1326 replies to this topic

#1221 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

so the 3 moves im looking at the most today...

Rangers got MSL... 

Habs got Vanek...

We got Ruutu...

Not an happy day

www.SterioDesign.com

#1222 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I like ruutu better than Steve Sullivan

#1223 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

salvador's contract is very much an issue in that it exists. i don't care if he made the league minimum with jake taylor. he got 3 years to clog the roster when the devils had others that were more appropriate for that spot.

when larsson has been given a shot, he's been plenty good. admittedly, i am probably higher than actual on him while you are most definitely lower than actual on him but the biggest issue with larsson is that salvador is blocking his path. notice i didn't say volchenkov and that's not because of my bias for him. it's because when volchenkov was signed, his contract made sense (yes it was probably 1 or 2 years too long but that's UFA). the team and roster were setting up for sal to not be resigned. but he had a out of character 6 weeks during the playoffs and here we are 

That's fair.  But at the same time it's only fair to concede that Salvador and Volchenkov  are part of what is among the best defensive units in the league, if you're going on shots against, goals against, and the penalty kill.  It's hard to say that they have nothing to do with that, or that the shots against and shots/goals for would be significantly better if they were replaced by Larsson. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not reflexively in favor of everything Lou does.  Not giving up the 2012 pick could prove to be a minor disaster.  Not being able to sh!t or get off the pot so far as Larsson being in the NHL or not could prove to be hugely counterproductive. 

I think we'll really know if Lou has completely lost his marbles this offseason. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1224 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Motormouth Marty's first interview....

Motormouth Marty...lol

A guy who, for 20 years, has been pretty much a great example of how to deal with pressure, the spotlight, and the media, is suddenly thought of as a motor mouth?  Jesus, I must be getting old, or people are just getting dumber. 

#1225 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Yup. Worst GM of the day? I'd put Steve Yzerman in there too. He basically let a player bully him into making his contending team weaker. If he were in a hockey market, he would likely be fired.

Yzerman has made some stupid deals, and although they might be weaker today, Callahan could still provide useful to them, depending on what he asks for after this season, and those two picks could also end up being HUGE.  A first and at least a second, which could turn into another 1st.  That's a STEAL for a 38yr old forward who has father time stalking him, not to mention the fact that he didn't want to be there and requested the trade himself.

Wrong. So, who are you over on HF for real?

I actually don't post there :)

He's slow so I imagine if he steps up on the foward they can easily get past him and make him look like a fool.

Yeah, but guys like Stevens, Daneyko, and Driver weren't exactly fast either. 

Edited by NJDfan1711, 05 March 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#1226 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Lou really has no choice but to trade this offseason to bring in some young forward talent.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#1227 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Tao on the move again.

@BlueJacketsNHL: GM Jarmo Kekalainen said #CBJ has acquired F Dana Tyrell & D Matt Taormina from TB in exchange for Jonathan Marchessault & Dalton Smith.

#1228 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Lou really has no choice but to trade this offseason to bring in some young forward talent.

So in that case, what over the hill, 35+ year old, former scorer will we overpay for?

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#1229 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Marty. The league holds Devan Dubnyk in higher regard right now... just hang 'em up after this year. Please.

after last night that was probably such an ego boost for him.. the crowd chanting for him and hes taking it all in as everyone loves him and doesnt want him gone.. will only influence him to try to resign next year
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1230 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

with the trade by the Devils today I am kind of nervous to see what Lou is going to do during free agency

#1231 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Motormouth Marty...lol

A guy who, for 20 years, has been pretty much a great example of how to deal with pressure, the spotlight, and the media, is suddenly thought of as a motor mouth?  Jesus, I must be getting old, or people are just getting dumber. 

Perhaps you did not read my earlier posts explaining precisely why I made the post you quoted

#1232 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Let's all get some perspective here. Think about the Islanders' GM, Mr. Garth Snow: he basically just traded Matt Moulson, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Sebastian Collberg and a worse second round pick. Collberg better pan out for them or else this team is just choosing to destroy itself...

and apparently the 2nd round pick is conditional on Montreal making the playoffs (they probably will but it just goes to show how low they sold vanek for).

#1233 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Apparently (Listening to Nick Kypros) Marty Brodeur is pissed that he isn't moving.   For what its worth.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1234 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Apparently (Listening to Nick Kypros) Marty Brodeur is pissed that he isn't moving.   For what its worth.

Good, he won't want to sign here next year.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1235 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,846 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

I wouldn't care about pissed Brodeur except that I know pissed Brodeur probably means he will get a shot for a lot of games.

Looking at the Vanek trade...and looking at the Devils deal. Just have to shake your head.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1236 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Marty can go fvck himself. No one wanted him.

#1237 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,846 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Marty can go fvck himself. No one wanted him.

Lou did.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1238 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Agreed. I don't know if Vanek is the answer but I think the Devils certainly could've matche the offer IF they thought they had a chance of resigning him. Devils still aren't in a position of rentals. They don't have the assets.

I wouldn't care about pissed Brodeur except that I know pissed Brodeur probably means he will get a shot for a lot of games.

Looking at the Vanek trade...and looking at the Devils deal. Just have to shake your head.

Lou did.

I bet Lou tried to move to get anything for him. I don't think teams wanted Marty. He's a headache. He wanted probably a guaranteed shot to play. Anyone who has seen him play knows that is dumb.

#1239 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,691 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

I bet Lou tried to move to get anything for him. I don't think teams wanted Marty. He's a headache. He wanted probably a guaranteed shot to play. Anyone who has seen him play knows that is dumb.

I am curious as to what went on behind the scenes with all of this.  If Marty is actually pissed that he's still here (I'd really like to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one), it's truly a shame.  This final chapter seems to be getting uglier by the day.  There's going to be a much higher percentage of "Thank God, just GO already" Devil fans if Marty retires or signs with someone else than I ever thought.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1240 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Certainly, having Jagr on the team doesn't help Marty one bit.  He's probably saying to himself, "If this guy can come here and lead the team in scoring at 42, sure as heck I can still play goalie at 41"...

It's a "mine is bigger than yours" enigma the Devils have on their hands.

And let's be fair here, if Jagr was playing 2nd or 3rd line minutes, he would probably suck too.  So, I get Marty's argument here.  "If I don't play, I can't be good..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users