The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

They are not dime a dozen prospects.  Teams go nuts for these sorts of players when they turn out to be any good.  Matteau is having a decent first season as a pro given that he's 19.  Santini is having a terrific year at BC - someone at BC claims that he's moved from the 3rd pairing to the 1st, and he's a freshman.

Cammalleri would be a very good fit on Jagr's LW.  I'm not sure how many teams out there have this sort of hole and think that Cammalleri can fill it.  I'd trade this year's 2nd or next year's 2nd and Reece Scarlett, that'd be as high as I go and even that I think is pretty high given that most teams will need a salary pickup on Cammalleri and may not even like him much anyway.  There's Vanek and Moulson out there too - LW isn't exactly a super high demand position at this deadline.

There are dozens more Matteau's to be had in this draft. He doesn't have 30 goal potential, he doesn't have high end offensive skills. Not particularly good with the puck. Drafts are teeming with guys like that from the lower portion of the 1st round through the fourth round. He can be another Clarkson maybe...who we can do with, or without. Losing him isn't especially painful

We have Merrill and Gelinas with Severson in the wings. There will be another draft this year to draft another defenseman. We can part with Santini. No great tragedy. We should've taken Petan with that pick anyway

Edited by '7'

There are dozens more Matteau's to be had in this draft. He doesn't have 30 goal potential, he doesn't have high end offensive skills. Not particularly good with the puck. Drafts are teeming with guys like that from the lower portion of the 1st round through the fourth round. He can be another Clarkson maybe...who we can do with, or without. Losing him isn't especially painful

We have Merrill and Gelinas with Severson in the wings. There will be another draft this year to draft another defenseman. We can part with Santini. No great tragedy. We should've taken Petan with that pick anyway

Not many players consistently score 30 goals. Matteau can give you 20, is strong on the puck, a great forechecker and is a bull. Tri is right, teams go nuts about these sort of players

We can part with Santini. No great tragedy. We should've taken Petan with that pick anyway

The fact that Lou used the team's first draft pick on a defenseman, when he said that it "didn't take a rocket scientist" to know that the Devils needed young scorers, would seem to tell you that management is very high on him.  And he's exceeded expectations.  I'm not against trading anyone if the price is right, but you can't just give up on someone that good for a so-so rental and just say, well we have enough defensemen anyway, so no big loss. 

The fact that Lou used the team's first draft pick on a defenseman, when he said that it "didn't take a rocket scientist" to know that the Devils needed young scorers, would seem to tell you that management is very high on him.  And he's exceeded expectations.  I'm not against trading anyone if the price is right, but you can't just give up on someone that good for a so-so rental and just say, well we have enough defensemen anyway, so no big loss. 

Or he could Lance Ward it all over again. 

I think you're underselling both Matteau and Santini.  Both are having nice seasons and that extra information from after they were drafted let's us known there likely aren't 20 or 30(I found the term teeming to represent this number) of these guys in each draft.

You're effectively saying you'd trade Matteau and Santini for a 2nd and 4th rounder right now, which would be a crazy bad use of resources as those guys, so far, are panning out rather than fizzling out, when most draft picks fizzle.

I agree that you can part with either in the right deal, but saying that they're a dime a dozen is ignoring what they've done since they were drafted or ignoring how many drafted players go on downward slides after being drafted.

Devils already don't have their first-rounder, not sure I'd want to give up what looks to be roughly a mid-second for a rental that doesn't look like a strong bet to really help.  Not thrilled about moving next year's second either, but I'm a little more open to that I guess. 

Here are Mike Cammalleri's most common linemates this year:  Lee Stempniak, Matt Stajan, Mikael Backlund, Joe Colborne, Jiri Hudler, Sean Monahan.  Meanwhile you have Dainius Zubrus on the top line where he's helping fish pucks out of corners but is really not doing much else - I think Cammalleri would help a great deal.  Let Zajac and Jagr fish pucks out of the corners and feed them to Cammalleri.

Or he could Lance Ward it all over again. 

Or he could be Adam Foote.  Or Larsson could be Thomas Hickey, or Severson could be Matt Corrente, or Merrill could be Mike Van Ryn, who knows. 

I'd rather take a chance that Santini never sees the NHL than to give up on him for someone that's not so great, and where it's 50/50 you don't make the playoffs. 

Or he could be Adam Foote.  Or Larsson could be Thomas Hickey, or Severson could be Matt Corrente, or Merrill could be Mike Van Ryn, who knows. 

