1333 replies to this topic

#1261 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

If the Devils fall out of contention I see Marty getting a fair amount of starts, especially at home. If they hang in the race, we are going to see how professional Marty is in handling the situation.

I can see this getting ugly where Marty ends up on waivers.

Marty on waivers, rofl. Like Lou would ever even entertain that thought.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1262 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Some late round picks were probably offered for Marty and Lou turned them down knowing it would hurt Marty's feelings if he was traded for a late round pick.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#1263 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

If the Devils fall out of contention I see Marty getting a fair amount of starts, especially at home. If they hang in the race, we are going to see how professional Marty is in handling the situation.
I can see this getting ugly where Marty ends up on waivers.

you are out to lunch.

This is one of those posts that in 5 years will be great to bump for a good laugh.

#1264 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I misread it.  Sorry man.

You misread mine...great job.  I said IF Marty was pissed and I also said I want to give him the benefit of the doubt about him even being pissed.  That qualifies as an overreaction?  Give me a fvcking break.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1265 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

"hello Jagr... aaaawkwaaard !  " 

wrong ruutu

I'm confused -- Are there 2 Ruutu's who wear #15 and wore the A for Finland in the 2011 world championships? Or are you saying he was a different player than?

I'm here for the party

#1266 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

I'm confused -- Are there 2 Ruutu's who wear #15 and wore the A for Finland in the 2011 world championships? Or are you saying he was a different player than?

my bad - i thought you were referring to the hit jarko ruutu put on him more recently

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1267 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Motormouth Marty...lol

A guy who, for 20 years, has been pretty much a great example of how to deal with pressure, the spotlight, and the media, is suddenly thought of as a motor mouth?  Jesus, I must be getting old, or people are just getting dumber. 

:clap2:

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1268 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Marty can go fvck himself. No one wanted him.

Not wanting Marty to play or be on the team is a legitimate opinion and many posters have made valid posts regarding those opinions. As for comments like the one above, they make me embarrassed to argue, as I often do, that Devils fans are a cut above the rest.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1269 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Eh, I've always found a lot of Brodeur's comments to be cringe worthy when he gets his back up against the wall.  For years I just wrote it off as him being the one that all the reporters run to and stick a microphone in his face right after a tough loss but I didn't like a lot of his comments the year he melted down against the Rangers and Avery and I'll always remember him throwing Colin White under the bus after Staal blew the series winner past him in the last minute.  His act has really grown tiresome now that he's a below average goalie.   

I do think he'll end up retiring a Devil though.  I suspect today's deadline was a preview of the type of interest he's going to receive this summer.  Given that almost every comment he makes these days is about wanting more playing time and the fact that he plays such a different style that the young goalies in terms of mentoring someone, I just don't see a situation where it makes sense for a GM to bring him in next year.    

#1270 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Eh, I've always found a lot of Brodeur's comments to be cringe worthy when he gets his back up against the wall.  For years I just wrote it off as him being the one that all the reporters run to and stick a microphone in his face right after a tough loss but I didn't like a lot of his comments the year he melted down against the Rangers and Avery and I'll always remember him throwing Colin White under the bus after Staal blew the series winner past him in the last minute.  His act has really grown tiresome now that he's a below average goalie.   

I do think he'll end up retiring a Devil though.  I suspect today's deadline was a preview of the type of interest he's going to receive this summer.  Given that almost every comment he makes these days is about wanting more playing time and the fact that he plays such a different style that the young goalies in terms of mentoring someone, I just don't see a situation where it makes sense for a GM to bring him in next year.    

1) I'm definitely hoping the rumors (Kypreos, for whatever that's worth) about Marty not being happy to still be here are false, because the idea of that kinda sucks.

2) Now that his possibly being dealt is no longer a story, I hope he simply plays out the season as quietly as possible (though I expect the retirement questions to take the place of the deadline questions), then retires at the end of the season...and by retire I mean he actually announces it shortly after the end of the season, not in November or so because no one was interested.  I think the lack of interest really said a lot...I thought there might be a team or two fooled by his past and willing to take a chance on him, but I think most (if not all) franchises see that Martin Brodeur is Martin Brodeur in name only.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1271 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Marty on waivers, rofl. Like Lou would ever even entertain that thought.

