1326 replies to this topic

#1201 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

How many times have we seen opposing teams easily break off our forecheck because we don't play the body?  Ruutu will help that.  How about when we're pinned in our defensive zone because we just let the opposition cycle the puck without playing the body?  Ruutu will help that.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1202 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

People LOVED the Zidlicky trade...we needed a PP QB in the worst way.  

To be fair, I do remember some people lamenting that we gave up on the great Nick Palmieri... :giggle:

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1203 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

I'm going to assume that's directed at me.  I'm not coming in here with a holier than thou attitude, and certainly not saying you can't voice your opinion -- obviously, yes, that is the point of a forum -- I just can't believe the number of people acting like the freaking apocalypse is coming just because a few guys didn't get moved, and because we basically executed a one-for-one swap, losing a guy who has contributed 12 more points this year than I have.

Wrong. So, who are you over on HF for real?

Edited by TheRedStorm, 05 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#1204 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Doesn't anyone remember what happened when we added Kovy? Cup contenders one minute, collapsing in five in the first round the next.

BillyWitchDoctor.com

2014-2015 TRFHL Patrick Division Champions

#1205 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,435 posts

Nice smart ass, clearly I said everyone in the top 6 should be running around checking guys. But guess what we play teams like fvcking pittsburg and can be behind in hits. If a team with that top end talent throws their weight around so can we.

We do lack a certain physicallity right now, and if you wanna be olbivious to that or say its not needed fine, but don't be fvcking twats lashing out at people that think it's an important thing to have.

He's slow so I imagine if he steps up on the defensemen they can easily get past him and make him look like a fool.

It WAS an important thing to have pre 2005 lockout.  Teams like Pittsburgh are not going out throwing crushing hits every game and winning.  Instead they are winning board battles, they are faster, younger and have better overall talent than ours.

We have plenty of toughness.  We just lack talent, speed and youth.

#1206 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

wrong ruutu

Nop it's the right one... Many Ruutu hits Jagr over the year...

But yes.. Tuomo isn't the one that almost kill Jaromir during olympics .. years ago ! 

#1207 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

Doesn't anyone remember what happened when we added Kovy? Cup contenders one minute, collapsing in five in the first round the next.

The malaise had kicked in about a month before the Kovy trade. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1208 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

People LOVED the Zidlicky trade...we needed a PP QB in the worst way.  

I remember the word "senile" being thrown around after Lou made that deal.

BillyWitchDoctor.com

2014-2015 TRFHL Patrick Division Champions

#1209 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Let's all get some perspective here. Think about the Islanders' GM, Mr. Garth Snow: he basically just traded Matt Moulson, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Sebastian Collberg and a worse second round pick. Collberg better pan out for them or else this team is just choosing to destroy itself...

Edited by Neb00rs, 05 March 2014 - 04:27 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1210 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Dam gaborik to LA. And Thomas to Dallas.

#1211 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

One of the weird ones trickling in after the deadline.... Calgary trades Reto Berra to Colorado for a 2nd rd pick.  Strange on both ends... A second is a lot for a guy to sit behind Giguere and Varlamov, and now Calgary is rolling with Kari Ramo and Joni Ortio.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1212 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Pat Brisson, Luongo and Brodeur's representative, said that he had "conversations" regarding Marty's future prior to the trade deadline.  He just came on Toronto's version of ESPN Radio.  He did say, however, Lou did NOT give him authorization to talk to any teams, unlike what Vancouver did with Luongo.

He also said that Brodeur was "OK" with still being a Devil.

Funny that Brisson seemed very "tentative" when talking about Brodeur and Lamoriello.  It's almost as if he had been given a gag order or had signed a confidentiality agreement with the Devils.  lol.

#1213 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Would have liked for us to get Cammalieri or take a stab at Moulson.  Ruutu doesn't fix our scoring.  

Posted Image Posted Image

#1214 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts

One of the weird ones trickling in after the deadline.... Calgary trades Reto Berra to Colorado for a 2nd rd pick.  Strange on both ends... A second is a lot for a guy to sit behind Giguere and Varlamov, and now Calgary is rolling with Kari Ramo and Joni Ortio.

Well, Giguere is probably gone after this year. Berra I can see them resigning.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1215 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Let's all get some perspective here. Think about the Islanders' GM, Mr. Garth Snow: he basically just traded Matt Moulson, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Sebastian Collberg and a worse second round pick. Collberg better pan out for them or else this team is just choosing to destroy itself...

That's what happens when you try to nickel and dime people and wait for the "better offer"...you end up getting burned.  And burned they have gotten with the whole Moulson / Vanek situation.  It looks as if Buffalo did amazing things with these two guys...lol.

#1216 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Salvador's contract is not really the issue.  He gets paid what an average NHL defenseman gets, and could have been dealt pretty easily after last year, if the idea was to just get rid of him.  It's frustrating that Lou didn't pull the trigger on that, but again, Larsson just has not been great shakes thus far, and you can't count on him to be any sort of savior in the short term.   It's hard to accept the fact that a highly touted prospect doesn't really meet expectations.  It certainly has been for me. 

salvador's contract is very much an issue in that it exists. i don't care if he made the league minimum with jake taylor. he got 3 years to clog the roster when the devils had others that were more appropriate for that spot.

when larsson has been given a shot, he's been plenty good. admittedly, i am probably higher than actual on him while you are most definitely lower than actual on him but the biggest issue with larsson is that salvador is blocking his path. notice i didn't say volchenkov and that's not because of my bias for him. it's because when volchenkov was signed, his contract made sense (yes it was probably 1 or 2 years too long but that's UFA). the team and roster were setting up for sal to not be resigned. but he had a out of character 6 weeks during the playoffs and here we are 

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

sundstrom jersey signature

“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1217 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hah, wow I hadn't put this together in my head yet.

That's EMBARRASSING.  

hxMQPDl.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 8-5

#1218 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Yup. Worst GM of the day? I'd put Steve Yzerman in there too. He basically let a player bully him into making his contending team weaker. If he were in a hockey market, he would likely be fired.

Posted Image

#1219 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,982 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Pat Brisson, Luongo and Brodeur's representative, said that he had "conversations" regarding Marty's future prior to the trade deadline.  He just came on Toronto's version of ESPN Radio.  He did say, however, Lou did NOT give him authorization to talk to any teams, unlike what Vancouver did with Luongo.

He also said that Brodeur was "OK" with still being a Devil.

Funny that Brisson seemed very "tentative" when talking about Brodeur and Lamoriello.  It's almost as if he had been given a gag order or had signed a confidentiality agreement with the Devils.  lol.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Marty. The league holds Devan Dubnyk in higher regard right now... just hang 'em up after this year. Please.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1220 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

Would have liked for us to get Cammalieri or take a stab at Moulson.  Ruutu doesn't fix our scoring.  

No, but he helps our forecheck.  He's also good defensively.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users