67 replies to this topic

#61 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Nobody remembers Willie Mays played for the Mets....

I love Marty as much as anybody.  He wants to go.  It's the right thing to do.

It's not, because he's washed up, or close to it. People don't remember Willie Mays as a Met; they remember him as a Giant. Plenty of people do remember Willie being bad for the Mets. If Marty was as good as Joe Montana was, I would support his leaving. He's not. Marty shouldn't play next year, for us or anyone. He has the right to do what he wants, and I'll feel no bitterness toward him for leaving, but for his own sake, he should play out the stretch with the Devils and retire at the end of the season.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#62 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

It's not, because he's washed up, or close to it. People don't remember Willie Mays as a Met; they remember him as a Giant. Plenty of people do remember Willie being bad for the Mets. If Marty was as good as Joe Montana was, I would support his leaving. He's not. Marty shouldn't play next year, for us or anyone. He has the right to do what he wants, and I'll feel no bitterness toward him for leaving, but for his own sake, he should play out the stretch with the Devils and retire at the end of the season.

Marty doesn't believe that he is washed up.  There is no reason to let all the good times get ugly by slapping him around and telling him how much he sucks now.  Just give the guy what he wants...  It'll save the Devils money and save their relationship with him.  Let him go to Minnesota where he can hang out with his kids and finish up the season. He'll be back in a leadership position soon enough.

#63 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Marty doesn't believe that he is washed up.  There is no reason to let all the good times get ugly by slapping him around and telling him how much he sucks now.  Just give the guy what he wants...  It'll save the Devils money and save their relationship with him.  Let him go to Minnesota where he can hang out with his kids and finish up the season. He'll be back in a leadership position soon enough.

I'm not saying the Devils shouldn't trade him, if that's what he wants. I'm just hoping no trade materializes, especially since no good can come out of him playing another season. I think if he doesn't get traded, no one signs him, and he eventually comes to terms with the fact that he's finished. Giving him another year won't change the inevitability of that. 

Edited by mouse, 02 March 2014 - 01:56 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#64 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

He's not better than any number one. At least he'll get some pity, sentimental starts here down the stretch. Where is he going to go?

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#65 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'm not saying the Devils shouldn't trade him, if that's what he wants. I'm just hoping no trade materializes, especially since no good can come out of him playing another season. I think if he doesn't get traded, no one signs him, and he eventually comes to terms with the fact that he's finished. Giving him another year won't change the inevitability of that. 

I think he has his eye on 700 wins and that is the big driving force behind this.  I definitely thinking he's playing next year.  Someone will sign him for sure.

#66 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Nobody remembers that Trent Hunter was Devil.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#67 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

I blame it all on Jagr.  Coming here and playing so well that #30 says "why can't I do the same?"  

I guess Brodeur wants to play this year so he can get signed for next season. Ok, I get it 

I just wish he would finish the contract he signed, and had told the press the same.  

Then any deal still would've happened, or if not,  then he can still sign anywhere once he's done here on April 14.

It's obvious he'll play next year, as someone will promise him something that sounds close enough to what he wants to hear.

Whether or not that promise actually pans out will have to be seen.

I see nothing that points to Brodeur going out gracefully with the Devils at the end of this season, nor over the summer.

All of the celebrating for fans will have to come at some future Marty Brodeur Night  a few years down the road.

#68 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

I also hope the LL sees Marty as the best athlete for the Devs needs in a backup needed 4-5 times more this season.

The team knows MB, and MB knows the team and its system

Sure a new keeper will get some practice in, but with the compressed schedule I think there is less practicing

So I hope there is no goalie-goalie trade, as I think that keeping MB is the best for the Devs.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users