67 replies to this topic

#41 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

If Marty goes to any other team it's gotta be for another NHL player. Picks, especially later round picks in the 14 draft, aren't worth it.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#42 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

If Marty goes to any other team it's gotta be for another NHL player. Picks, especially later round picks in the 14 draft, aren't worth it.

2015 draft is supposed to be much deeper.  I don't know what kind of roster player he could possibly bring back.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#43 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

I gotta agree with Satans Devils - selfishly, I don't want to see him in another sweater.

Is it really worth it? A couple more starts to do away with the "all with one team" thing?

I won't hold it against him, and it won't tarnish his legacy at all.. But he's still throwing away that very special accomplishment

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#44 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

Only way Marty should be traded is if what we get in return helps the Devils this season.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#45 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

Only way Marty should be traded is if what we get in return helps the Devils this season.

That's not how it works though, and you know it. Marty is the exception - you know Lou is shopping around looking for teams that will let him play. Not the one that gives the best offer necessarily.

Christ if he goes to Minnesota and we have to face both Parise and Marty this month..

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#46 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

I gotta agree with Satans Devils - selfishly, I don't want to see him in another sweater.

Is it really worth it? A couple more starts to do away with the "all with one team" thing?

I won't hold it against him, and it won't tarnish his legacy at all.. But he's still throwing away that very special accomplishment

I think all this talk of playing with one franchise gets overblown.  That being said, it is cool to look at this page right here (http://www.hockey-re...by=games_goalie), and not see a TOT next to his name.

That's not how it works though, and you know it. Marty is the exception - you know Lou is shopping around looking for teams that will let him play. Not the one that gives the best offer necessarily.

Christ if he goes to Minnesota and we have to face both Parise and Marty this month..

At least it will be over quickly with the pain of seeing him in another uniform.  We won't have to wait until the end of April or anything like that.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#47 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

I think all this talk of playing with one franchise gets overblown.  That being said, it is cool to look at this page right here (http://www.hockey-re...by=games_goalie), and not see a TOT next to his name.

At least it will be over quickly with the pain of seeing him in another uniform.  We won't have to wait until the end of April or anything like that.

I wouldn't have guessed Richter was #2 in the whole most games only played with one team.  And freaking Lundqvist is #4 lol...Ryan Miller was #5 but that's done with now.

I didn't realize Kolzig played anywhere else till I clicked his link...eight forgettable games with Tampa toward the end.  That's what Marty's end may look like too.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 March 2014 - 01:55 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:04 AM

The one team talk is silly. It's about identifying yourself with one team. Brodeur will always be able to do that. If a trade happens, no one is going to give much thought to Brodeur's career or accomplishments with any other team than the Devils.

You can't say the same for Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Ed Belfour, Glenn Hall, or Terry Sawchuk.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

Bobby Orr going to the Blackhawks totally destroyed his legacy with the Bruins. :glare:

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#50 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:12 AM

the guy has a fvcking 100 foot painting of himself on the concourse. i'm pretty sure he'll be remembered as nothing but a devil regardless of where he might finish this season and if he plays somewhere else next year

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#51 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

In fifteen years such myopic issues will not matter. Brodeur's career will be looked at in the big picture, and all those little moments will be forgotten by all but those few who lived it (such as those on this board). Football fans, new and old, do not remember Joe Montana as anything but a legendary Niner, (his stint with the Chiefs is nearly irrelevant). Not wanting Brodeur to leave is more of human obsessiveness and sentimentality in play. I myself am guilty of that insofar as I don't want to see Marty in another jersey - an issue that only has affect in the short term, or 'the now'. That kind of personal emotion is not enough to outweigh my logical mind, that says that Brodeur is better off leaving; as we will forget about this in a few years and Marty (who's life this involves) will be able to forever know that he played until they didn't let him. 

Sure if Marty went to the Rangers that would be different. But that's the whole point, Marty wouldn't go to the Rangers. Never. He'll always be a Devil no matter what. He has already played more games as a Devil than any other goalie has played in their whole career. He can spare a few extra games in Minnesota. In the end, me and all of you will only be slightly bothered if Marty leaves (i.e. we will still go to school, work, laugh, smile, cry, etc...). For Marty, this is his life and this decision affects only him. I'm okay with whatever he chooses.

Edited by Neb00rs, 02 March 2014 - 02:56 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#52 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:27 AM

My feelings are this:

- He has been  a part of a very special group that took the Devils to magical places and helped lift the franchise to a winning history. He will never be forgotten nor will his accomplishments, the joy, and the memories. He will always hold a special place in Devils' organisation and fans' hearts.

- My issue is this: So close to the end of the season (and subsequently contract), it would be much easier to ride out of the sunset, be humble, and retire at the end of the season or sign somewhere else.

However, the organisation put the team first, acquired a new, younger, better goalie, as it does not take a genius to see Brodeur is fast approaching the end of the career, and without a great goalie, the team would be seriously diminished. We have been witness to the team putting Brodeur first on many occasions due to his stature and accomplishments, and I believe that by being put on the bench, Brodeur has taken it personally, and thus requested a trade, and leading up to this point, all the passive aggressive comments to media.

Selfish is the word that comes to mind. People seem to hate on Parise especially, because he acted on his freedom of UFA and signed somewhere else. Clarkson signed somewhere else during UFA too. This I don't have issue with nor hate the players.

