1333 replies to this topic

#161 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

I'm cool giving up a mid-round pick and one of the defensemen not named Gelinas, Merrill, Greene, or Larsson for Cammalleri. However, if Lou trades any one of those four in a deal where Cammalleri is the centerpiece, I will lose it.

Severson and Santini better be kept out of any Cammalleri deal as well.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#162 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

Why is everyone assuming the Flames?  I mean, yeah, that'd be the more likely team, but the Kings have got a bit of an overload at RW too with Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, and Tyler Toffoli.  They've got a ways to go - Pearson isn't waiver eligible for another year, but Toffoli's NHL ready now and Vey is waiver-eligible next year.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#163 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hemksy would be an upgrade over Brunner.  And I like Brunner, but Hemsky is very talented.  His points won't blow you away, but he's been mostly used in a checking role. He's also not bad defensively.  Boyes would be a nice upgrade over Bernier.  If Lou can get Hemsky and Boyes, I'd be happy.

Why is everyone assuming the Flames?  I mean, yeah, that'd be the more likely team, but the Kings have got a bit of an overload at RW too with Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, and Tyler Toffoli.  They've got a ways to go - Pearson isn't waiver eligible for another year, but Toffoli's NHL ready now and Vey is waiver-eligible next year.  

I like Toffoli.  Kings fans are mad at Sutter for not playing him on the first line more.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#164 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

If we ever even talked trade with Calgary you KNOW Burke would want Matteau or Santini, one of our truculent players :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#165 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

Yeah it's serious if Conte is there.

Potentially exciting few days ahead of us!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#166 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

If we ever even talked trade with Calgary you KNOW Burke would want Matteau or Santini, one of our truculent players :P

All kidding aside, if there's a prospect that might be untouchable, I think it's Santini. In part because of circumstances in that he couldn't land another very good NHL player on his own, unlike Larsson. I also really think that Lou believes he'll be the future captain of the team, not to mention that he's really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 28 February 2014 - 12:20 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#167 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

I wouldn't hesitate in giving up either...just not both. You gotta give to get sometimes

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#168 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

I wouldn't hesitate in giving up either...just not both. You gotta give to get sometimes

For Mike Cammelleri? He isn't good. This is why it is great to be a seller. You'll actually get something decent for him.

I have said quite a few teams I don't want the Devils to do a thing, especially for not any UFAs to be.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#169 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

Posted Image

#170 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

Why is everyone assuming the Flames? I mean, yeah, that'd be the more likely team, but the Kings have got a bit of an overload at RW too with Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, and Tyler Toffoli. They've got a ways to go - Pearson isn't waiver eligible for another year, but Toffoli's NHL ready now and Vey is waiver-eligible next year.

That's my hope and there's just as much rapport between Lou and Lombardi as there is with Lou and Burke.

To me sending Conte suggests some follow up on a guy the Devils liked in the drafting 0process recently.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#171 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:38 AM

That would be horrific. Cammalleri really isn't that good and it seems every team he goes to wants to get rid of him after a year or two.

I love Santinis potential and Matteau is a piece you give up for a cost controlled younger talent who can be here for awhile. Not some scrub rental.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#172 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

I already mentioned it but i really don't want Cammalleri, he's absolutely not a Devils kind of player. Extremely selfish and can be a cancer in a locker room. He has one hell of a shot and can score in SO sure but still, if we're getting someone id like to see someone that we could at least try to resign next season and i really dont want that guy. I absolutely can't stand the guy.

www.SterioDesign.com

#173 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Bringing Cammalleri in (assuming the price is low...not sure why Calgary thinks a guy who's been a -39 over the last two seasons would fetch a big return) would be a bit like Steve Sullivan Part 2 to me...it would feel like a lukewarm endorsement of this team on Lou's part.  Kind of a "what the hell, maybe he helps" kind of move, but I don't see the current version of Cammalleri really making much of a difference here.  It feels like it'd be adding a new body for the sake of doing so. 

Assuming this is what SD is referring to, regarding Cammalleri's past:

http://thecheckingli...malleri-calgary

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#174 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

The Flames have not much trade bait. I think Burke is going to fleece some desperate team for Mike Cammalleri. It really better not be the Devils.

