1333 replies to this topic

#1281 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

I'm not overlooking it, but I'm pretty sure Cory probably has to win this weekend or Brodeur starts the next game. I do know that Deboer can not, will not, and does not want to say Cory is THE GUY in nets.

If Cory gets shelled, then maybe Marty gets the next game.  Otherwise, Lou and Pete say what they need to say. 

If perhaps Lou had some semblance of belief that Marty could still be counted on, I think he got a real education when he realized there wasn't another team that was willing to part with anything of significance for him.  I'm sure Pete got the message too. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1282 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Well only an idiot coach would truly play Brodeur over Schneider.  I don't think Pete is an idiot.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1283 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

Not saying one way is right or wrong, but it sure is better when you get this kind of information from a GM after the deadline.

Here is an interview with Bryan Murray, where he pretty much gives Sens fans all the information they'd want to know. Worth listening to for the contrast between him and Lou.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1284 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:23 AM

I don't see what is bad about starting Marty. It isn't a sign the DeBoer thinks he is as good as Schneider (as we all know he isn't even close). DeBoer has been playing the goalie who wins, there was a time he even played Hedberg over Marty for that reason. It isn't about stats at all: right now the goalie with whom the team is performing better for gets the call. Marty had a really bad game outside and guess what?: He sat healthy for probably the longest period in his career. 

Hey, I'd like to see Schneider in net 90% of the time - sometimes Marty can't stop a beach ball. However, we've won with Marty in net more times than we have won with Cory in net this season. So, no matter why that is, it's perfectly legitimate to play Marty because despite the stats, the Devils are coming out with wins.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1285 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

Larsson's likely going to rot in Albany for the rest of the season, 

FWIW I don't think it's doing him any bad, but he sure as sh!t would be of more use in NJ than in Albany.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#1286 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

Even when Marty himself said Cory was the guy publicly early this year, Pete wouldn't go along with that assessment.

That statement by Marty was to setup a win win situation for himself. He never believed what he said.

#1287 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

FWIW I don't think it's doing him any bad, but he sure as sh!t would be of more use in NJ than in Albany.

He won't get any worse playing in Albany but he also won't get any better he needs to be upgraded to a higher level of competition like the NHL.

Edited by LucifersDog, 06 March 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#1288 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

I don't see what is bad about starting Marty. It isn't a sign the DeBoer thinks he is as good as Schneider (as we all know he isn't even close). DeBoer has been playing the goalie who wins, there was a time he even played Hedberg over Marty for that reason. It isn't about stats at all: right now the goalie with whom the team is performing better for gets the call. Marty had a really bad game outside and guess what?: He sat healthy for probably the longest period in his career. 

Hey, I'd like to see Schneider in net 90% of the time - sometimes Marty can't stop a beach ball. However, we've won with Marty in net more times than we have won with Cory in net this season. So, no matter why that is, it's perfectly legitimate to play Marty because despite the stats, the Devils are coming out with wins.

Based on this statement Marty should start Friday. I don't believe that I didn't think he should have started Tuesdays game it was too risky but he did and we were lucky that Detroit scored a goal for us while Marty allowed at least one softie.

#1289 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Always nice to have a night to sleep on this stuff.

Re:  Ruutu, in some ways it's like the Devils got him for nothing.  Loktionov wasn't going to be here after this year anyway.  Maybe he turns into something for someone else, but the guess here is he'll continue to show why he was taken in the 5th round, if he's even in the NHL next season.  The fact is that if you really show something and force yourself to be noticed, teams will find a way to get you in the lineup, or at the very least, in more significant roles.  He opened some eyes with that 7 goal, 4 assist burst in his first 18 GP as a Devil, but he hadn't done much since (13 points in his last 58 GP).  Maybe the simple fact is the reason Loki never really made a name for himself here or in LA is that he's simply not very good and hasn't really progressed much.  As for a conditional 2017 3rd-rounder, I can't worry about a mid-round pick that's several seasons away.  I'm guessing the reason it's so far off is that it's contigent on Ruutu re-signing with the Devils?  Anyway, the pick isn't really a big deal.

As for Ruutu himself, he's not a sexy player and his salary is not great, but at least the 'Canes are on the hook for 20% of the cash he has coming to him.  Hopefully his low shooting% is due for some positive regression.  But I've moved from the "WTF?!" camp to the "OK, doesn't look great at first glance, but let's give it a chance" group.  I like that he at least can get a practice or two in with his new teammates. 

