136 replies to this topic

#121 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

I'll take that if the 3-0 shutout if that guarantees he gets traded. Otherwise, I am hoping for a 6-5 win where Brodeur is awful, and Schneider starts every game for the rest of the season. 

Bring me Wallace. Alive if possible. Dead...Just as good.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#122 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'll take that if the 3-0 shutout if that guarantees he gets traded. Otherwise, I am hoping for a 6-5 win where Brodeur is awful, and Schneider starts every game for the rest of the season.

You know that's not happening though. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#123 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

If Lou wants to get him signed after this season, he probably has to go max term.  Hard to think Cory wouldn't get a max-year offer somewhere else, and all he would have to do to get it would be to wait one year.  If Lou gives Cory a max-year offer with terrific per-year terms and Cory still turns it down, not sure what Lou does there.   

Ok i'm curious...

Let's sayyyyyyy Lou offers Cory a long-term fair deal this summer and that he turns it down. Now let's say you're Lou, what do you do?

1- See if you can trade him and figure out another option in net ASAP before it's too late.

2- Wait 'til the trade deadline to see where the team is and retry negotiations with him.

3- Wait til after the season hoping he'll simply resign

If there's any other options feel free to share.

www.SterioDesign.com

#124 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Depending on the unwillingness to sign and amount of money/terms offered, if Lou has a bad feeling about it, trade him and find a way to get Cam Ward.

Edited by DJ Eco, 28 February 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#125 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ok i'm curious...

Let's sayyyyyyy Lou offers Cory a long-term fair deal this summer and that he turns it down. Now let's say you're Lou, what do you do?

1- See if you can trade him and figure out another option in net ASAP before it's too late.
2- Wait 'til the trade deadline to see where the team is and retry negotiations with him.

I don't know what others think and I don't think there's a "right" answer but if he turns down a 6 year/50 (honestly I'd be surprised if he does unless he really hates it here for some reason) I'd be willing to go to closer to 7/58 or whatever the lunquist deal was. Honestly he might not be worth that but he's that important to our future.

If he turns down lunquist money then you know he's definitely gone- I'd then be willing to move him whenever we get the best deal and either bring back a goalie in a trade or sign one via ufa. But honestly I really think that now he's clearly the starter he probably gets re-signed.

#126 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Ok i'm curious...

2a- Go for it all in 2014-15, say fvck it and keep Cory, make a couple of right-now type moves (especially if Jagr re-signs, and let's face it, Elias isn't getting any younger).  If those moves don't work out (sometimes teams built to win in the short-term don't jell at all), you can still move him before the deadline.  Do I necessarily agree with this option 100%?  No, but this option does exist.  It's definitely a "push every last chip into the center of the table" mentality, and it's risky as hell, and it could blow up monumentally. 

If Cory insists on testing UFA with Lou offering what is likely to be his best offer, I think Cory's probably gone after the season.  I'm really hoping Lou gets Cory to stay this offseason.  Option B, whatever it would be, would probably be very hard to take.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#127 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Maybe Cory just feels that the team and the roster around him's not good enough?.... Who knows, maybe a few UFA signings in July are the best way to let him know we want to build a team around him, and sign him long-term...

#128 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

There is zero reason to be signing goalies to 7 or 8 year deals, especially at 7 or 8 per year. Just look at LA and Anaheim. They have more goalies than they know what to do with. The number of elite goalies worldwide will only increase with the sports popularity.

At least for Lou, CS doesn't have a long history in the NHL,say compared to someone like the Queen,which may help keep the dollars down.

#129 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

There is zero reason to be signing goalies to 7 or 8 year deals, especially at 7 or 8 per year. Just look at LA and Anaheim. They have more goalies than they know what to do with. The number of elite goalies worldwide will only increase with the sports popularity.
At least for Lou, CS doesn't have a long history in the NHL,say compared to someone like the Queen,which may help keep the dollars down.

this may be true, but moving forward this team is going to be built on goaltending and defense. I would be willing to overpay (to an extent) for a sure thing goalie like Cory. Anyone willing to accept 2-3 year deals in ufa means they're coming with question marks.

#130 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,577 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

NJ's had 20+ years to draft another even NHL average goalie after Brodeur, and they have not done it.  And it's not like they have avoided drafted goalies - they've taken 2 guys in the 1st round and some in the 2nd and 3rd round too.  If NJ had a goalie in their system who looked good, great - they don't.  Kinkaid looks like he might be a backup.  Wedgewood has had 2 pro seasons and doesn't look like a starter at all.  

If you have an elite goalie it's worth signing him long-term because he can still provide amazing value.  Jon Quick had one season of elite play, that was the Kings' mistake.

Edited by Triumph, 28 February 2014 - 07:50 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#131 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

NJ's had 20+ years to draft another even NHL average goalie after Brodeur, and they have not done it.  And it's not like they have avoided drafted goalies - they've taken 2 guys in the 1st round and some in the 2nd and 3rd round too.  If NJ had a goalie in their system who looked good, great - they don't.  Kinkaid looks like he might be a backup.  Wedgewood has had 2 pro seasons and doesn't look like a starter at all.  

If you have an elite goalie it's worth signing him long-term because he can still provide amazing value.  Jon Quick had one season of elite play, that was the Kings' mistake.

And Schneider's never *not* been elite since he's been in the league, so it's probably safer (though anyone would've signed Quick to that after that year)

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#132 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

I would make sure close out a long term deal with Cory and bring up Kikaid. I really like the kids composure. I thought that might be plan with Marty...was thinking that it was going to be Marty for 2 years while mentoring Kinkaid as backup. Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin, 28 February 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#133 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

And Schneider's never *not* been elite since he's been in the league, so it's probably safer (though anyone would've signed Quick to that after that year)

He's played 131 games in the league to date. How will he fair playing 60+ a season for year after year? Can't say as there isn't a track record right? I think it is much more imperative to have goal scorers than spending the farm on a keeper, especially the way they let guys drive the net now. Just to be clear I think CS is a great tender, but I don't think giving 8 year deals is a smart move, but of course that probably will be another GM's problem anyway.

#134 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

Ok i'm curious...

You offer him more money. His value to this team is stupendous.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#135 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

As someone else said, he's still relatively unproven.. Less than 200 games played. He's sure looked good this year, but it's still a gamble offering him a huge multi-year contract.

Oh, and for what it's worth, his playoff numbers aren't very good. Could just be because of the circumstances in Vancouver but still.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118, 01 March 2014 - 10:24 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#136 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

As someone else said, he's still relatively unproven.. Less than 200 games played. He's sure looked good this year, but it's still a gamble offering him a huge multi-year contract. Oh, and for what it's worth, his playoff numbers aren't very good. Could just be because of the circumstances in Vancouver but still. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

.920 save percentage in the playoffs is very good. He can't score

#137 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

good game for the czechs

3 stars had it right on this one

elias jagr and henrique

hell zidlicky could have been fourth star