I'd rather take a chance that Santini never sees the NHL than to give up on him for someone that's not so great, and where it's 50/50 you don't make the playoffs. 

I just don't have the same reverence and trust in Lou when it comes to picking young talent. Remember Josefson was supposed to be this great two way player in the mold of what Frans Nielsen is now. He busted on that pick as well.

They are not dime a dozen prospects. Teams go nuts for these sorts of players when they turn out to be any good. Matteau is having a decent first season as a pro given that he's 19. Santini is having a terrific year at BC - someone at BC claims that he's moved from the 3rd pairing to the 1st, and he's a freshman.

Cammalleri would be a very good fit on Jagr's LW. I'm not sure how many teams out there have this sort of hole and think that Cammalleri can fill it. I'd trade this year's 2nd or next year's 2nd and Reece Scarlett, that'd be as high as I go and even that I think is pretty high given that most teams will need a salary pickup on Cammalleri and may not even like him much anyway. There's Vanek and Moulson out there too - LW isn't exactly a super high demand position at this deadline.

You and I are starting to agree more and more again finally.

I just don't have the same reverence and trust in Lou when it comes to picking young talent. Remember Josefson was supposed to be this great two way player in the mold of what Frans Nielsen is now. He busted on that pick as well.

It would be one thing if Santinni were in and out of the lineup and getting not a lot of minutes when he was playing.  Kind of like what it seemed the situation that Ranger prospect, Brady Skej, was in his Freshman year at Minnesota (and he's actually improved a lot his sophomore year).  But it seems that no matter who you ask, he's playing very well as a freshman at BC.  Matteau is a very young AHLer who is putting up pretty similar numbers to Zemgus Girgensons. 

Again, if the right deal comes around, that's fine.  You don't just give them away, which is what you'd be doing for maybe two months of Mike Cammialerri.

And Josefson looked like a pretty good player until he got hurt and also got put in the doghouse.  He'll still be an NHLer, just not an above average one.  There's uncertainty with draft picks.  Look at a guy like Matteau - people compared him to Tyler Biggs.  Well, Biggs is a year older and currently has 8 points in the AHL - he's a bust.  Meanwhile Matteau's doing just fine in the AHL, and he was no slouch in the NHL either - there's lots of work to be done there, but he's got a lot of positive attributes.  You can't just say 'Lou drafted this guy so he's good/bad' - have to look at how he's developing too.  There's a lot of distance between the draft and the NHL for anyone outside the top 10 picks.

I don't know what to think. You gotta give up something to get something. I think my problem is I want a new Parise or a Kovalchuk, A-list star - and for that I am willing to give up a ton of stuff. If we had a lot of assets, I'd say sure let's throw something for Cammeleri he's the missing piece. I'm just not even sure Cammeleri is going to help considerably down the line.

I'm conflicted.

And Josefson looked like a pretty good player until he got hurt and also got put in the doghouse.  He'll still be an NHLer, just not an above average one.  There's uncertainty with draft picks.  Look at a guy like Matteau - people compared him to Tyler Biggs.  Well, Biggs is a year older and currently has 8 points in the AHL - he's a bust.  Meanwhile Matteau's doing just fine in the AHL, and he was no slouch in the NHL either - there's lots of work to be done there, but he's got a lot of positive attributes.  You can't just say 'Lou drafted this guy so he's good/bad' - have to look at how he's developing too.  There's a lot of distance between the draft and the NHL for anyone outside the top 10 picks.

To this point,  the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts are looking like early successes for unearthing NHL Games played. After a bad decade of drafts (in terms of NHL games played 2001, 2002 [besides CAM JAM!!], 2006, and 2007 were complete whiffs) these last drafts look like they have some consistant NHLers in them. IMO the key to staying a playoff team is consistantly finding 1 or 2 NHLers year after year more so than finding the occassional grand slam pick and the Devils seem to be getting back to a pattern of doing that. OBP> HR's.

It's unbelievably ignorant to call Matteau and Santini dime-a-dozen prospects, when they pan out you're looking at guys like Dan Girardi and Chris Stewart, who wouldn't want guys like that on their team?

right, I'm sure. When can we expect to see Blake Coleman and Mike Hoeffel here?

Every team has similar prospects. 

There is a scenario you know where we sit on these guys, they bust, we lose an opportunity to gain a good player via trade...and miss the playoffs. Everybody seems so convinced these guys are the goods that they seem to forget even bigger prospects we've had who've busted.