I know it is ridiculous, but Yzerman didn't have to trade St. Louis when they are a top team in the NHL, but he did.  MB30 is gonna make things ugly IF he rides the pine. Don't underestimate Marty's desire to play.  If you don't think he pushed Lou hard for a trade I don't know what to tell ya.  He wants to play, and don't see him going down without a fight or starting games.

#1272 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

1) I'm definitely hoping the rumors (Kypreos, for whatever that's worth) about Marty not being happy to still be here are false, because the idea of that kinda sucks.

2) Now that his possibly being dealt is no longer a story, I hope he simply plays out the season as quietly as possible (though I expect the retirement questions to take the place of the deadline questions), then retires at the end of the season...and by retire I mean he actually announces it shortly after the end of the season, not in November or so because no one was interested.  I think the lack of interest really said a lot...I thought there might be a team or two fooled by his past and willing to take a chance on him, but I think most (if not all) franchises see that Martin Brodeur is Martin Brodeur in name only.

It's funny because I listened to expert or analyst over and over say the same thing: Why would any team want Brodeur? And why does Brodeur want out when he is in the best situation possible in New Jersey.

As for what I bolded in your post: Why should Brodeur play out the season quietly when he has started 3 less games than Schneider. Why should he think he is done when the team he plays for doesn't think so and continues to start him game after game regardless of them having a top 5 goalie in the league on the team?  Why should Brodeur think he is done when internally management, coaches and players suck up and keep talking how well he's played.

Maybe it was a wake up call to Marty. Maybe he realized everyone around him are a bunch of yes men. He might have realized he isn't loved anywhere else, but he continues to be loved in NJ and by the man making the decisions. So that leaves us as Devils fans stuck with Brodeur playing important games down the stretch and maybe beyond this year. Because we know it isn't going to be anywhere but here.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1273 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

dr33, I'm hoping the lack of interest from other teams maybe opened Marty's eyes a little, but sadly, as we've seen, Cory isn't allowed to have a meh game and gets minimal leeway, so it looks like Marty will be treated as an equal to Schneider, even though the numbers clearly say something different. 

What's sad is this guy meant so much to this franchise and had such an amazing career overall, but if Lou re-signs him for next season, I think at least half the fanbase is going to be dead set against it, if not more.  Really crappy way for a legend to go out.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1274 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

I happened to hear Lou on WFAN and he went through the usual schtick - we have 2 great goalies, Marty actually has more wins, the defense stopped playing in front of Marty.  It's just hard to tell what his real feelings are beyond that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1275 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

I happened to hear Lou on WFAN and he went through the usual schtick - we have 2 great goalies, Marty actually has more wins, the defense stopped playing in front of Marty.  It's just hard to tell what his real feelings are beyond that.

Right. It's got nothing to do with Marty's poor positioning or slow old man reaction time.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#1276 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

I really think Pete is doing what he thinks is best for his job at this point. The man had no issues at the start going with Hedberg or pulling Brodeur in a tie game. It took him some time, but he probably knows who's the boss in this organization.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1277 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

I really think Pete is doing what he thinks is best for his job at this point. The man had no issues at the start going with Hedberg or pulling Brodeur in a tie game. It took him some time, but he probably knows who's the boss in this organization.

He started Schneider 8 straight games.  I think you are overlooking this.

It's just so galling that Brodeur has gotten the goal support he has, there has to be a 5% or worse chance that the goal support split would be like it is.

Edited by Triumph, 05 March 2014 - 10:57 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1278 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Bleh I'm just disgusted with the situation.

The logjam on D continues, Larsson's likely going to rot in Albany for the rest of the season, Marty's going to start way too many games here on out, Cory's going to get the shaft big time.. Bleh. Just messy.

Lou created this situation unfortunately. Now he's going to have to deal with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1279 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

I'm not overlooking it, but I'm pretty sure Cory probably has to win this weekend or Brodeur starts the next game. I do know that Deboer can not, will not, and does not want to say Cory is THE GUY in nets.

#1280 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Even when Marty himself said Cory was the guy publicly early this year, Pete wouldn't go along with that assessment.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users