1183 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,730 posts

There are level headed posters who like this deal.

Where did I say there weren't?

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1184 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Is it really silly? Do you see the hit counts in our games? We don't hit alot. We battle for pucks, so sure were physical in that regard, but we don't really beat up on the other team enough. I for once agree with mike in a sense. We aren't a very physical team.

Yes, it is silly. They are plenty physical for the type of style they play. How many of the same fvcking players do you want that do the same things? 

#1185 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

this notion that the devils aren't physical enough is fvcking bullsh!t. what, do they think that they're missing clarkson's sandpaper from last year and that's the problem with this year's team? 

if by physical, they mean "borderline dirty", pests who go the extra mile to hit a guy after he made a pass "to let them know you're there", then get the fvck out of this league. that's just not what this league is about. 

the devils team that was aggressive and on detroit players a lot last night is the kind of "physical" that you need in the nhl now. henrique and zajac don't rock people, but they are doggedly agreesive checkers that get the puck turned over a lot. i'd much rather that than an "in your face" player that is good at face-washing a guy.

Well call Lou and tell him that. He loves that about Ruutu...and his work in the 2009 playoffs (the last time he saw him play a game).

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1186 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Ruutu is what we needed actually.  You guys are definitely overreacting imo.  We're a better team today than we were yesterday.  Our forecheck is now better because of this trade.

Ruutu has 9 goals and 16 assists in his last 74 games and is 31. I don't think this is the player they needed. Loktionov has 12 goals and 12 assists in his last 76 games and despite his defensive issues, was one of the best passers on the team and excellent in zone exits. Someone who tracked zone entries in 18 Devils games this year also noted that Loktionov was one of the better Devils at carrying the puck in. I don't see why it would've been bad to just keep Loktionov and let him walk at the end of the year instead of taking on a bad contract of a player on the wrong side of 30. 

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1187 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

A)  I lied about being done.  Sue me.

B)  I love when new posters come on here with a holier-than-thou attitude.  This is a hockey forum - are we not supposed to speak our minds?  fvck off with that nonsense.  You're not contributing anything that hasn't already been said.

That quote about 2008 is scary.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 05 March 2014 - 04:09 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1188 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think huge hits have a place, if you don't thats your opinion fine. But if you are a defensmen looking down collecting pucks behind your net and you start getting rocked, it's going to give you a pause. The kind of hits that clowe was throwing against San Jose are what we need a little bit more consistantly, we are def an aggressive/physical team when it comes to many aspects of the game. I don't think he's off the reservation thinking we need guys to throw some weight around and knock some bodies. There is nothing dirty about that either.

#1189 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Really? Really? The Canadiens got Vanek? Great pickup for them. fvck.

Edited by Neb00rs, 05 March 2014 - 04:10 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1190 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Yes, it is silly. They are plenty physical for the type of style they play. How many of the same fvcking players do you want that do the same things? 

Again look at our hit counts most games, we don't hit alot.

#1191 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

the deals you brought up aren't what i'm talking about.

clowe's been acceptable but that deal is going to be a trainwreck and you know it.

the salvador contract - no defense for it (pun intended)

up against the cap in '07 because of bad roster construction

8 d-men

just not thinking about the whole picture. 

he doesn't do it every time, obviously. he just does it way too much for my liking.

Clowe might be a trainwreck in two years.  I can live with that.  And it's just as likely that he ends up on LTIR before he's a dumpster fire on the ice. If that's the case, nothing really lost.

Salvador's contract is not really the issue.  He gets paid what an average NHL defenseman gets, and could have been dealt pretty easily after last year, if the idea was to just get rid of him.  It's frustrating that Lou didn't pull the trigger on that, but again, Larsson just has not been great shakes thus far, and you can't count on him to be any sort of savior in the short term.   It's hard to accept the fact that a highly touted prospect doesn't really meet expectations.  It certainly has been for me. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1192 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

OK -- see the thing is -- is Larsson really all that good?  i mean that's really the thing there.  He might just be a bust - because he sure was no great shakes in the NHL.  Our d all interchangeably sucks pretty much.  All kinds of potential - that's kind of coming to nothing anyhow -- so how can you screw up nothing?  Everything out there sucks just as much when seen through the Devils lens.  No one would have added to this team.  We need some BRAINS.  Where is that lazy sh!t Niedermayer when you need him?  fvckin' around out West -- as usual.

PK, Im usually with you, but before his injury Larsson was playing well... certainly he is better then Gelinas, who seems to be on the ice for almost every goal against. Larsson's upside is better than any dman the Devs have onthe ice, but he needs to be in NJ, not Albany, the Albany coach all but said he is too good to be here. LL has to take a hit for the way this team is built, that is his job, building the team, and when you have 9 dmen, and you cannot seem to move 1 at the deadline to get your D man w/ the biggest upside onthe ice in the NHL, then you screwed up.

Maybe Larssson will never become the player I envision, but I kow for a fact either will Fayne, Harrold, Vol or Sal. And you can add gelinas to that list as well, although I completely understand why he is here and how important that shot is...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#1193 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

And what happens next year when we re-sign Zidlicky, re-sign Fayne and don't buy out Sal or Volch?  Lou hasn't shown any inclination ever to alleviate the logjam and after his admission that last year having eight was a distraction, it's worse now.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1194 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Admit it, you type that to get a reaction. Because if you are serious, that is absolutely silly.

No I did not type that to get a reaction.  But seriously who besides Clowe do we have that's physical?  Bernier?  I'm not saying our forwards are soft.  What I am saying is that we don't have forwards who initiate physicality.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1195 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Is it really silly? Do you see the hit counts in our games? We don't hit alot. We battle for pucks, so sure were physical in that regard, but we don't really beat up on the other team enough. I for once agree with mike in a sense. We aren't a very physical team.

I agree with both points.  Our hit counts are usually low, I too have noticed that, but I am not sure why.  We have plenty of big guys like Zubrus, Jagr, Zajac.  Granted they were playing on a line together for a while lol, but even Clowe likes to hit, and of course our trio of 4th line grinders in Bernier/Gionta/Carter should be hitting some, so I am not sure why the numbers are low.  It has to be the system/style the coaches are preaching.  

#1196 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Again look at our hit counts most games, we don't hit alot.

Hit counts are like shot counts. Unless you're counting them personally, do you trust them 100%? From my seats, they hit enough that reflects their style of play. Do you want them slamming every opposiite color jersey every shift like madmen? There's hard, smart fore checking and there is running around all over the place. Physical play is not an issue with this team. 

#1197 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I kind of like it. This sounds like the same reaction the Zidlicky trade got two years ago.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#1198 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

People LOVED the Zidlicky trade...we needed a PP QB in the worst way.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1199 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Hit counts are like shot counts. Unless you're counting them personally, do you trust them 100%? From my seats, they hit enough that reflects their style of play. Do you want them slamming every opposiite color jersey every shift like madmen? There's hard, smart fore checking and there is running around all over the place. Physical play is not an issue with this team. 

Apparently, some posters want the forward unit to consist of 6 scorers and 6 Cam Janssens.

#1200 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,158 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

WE ARE THERE lol we've had a ridiculous logjam for years now

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users