The fact that the defensive logjam hasn't been alleviated is frustrating.  At first, I was surprised that Lou couldn't get Carolina to take a bad contract back, but Carolina was clearly looking to shed salary and not do a wash, so I guess it's safe to say Carolina wasn't taking salary back.  I'm guessing unless Loki shows them a hell of a lot, they'll just let him walk.  I don't think the 'Canes cared much about what they were getting back, I think they were just looking to get some coin off their cap for the offseason.  Loki's #1 appeal to them was probably the fact that his contract was expiring and cheap to boot.  I don't think they were trying to nab a prospect.

Re:  Marty...the ball is really in his court now.  No matter what happens between now and the end of the season, unless he rips the Devils organization or the fans, I think whatever bad feelings some Devils fans are currently having towards him will subside...if Devils fans can get past Scott Niedermayer leaving their team to go win a Cup with someone else, they can get past anything.  For all the "Greedermayer", "Needmybrother", and "Mamma's Boy" hatred that came his way just after and during his Ducks career, people got over it, and were willing to celebrate his number retirement without issue...most truly embraced the event, and him as a result.  All Marty really has to do is the following and he'll be fine:

1)  Act like you're 100% happy to still be a Devil, even if you're not.  Say some things to that effect. 

2)  No talk about playing time (or lack thereof) or playing next season.  No one wants to hear that from a declining .899 save% 41-year-old, especially when the other guy is clearly much better.  The less you say about this, the less guys like PDB and Lou and teammates and others have to look bad saying things and singing praises that just about every Devils fan knows are horsesh!t.  If fans know you're not terribly good anymore, you can bet that everyone else does too, even if they don't dare say it. 

3)  For the remaining 19 games of this season, be a good soldier.  You WILL get some games, probably more than you deserve.  You won't be put out to pasture.  Make the most of them.   

4)  Please retire at the end of this year.  Don't Messier your way into making the Devils keep you around for one last season when every last sign points to you being finished.  Don't make the NHL force you to retire.  Do it on your terms, as a Devil, end of this season, gracefully.                

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 06 March 2014 - 07:53 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1290 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

CR76 I agree, but with Marty, and I hope he proves me wrong, is that he shuts his mouth and accepts his new role and that's it. I can't have him play another year. I just am a disgusted at these legacy starts. I really feel, also, that Marty will play tomorrow night in Detroit.

#1291 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

There is no time 'ever' DeBoer went with a healthy Hedberg over Marty for a multi-game stretch.  Marty was hurt early in '11-12 for about three weeks, that's the only reason why his and Hedberg's GP were so close into January.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1292 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Marty is going to play a little bit going forward. He has to, we need a backup to start a little. I'm fine with that, but you have to be really selective. Try to keep it against weaker teams on home-ice.

And btw, F the league for all these back-to-backs.

Marty's rest of the season should look like this:

@Florida 3/14

Florida 3/31

Carolina 4/5

Depending on the playoff race if he plays against the Isles or Senators. If we're in the playoffs, play him against Boston to end the season. I swear to god if we need that Boston game to get in and they play Marty, I'd flip out.

#1293 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Cory should play tmrw and Marty should play Saturday. (Mostly because I'm going Saturday and I want to enjoy these last Marty games before he retires)

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#1294 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Well said CR76- I was really taken aback yesterday by how many people were upset that Marty wasn't moved. Everything about the situation has been hearsay so far... Nothing Marty or anyone else in the lockerroom has said publicly thus far can be construed in any way as being divisive or hurting the team.

#1295 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Re:  Marty...the ball is really in his court now.  No matter what happens between now and the end of the season, unless he rips the Devils organization or the fans, I think whatever bad feelings some Devils fans are currently having towards him will subside...if Devils fans can get past Scott Niedermayer leaving their team to go win a Cup with someone else, they can get past anything.  For all the "Greedermayer", "Needmybrother", and "Mamma's Boy" hatred that came his way just after and during his Ducks career, people got over it, and were willing to celebrate his number retirement without issue...most truly embraced the event, and him as a result.  All Marty really has to do is the following and he'll be fine:

1)  Act like you're 100% happy to still be a Devil, even if you're not.  Say some things to that effect. 

2)  No talk about playing time (or lack thereof) or playing next season.  No one wants to hear that from a declining .899 save% 41-year-old, especially when the other guy is clearly much better.  The less you say about this, the less guys like PDB and Lou and teammates and others have to look bad saying things and singing praises that just about every Devils fan knows are horsesh!t.  If fans know you're not terribly good anymore, you can bet that everyone else does too, even if they don't dare say it. 