There is a scenario you know where we sit on these guys, they bust, we lose an opportunity to gain a good player via trade...and miss the playoffs. Everybody seems so convinced these guys are the goods that they seem to forget even bigger prospects we've had who've busted.

Neither of those guys were holding their own in the NHL at 18, or moving from 3rd pairing to 1st pairing as a college freshman.

We are so weak at forward prospect wise that Matteau is thought of as this untouchable guy when really he ends up 3rd or 4th on other teams depth charts. This guy is not Ryan Strome or Grigorenko

Santini is expendable because we are very well set at D.

Edited by '7'

We are so weak at forward prospect wise that Matteau is thought of as this untouchable guy when really he ends up 3rd or 4th on other teams depth charts.

Santini is expendable because we are very well set at D.

They are not "untouchable".  I don't know how you interpret anyone as saying that.  What everyone else is saying is that you can't throw them away in trades for mediocre rentals.  And no, we're not getting Sydney Crosby for them either.  But there are a lot options in between.

And again, both Santini and Matteau are playing well since they've been drafted.  Hoeffel and Burlon didn't show nearly as much after being drafted.  That's the difference.

I have no problem moving any of our prospects so long as it's for the right price- a guy like cammalleri while an upgrade hardly guarantees a playoff spot. If we move santini for him and we miss the playoffs it would be terrible. If you're talking a higher caliber player or a player with term left then sure id consider it but if it's for a guy like cammalleri or gaborik id rather just package a pick and a lesser prospect, and if that's not enough then pass.

I don't know what to think. You gotta give up something to get something. I think my problem is I want a new Parise or a Kovalchuk, A-list star - and for that I am willing to give up a ton of stuff. If we had a lot of assets, I'd say sure let's throw something for Cammeleri he's the missing piece. I'm just not even sure Cammeleri is going to help considerably down the line.

I'm conflicted.

Down the line meaning next year?  I mean, I'm penciling in Reid Boucher into Cammalleri's spot - they're similar types of players and Cammalleri is going to demand at least a 2 year deal.  

The assets NJ has are mostly too big for a Cammalleri deal.  You don't give up players in this kind of deal anymore, it isn't 2000.  You give up picks because picks have more uncertainty than NHL prospects and teams need their prospects.  Matteau for Cammalleri would be a galling overpay.  Now if NJ got back Calgary's 2nd round pick in 2015 and added another prospect (Scarlett, e.g.), then maybe you have something, but I doubt Calgary does that.

The other thing I'd like for NJ to do is poke around in some of these young guys who can't get a shot with their current team - Jeremy Morin, Brett Connolly, and there's a couple others who are becoming waiver-eligible next year who don't look like they'll have a spot on that team. 

I'm not that high on Cammalleri so if the Devils do get him I hope it's not for too much. I'd honestly be fine if Lou didn't make any moves.

Devils already don't have their first-rounder, not sure I'd want to give up what looks to be roughly a mid-second for a rental that doesn't look like a strong bet to really help.  Not thrilled about moving next year's second either, but I'm a little more open to that I guess. 

This draft doesn't seem that great from what I've been reading all year but it's worth noting that if the Devils move their 2nd round pick, then they'd only have a 3rd, 5th, and two 6th's.

I'm not that high on Cammalleri so if the Devils do get him I hope it's not for too much. I'd honestly be fine if Lou didn't make any moves.

This draft doesn't seem that great from what I've been reading all year but it's worth noting that if the Devils move their 2nd round pick, then they'd only have a 3rd, 5th, and two 6th's.

That's a little scary, re: the picks.  Yeah, I'm in the same boat, just not terribly high on Cammalleri.  I definitely understand GMs rolling the dice on occasion, but this just feels like a gamble that wouldn't pay off that much.   

I'm not that high on Cammalleri so if the Devils do get him I hope it's not for too much. I'd honestly be fine if Lou didn't make any moves.

yeah I don't see how cammalleri is a significant improvement on what we have, and it would only be for 20 games. Honestly I really don't think that's the guy conte was there for (maybe he was just in the area and wanted to catch a game?)

But with draft picks- wouldn't you say it's usually easy to put together a package on draft day to move up if theres someone sitting there in the 2nd round that Lou feels is a steal? I'm not looking to move any picks but it's not like they can't be recouped through offseason deals...