I have issues with people like Kovalchuk who upped and left only a couple of years in to a long contract. Now Brodeur can not put the team first and is requesting a trade. To me, Brodeur is acting like a spoilt little child who is throwing a tantrum because they aren't getting their own way. It screams egotistical to me. It's a shame because of what he has meant to the organisation all these years. That's desertion and to me, I can't appreciate that at all.

It's not just how you come in, it's also how you leave, because that's the most recent memory of you that a person will remember. It's quite possible that Brodeur could leave a sour taste in some people's mouths.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#53 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

So the word is Marty waived his NTC. Lou would never ask Marty consider a trade. Lou would never ask Marty to waive his NTC without a done deal.  Marty had to have  requested a trade and a deal was worked out IMO.

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

I wouldn't have guessed Richter was #2 in the whole most games only played with one team.  And freaking Lundqvist is #4 lol...Ryan Miller was #5 but that's done with now.

I didn't realize Kolzig played anywhere else till I clicked his link...eight forgettable games with Tampa toward the end.  That's what Marty's end may look like too.

Tony Esposito played 873 games with the Blackhawks, after playing 13 games with the Canadiens when he first came up...even though he didn't play all of his games with one team, the 873 games ranks second in goalie games-played for a franchise.  Esposito is also second in goalie wins for a franchise (418).  Still illustrates nicely how amazing an accomplishment 1249 games with one team truly is...especially in this era, where we saw Hasek, Roy, and Belfour all play for multiple teams.  Cujo was one of those guys who managed to be pretty good for a long time (a compiler), but he never screamed "greatness" to me. 

With the length of his current contract and his numbers to date, Lundqvist is probably the only guy right now who has a shot at 500 wins and 1000 GP with one team...and as we all know, that can change very quickly. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#55 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

My feelings are this:

- He has been  a part of a very special group that took the Devils to magical places and helped lift the franchise to a winning history. He will never be forgotten nor will his accomplishments, the joy, and the memories. He will always hold a special place in Devils' organisation and fans' hearts.

- My issue is this: So close to the end of the season (and subsequently contract), it would be much easier to ride out of the sunset, be humble, and retire at the end of the season or sign somewhere else.

However, the organisation put the team first, acquired a new, younger, better goalie, as it does not take a genius to see Brodeur is fast approaching the end of the career, and without a great goalie, the team would be seriously diminished. We have been witness to the team putting Brodeur first on many occasions due to his stature and accomplishments, and I believe that by being put on the bench, Brodeur has taken it personally, and thus requested a trade, and leading up to this point, all the passive aggressive comments to media.

Selfish is the word that comes to mind. People seem to hate on Parise especially, because he acted on his freedom of UFA and signed somewhere else. Clarkson signed somewhere else during UFA too. This I don't have issue with nor hate the players.

I have issues with people like Kovalchuk who upped and left only a couple of years in to a long contract. Now Brodeur can not put the team first and is requesting a trade. To me, Brodeur is acting like a spoilt little child who is throwing a tantrum because they aren't getting their own way. It screams egotistical to me. It's a shame because of what he has meant to the organisation all these years. That's desertion and to me, I can't appreciate that at all.

It's not just how you come in, it's also how you leave, because that's the most recent memory of you that a person will remember. It's quite possible that Brodeur could leave a sour taste in some people's mouths.

You said it in your own post though, the Devils did what was best for them by acquiring Cory.  Marty's now doing what's best for him by asking for a trade, so I can't blame him for that any more than I can blame Lou for trading for Cory, though I do wish Marty'd kept quiet a bit more publicly.  Granted, I don't know what he'll really gain by switching backup roles but if he wants to play next year (which he obviously does) I suppose he wants every game he can get.

If he wasn't planning on playing next year I don't think there'd be this big to-do back and forth about him needing more playing time and having to be traded.

#56 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

You said it in your own post though, the Devils did what was best for them by acquiring Cory.  Marty's now doing what's best for him by asking for a trade, so I can't blame him for that any more than I can blame Lou for trading for Cory, though I do wish Marty'd kept quiet a bit more publicly.  Granted, I don't know what he'll really gain by switching backup roles but if he wants to play next year (which he obviously does) I suppose he wants every game he can get.

If he wasn't planning on playing next year I don't think there'd be this big to-do back and forth about him needing more playing time and having to be traded.

I think he knows he has no spot here next year and would like to go into the off season with a team that may re-sign him than go into free agency without knowing anything. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#57 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't want it to ever happen, even if he gets traded.  I suppose it will at some point if he's set on playing next year, but I'd rather put it off till then.  Especially since I can't get out of going to the Minnesota game later this month...I'd rather not be at the game or even watch it where he shows up in another uniform.

#58 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

In fairness, he's only ever really commented on his status when he's been asked.  For the most part, he's kept pretty quiet about it.  I think he's handled it as well as can be expected for a guy who clearly doesn't think of himself as a backup and still thinks he can be a consistently effective #1 (even if he's wrong about the last part). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#59 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

the guy has a fvcking 100 foot painting of himself on the concourse. i'm pretty sure he'll be remembered as nothing but a devil regardless of where he might finish this season and if he plays somewhere else next year

This, pretty much. I have zero problem with him playing the rest of the season (or the next one) in a different jersey. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#60 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Nobody remembers Willie Mays played for the Mets....

I love Marty as much as anybody.  He wants to go.  It's the right thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users