3)  For the remaining 19 games of this season, be a good soldier.  You WILL get some games, probably more than you deserve.  You won't be put out to pasture.  Make the most of them.   

4)  Please retire at the end of this year.  Don't Messier your way into making the Devils keep you around for one last season when every last sign points to you being finished.  Don't make the NHL force you to retire.  Do it on your terms, as a Devil, end of this season, gracefully.                

I agree with everything you say but there is one huge difference between him and Niedermayer.  Scott was never a detriment to the team and acted like a true professional throughout.  I know there were some early season hold outs earlier in his career but that was still when Lou ruled with a iron fist.  I always felt like he did nothing but help us win games and was never a distraction.   The rules were set that at a certain age, he became a UFA and he decided to go somewhere else.  I have no problem with that.  I had a bigger problem with the fact that it took years for Lou to adequately replace him.   You can argue he never did.     

With Marty, it has been nothing but wanting more playing time and doing what is best for him over the last 6 months.  I don't think the guy owes me anything personally but as a Devils fan, I find it sickening to see the way he's treating the organization that has done just as much, if not more for him, than he as he has done for them.  Hopefully, yesterday was a wake up call to him about his true value and he'll keep his mouth shut for the rest of the season and be the good soldier but who knows.  I know I've lost a ton of respect for the guy and it's going to be an even tougher pill to swallow if we miss the playoff by a point or two.     

#1296 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Marty is going to play a little bit going forward. He has to, we need a backup to start a little. I'm fine with that, but you have to be really selective. Try to keep it against weaker teams on home-ice.

And btw, F the league for all these back-to-backs.

Marty's rest of the season should look like this:

@Florida 3/14

Florida 3/31

Carolina 4/5

Depending on the playoff race if he plays against the Isles or Senators. If we're in the playoffs, play him against Boston to end the season. I swear to god if we need that Boston game to get in and they play Marty, I'd flip out.

Everyone keeps saying this, but we don't actually. Brodeur would regularly start 75+ games, and even when Brodeur went down last year, Hedberg started as many games in a row until Brodeur got back.

Schneider got weeks off, so he is going to be well rested. It comes down to the Devils not treating Brodeur like a typical Devils backup when he might as well be Kinkaid or Clemmensen.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1297 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Lat, in fairness to Marty, I don't think he's been constantly going out of his way to bring his situation up to the media...he comments on it when asked.  The deadline had a lot to do with the frequency of the questions ramping up.  One could argue that he could (or should) have been a little less forthcoming, maybe come across a little less "me first", but I think this has been, and remains, a very difficult adjustment for him. 

The rest is all speculation at this point...we've heard from Kypreos-types that Marty's supposedly not happy with still being a Devil, but I'm not willing to take their collective word for it.  Marty doesn't really have to do much here except say that he supports the Devils and is happy to be here whether he plays in 3 games or 13, and not talk about next year until this season is over.  It's OK to lie through his teeth in this case about the particulars...his teammates, GM, and coach have been doing it on his behalf for months now. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1298 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I just wonder what it's gonna take to Marty to "realize" he's done. Numbers certainly isnt, hopefully the trade deadline opened at least ONE eye... 

like i said i'd just like to see him finish the season without really being so OUT THERE with the medias feeding them quotes putting unnecessary pressure on the organization or Schneider (somewhat) 

and then he tries to get a pro tryout "somewhere" but doesnt get a contract, wait a few weeks/months home and then decide / realize it's time...

i REALLY think that's what it would take. 

Wonder IF he does sign somewhere if Lou would do a move like they did for Modano to sign him for like a day or wtv just so he retires as a Devils 

www.SterioDesign.com

#1299 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

We'll see CR.  It will be interesting to see how he handles this.  He did handle the benching for Team Canada well in Vancouver so there is reason to hope he will take the high road from here on out.  

Sterio, I think your hypothetical is exactly what will happen.  Marty is not going to get signed July 1 so he'll end up going somewhere on a pro tryout in September before finally calling it quits.  

#1300 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

and then he tries to get a pro tryout "somewhere" but doesnt get a contract, wait a few weeks/months home and then decide / realize it's time...

Yes, I think that's what will happen. 

Edit: regarding Marty and others being better...it seems he can acknowledge that Corey/Luongo are better goalies but he has zero clue of what it takes to play in the NHL. Zero.

Edited by Marshall, 06 March 2014 - 10:16 AM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users