67 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

I don't understand why 700's so important, it's just a round number.  Marty already leads in wins by a mile.  I prefer to believe it's an honest wanting to play until they drag him out type thing.

In fairness, the only people I've ever heard bring up 700 wins are fans speculating why Marty still wants to play.  I've never heard Marty himself mention anything about 700 wins meaning anything to him.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Here's my feelings on the situation. If Marty came out and said, "Hey, look, I'm done after this season," then I'd keep him as a backup and let him retire as a Devil. But the fact that he's unhappy and seems to be heavily leaning towards playing again next season is significant and the Devils can NOT re-sign him. They just can't. It would be so utterly counter-productive and I have no faith that Pete (who I think will be back) won't fvck it up if Marty comes back. With that being said, trade him instead of letting him walk for nothing because either way it seems he won't finish his career in this jersey. I've made my peace with it.

Edited by PWW, 01 March 2014 - 08:52 PM.

oKCiNj.jpg

#23 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

In a perfect world, Marty retires in June as a Devil. We don't live in that world. I've said it before, but Marty's greatest strength in his prime was his supreme confidence. Now that he's not the best (by a long shot), that confidence becomes a detriment. I'm hoping against hope that someone gets through to Marty and he retires as a Devil, with some dignity, so everyone remembers him as the GOAT rather than just another guy who hung on for too long. If he leaves, so be it, and I'll wish him the best wherever he goes, as long as it doesn't hurt the Devils, but the guy who gave up money for the Devils should get to retire as a career Devil, especially considering the odds on him playing well as a starter for someone else are low at this point.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#24 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

Here's my feelings on the situation. If Marty came out and said, "Hey, look, I'm done after this season," then I'd keep him as a backup and let him retire as a Devil. But the fact that he's unhappy and seems to be heavily leaning towards playing again next season is significant and the Devils can NOT re-sign him. They just can't. It would be so utterly counter-productive and I have no faith that Pete (who I think will be back) won't fvck it up if Marty comes back. With that being said, trade him instead of letting him walk for nothing because either way it seems he won't finish his career in this jersey. I've made my peace with it.

perfect post. well for me. 

#25 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,637 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Listen, I don't want Marty to leave either but we have to deal with the facts: he has pretty much made it clear that he wants playing time and will go wherever he needs to go to get it. There's a chance he stays past the trade deadline this year but it's more than likely he will be in another jersey next year, unless he has an enormous change of heart. Also, I don't believe for a second 700 is the reason Brodeur is still playing. It is important to him, but isn't that big of a deal when compared to his desire to play hockey. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#26 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

It doesn't seem like there is any benefit to the Devils in trading him though. If we trade him, are we getting back a goalie of equal (or greater) value? Certainly not. That means Kinkaid gets thrust into the backup role. God forbid Schneider pulls something we might be stuck with Kinkaid for 4-5 games. I know I've been hard on Marty, but just about anybody else would rather have him than some unproven AHL guy

How stupid would it look to see Martin Brodeur in a Calgary Flames uniform playing out the meaningless string while the Devils make the playoffs. It's going to be absurdly obvious that he forced his way out and would rather split time with a loser than stay on as an elder statesman backup for a winner. Woohoo, I started 4 more games than I would've had I stayed in Jersey. This makes packing up my life and trekking up north so worth it

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#27 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

Whatever happens so be it.
I wish him the best.
I don't want him back next season it's not good for the team because he can't or won't adjust to a back up role.

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

It doesn't seem like there is any benefit to the Devils in trading him though. If we trade him, are we getting back a goalie of equal (or greater) value? Certainly not. That means Kinkaid gets thrust into the backup role. God forbid Schneider pulls something we might be stuck with Kinkaid for 4-5 games. I know I've been hard on Marty, but just about anybody else would rather have him than some unproven AHL guy

How stupid would it look to see Martin Brodeur in a Calgary Flames uniform playing out the meaningless string while the Devils make the playoffs. It's going to be absurdly obvious that he forced his way out and would rather split time with a loser than stay on as an elder statesman backup for a winner. Woohoo, I started 4 more games than I would've had I stayed in Jersey. This makes packing up my life and trekking up north so worth it

I really like Kinkaid, and I truly believe the kid can handle the pressure just fine imo.  I have nothing to base it on other than watching him though.  I can't get inside his head, and don't know for sure he can handle the pressure.  But I actually think the unrpoven goalie thing gets overblown imo.  I don't think a proven goalie is necessary to win in the playoffs or win a cup.  Again I have nothing to base my opinion on, but quite frankly I don't think there's much evidence to support the opposite either.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

I don't think it'll come to that, for the simple reason teams not in the playoffs have no reason to play 41-year old rental goalies.  But it is a bit disconcerting that Marty would leave the Devils after all this time just to get maybe five more games the rest of the year.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#30 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

I don't think it'll come to that, for the simple reason teams not in the playoffs have no reason to play 41-year old rental goalies. But it is a bit disconcerting that Marty would leave the Devils after all this time just to get maybe five more games the rest of the year.

