29 replies to this topic

#21 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Most people who have "cut the cord" from cable or satellite are NOT sports fans.  It's great if you can cut the cord and save money, but probably 99% of sports telecasts are on pay TV channels.  If you're just a hockey fan, you can still watch through GameCenter, but good luck in the playoffs when the only over-the-air televised games are weekends on NBC and 2 or 3 SCF games.

I've sampled GameCenter, but the quality is nowhere near what you get through Center Ice on DirecTV.  Center Ice through Comcast is a complete joke, you're lucky if you get 2 HD games a night.  Plus they share channels with MLB Extra Innings.

I'll gladly stick to satellite and SlingBox, which lets me watch anything when I'm not home from my computer, tablet or phone (live TV, DVR, etc).

#22 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Most people who have "cut the cord" from cable or satellite are NOT sports fans.  It's great if you can cut the cord and save money, but probably 99% of sports telecasts are on pay TV channels.  If you're just a hockey fan, you can still watch through GameCenter, but good luck in the playoffs when the only over-the-air televised games are weekends on NBC and 2 or 3 SCF games.

I've sampled GameCenter, but the quality is nowhere near what you get through Center Ice on DirecTV.  Center Ice through Comcast is a complete joke, you're lucky if you get 2 HD games a night.  Plus they share channels with MLB Extra Innings.

I'll gladly stick to satellite and SlingBox, which lets me watch anything when I'm not home from my computer, tablet or phone (live TV, DVR, etc).

The quality through gamecenter is HD. I will have to figure out what I will do for the playoffs if the Devils make it.  Last year was my first year with out cable and I was fine with the feeds I found or watching games a day later (since the playoff games will be on gamecenter the next day.)  But I am not really a big sports fan outside of hockey.

#23 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

I had it. This was two years ago though. Nonetheless, it was generally useful but also had a whole slew of glitches and issues that arose every so often. What was nice was that often times if I didn't get around to watching until late at night, I could see the game on rerun instantly (sometimes they had already archived it though - in which case you had to wait until 24 hours after the game to see it...don't know how it works now though). Then the playoffs came and I couldn't see any games because of blackout restrictions.

Taking these reasons into account along with the fact that sites like atdhe.tv are good enough, I cannot recommend buying Gamecenter, there is little to no point, unless you desperately need high quality (and the game was only HQ for me half the time on my pretty decent internet connection). Additionally, you get enough highlights and replay footage for free on NHL.com, so unless you really want to watch full replays of games, you should not buy it.

Also, you didn't note in the OP if you are in the local market or not. If you are, you won't be able to see any Devils, Rangers, or Islander games on Gamecenter anyways.

All playoff games are nationally televised.  So you shouldn't need GameCenter.  It sucks only if you don't have access to a TV.

Not entirely true for the early rounds.

Edited by Neb00rs, 27 February 2014 - 10:01 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#24 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Not entirely true for the early rounds.

Yes it is.  Every single playoff game is on national television.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#25 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

Yes it is.  Every single playoff game is on national television.

Not entirely true. NBCSN (and CNBC to an extent) while in a majority of households, is still not available to about 30% of the nation's households. 

And I am not sure about NHL network, but its probably the lowest of the four.

Edited by Neb00rs, 28 February 2014 - 12:12 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#26 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

Not entirely true. NBCSN (and CNBC to an extent) while in a majority of households, is still not available to about 30% of the nation's households. 

And I am not sure about NHL network, but its probably the lowest of the four.

Oh I get what you mean.  But that's a different point than what I was making.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#27 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

Free online streams. I live in Philly and never miss a game.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#28 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

I got GCL, like it a lot. Obviously no games are blacked out for me.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#29 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

GCL does include playoffs. Obviously doesn't help if you're in North America, however in an overseas market, get every single playoff game included, which is great.

Been using it for 4 years now (previous to that was relying on illegal methods). No complaints. There's the occasional hiccup or service outage, but generally speaking runs very well.

I have 100mbit Cable, and streams in HD quality for NHL, NFL, and MLB, so it's really great.

Everyone else has pretty much said everything else.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#30 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'll leave this here :whistling:

http://www.reddit.co..._get_vlc_links/

Basically GCL

Let's Go Devils!