I saw a tweet from dreger that said Burke admitted it's unlikely that they re-sign camilleri, so I think that hurts his leverage a bit. I think it really will depend on what other wingers are available. If moulson vanek and gaborik are and the asking price is a first minimum, I'm not sure how camilleri commands a first as well.

Idk I guess what I'm saying is it seems like a buyers market for forwards this year since there are a few guys available...

Edited by dmann422, 28 February 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#175 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

That would be horrific. Cammalleri really isn't that good and it seems every team he goes to wants to get rid of him after a year or two.

I love Santinis potential and Matteau is a piece you give up for a cost controlled younger talent who can be here for awhile. Not some scrub rental.

Both Santini and Matteau are dime a dozen prospects with little offensive upside. But they're also the best movable chips we have considering the sorry state of our prospects in general. If you're going to hang on to them, then there is no trade to be made at the deadline

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#176 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Both Santini and Matteau are dime a dozen prospects with little offensive upside. But they're also the best movable chips we have considering the sorry state of our prospects in general. If you're going to hang on to them, then there is no trade to be made at the deadline

They are not dime a dozen prospects.  Teams go nuts for these sorts of players when they turn out to be any good.  Matteau is having a decent first season as a pro given that he's 19.  Santini is having a terrific year at BC - someone at BC claims that he's moved from the 3rd pairing to the 1st, and he's a freshman.

Cammalleri would be a very good fit on Jagr's LW.  I'm not sure how many teams out there have this sort of hole and think that Cammalleri can fill it.  I'd trade this year's 2nd or next year's 2nd and Reece Scarlett, that'd be as high as I go and even that I think is pretty high given that most teams will need a salary pickup on Cammalleri and may not even like him much anyway.  There's Vanek and Moulson out there too - LW isn't exactly a super high demand position at this deadline.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#177 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

They are not dime a dozen prospects.  Teams go nuts for these sorts of players when they turn out to be any good.  Matteau is having a decent first season as a pro given that he's 19.  Santini is having a terrific year at BC - someone at BC claims that he's moved from the 3rd pairing to the 1st, and he's a freshman.

Cammalleri would be a very good fit on Jagr's LW.  I'm not sure how many teams out there have this sort of hole and think that Cammalleri can fill it.  I'd trade this year's 2nd or next year's 2nd and Reece Scarlett, that'd be as high as I go and even that I think is pretty high given that most teams will need a salary pickup on Cammalleri and may not even like him much anyway.  There's Vanek and Moulson out there too - LW isn't exactly a super high demand position at this deadline.

Devils already don't have their first-rounder, not sure I'd want to give up what looks to be roughly a mid-second for a rental that doesn't look like a strong bet to really help.  Not thrilled about moving next year's second either, but I'm a little more open to that I guess. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#178 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

There are dozens more Matteau's to be had in this draft. He doesn't have 30 goal potential, he doesn't have high end offensive skills. Not particularly good with the puck. Drafts are teeming with guys like that from the lower portion of the 1st round through the fourth round. He can be another Clarkson maybe...who we can do with, or without. Losing him isn't especially painful

We have Merrill and Gelinas with Severson in the wings. There will be another draft this year to draft another defenseman. We can part with Santini. No great tragedy. We should've taken Petan with that pick anyway

Edited by '7', 28 February 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#179 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

There are dozens more Matteau's to be had in this draft. He doesn't have 30 goal potential, he doesn't have high end offensive skills. Not particularly good with the puck. Drafts are teeming with guys like that from the lower portion of the 1st round through the fourth round. He can be another Clarkson maybe...who we can do with, or without. Losing him isn't especially painful

We have Merrill and Gelinas with Severson in the wings. There will be another draft this year to draft another defenseman. We can part with Santini. No great tragedy. We should've taken Petan with that pick anyway

Not many players consistently score 30 goals. Matteau can give you 20, is strong on the puck, a great forechecker and is a bull. Tri is right, teams go nuts about these sort of players

#180 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

We can part with Santini. No great tragedy. We should've taken Petan with that pick anyway

The fact that Lou used the team's first draft pick on a defenseman, when he said that it "didn't take a rocket scientist" to know that the Devils needed young scorers, would seem to tell you that management is very high on him.  And he's exceeded expectations.  I'm not against trading anyone if the price is right, but you can't just give up on someone that good for a so-so rental and just say, well we have enough defensemen anyway, so no big loss. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users