Man, the guy just can't catch a break. He stays, he's a distraction. He goes, he's an ingrate that'll throw it all away for nothing important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#31 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

I don't think it'll come to that, for the simple reason teams not in the playoffs have no reason to play 41-year old rental goalies.  But it is a bit disconcerting that Marty would leave the Devils after all this time just to get maybe five more games the rest of the year.

Not as simple as that. It might have been discussed that Schneider will be the guy for pretty much most of the remaining games. Brodeur doesn't want to retire and feels he needs more games to prove he can get a job next season.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#32 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Man, the guy just can't catch a break. He stays, he's a distraction. He goes, he's an ingrate that'll throw it all away for nothing important.

I feel bad for Cory Schneider.  Can you imagine the pressure he'll be under?  Would you wanna be the guy that basically drove the living legend off the team he played 20 years with?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#33 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

According to Kevin Weekes, Brodeur has waived his NTC.

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

I never used the word ingrate...but let's face it he HAS been passively agressively asking for a trade since November on and off.  You wish more of these guys could be like Teemu and just play out the end of their career in peace instead of having an Alfie/St. Louis/Marty drama.  You're a Yankee fan, you mean to tell me you wouldn't be dismayed if Jeter started pulling this stuff and got himself traded?

Not as simple as that. It might have been discussed that Schneider will be the guy for pretty much most of the remaining games. Brodeur doesn't want to retire and feels he needs more games to prove he can get a job next season.

Unless he's literally getting two-three games the rest of the season (and I don't see the point in it being that low if we fall out of it), there isn't much of a difference between him being a backup here and him being a backup in Minnesota.  Now if he's going to be a backup in Montreal, that's different but probably unlikely.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 March 2014 - 12:59 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

On this site, hardly surprising.   I'll believe it when I see it, in the first place, it makes very little sense for any of the parties involved, him, the Devils, and the new team, unless he's getting some conditional 1/bad 2 type of deal that Jagr got last year, and that would be utterly cracktastic.

They look like they are going to attempt a run and playing Cory 21 consecutive times seems like a horrible idea.   Kinkaid couldn't get horrendous Moose out of the net, so you can forget about him actually playing.

#36 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

Clearly he intends on playing again next season and knows full well it won't be in NJ. He feels he has something left to give and if 1 of the 30 GMs in the NHL is willing to give him a shot, then good for him. I think this has now become more about next year than this. He probably feels he needs more PT this season to show he isn't finished to get the next contract for 2014-15.

I don't want to see Marty go, and it will definitely be weird to see him in another uniform. But this is Cory's team now and if Marty finds a situation where he gets what he is looking for and the Devils can pickup some assets, then so be it. I will hold no ill will toward Marty.
Posted Image

#37 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

On this site, hardly surprising.   I'll believe it when I see it, in the first place, it makes very little sense for any of the parties involved, him, the Devils, and the new team, unless he's getting some conditional 1/bad 2 type of deal that Jagr got last year, and that would be utterly cracktastic.

They look like they are going to attempt a run and playing Cory 21 consecutive times seems like a horrible idea.   Kinkaid couldn't get horrendous Moose out of the net, so you can forget about him actually playing.

Kinkaid couldn't get Hedberg out of the net had nothing to do with Kinkaid. At the end of the day, an AHL starter won't do much worse than a .900 save percentage goalie (Brodeur's exact percentage by the way).

I do think if the Devils trade Brodeur, they go try and find someone else with some NHL experience (don't really think that is neccessary, but this follows a pattern with Lou).

Anyway, the NTC report doesn't give us much ground breaking information. We knew Marty was very open to a deal, and probably told Lou some teams he'd be open to go. Hence the NTC being waived.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#38 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

He's been perfectly fine in his last two indoor games.   That Kinkaid couldn't get Moose out of the net means a ton.   The coach won't play him, which means Cory has to play every game for the rest of the season.   And they can't afford to PAY to move Marty out and then get a backup.   

#39 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

He's been perfectly fine in his last two indoor games.   That Kinkaid couldn't get Moose out of the net means a ton.   The coach won't play him, which means Cory has to play every game for the rest of the season.   And they can't afford to PAY to move Marty out and then get a backup.   

Why would you use a sample size of two games? We have the last 100+ regular season games. There's a good chance Pete doesn't give any Brodeur replacement, one with NHL experience or not, a chance when the playoffs are on the line.

I don't think Schneider ending the season starting 20+ games is such a bad thing. Deboer practically did the same with Brodeur over the last 30 games in 2012. The Devils are fighting like crazy for a playoff spot. Cory playing all the games gives them he best shot in my opinion.

#40 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

Why would you use a sample size of two games? We have the last 100+ regular season games. There's a good chance Pete doesn't give any Brodeur replacement, one with NHL experience or not, a chance when the playoffs are on the line.

I don't think Schneider ending the season starting 20+ games is such a bad thing. Deboer practically did the same with Brodeur over the last 30 games in 2012. The Devils are fighting like crazy for a playoff spot. Cory playing all the games gives them he best shot in my opinion.

I just think it's a big risk to roll him out there that much without a first round pick, because if something happens it goes right off the cliff.   I don't think it makes any sense on any front unless someone makes a really stupid offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users