218 replies to this topic

#161 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

The Devils are still highly unlikely to make the playoffs.

At the very least they've gotten us until tomorrow with a meaningful game.

If we win vs Phoenix and on the Island...then and only then could they be taken off of life support and start to look like a credible threat

Edited by '7', 26 March 2014 - 02:22 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#162 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

A coin flip if we go 8-2 that we get in? In that case I would say it's unlikely but doable.

If you mean it's a coin flip whether or not we go 8-2 AND get in then I would say highly unlikely based off the fact that we haven't gone 8-2 since...well, I don't even know.

Since the beginning of last year basically.  Well even then it was only 8-3-1 but close enough.

Even if Toronto somehow goes 5-3 we can pass them with 8-2.  With the way Toronto's going it probably won't take that much to pass them but it'll most likely take that much to pass Detroit or Columbus (they'd have to go 5-4-1 and we'd beat them out on ROW).  Honestly the most unlikely part of that scenario is our going 8-2, and I don't want to hear about schedule either.  

Edited by NJDevs26, 26 March 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#163 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Apparently Greiss is the probable starter tomorrow.   I'd rather play him than Smith.    I would love to see 4 or 5 goals and if not a shutout then maybe 1,  no more than 2 allowed from our guys -- a win like that would be a good way to end this home stand (though we play the Isles after this which is almost like playing at home since it's so close) and it would be inspiring, to me at least, heading into the final stretch which will determine whether or not we keep playing in April.

Mike Smith hurt his knee the other night.  Looked pretty bad. 

#164 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

91 points is back up to 64.2%.

http://www.sportsclu.../NewJersey.html

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#165 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Mike Smith hurt his knee the other night.  Looked pretty bad. 

Ah, didn't know that.  That's too bad, but good for us.  I've always thought Smith was a good goalie.  A little nuts, but he has potential.  I think the thing that drew me to him was his size and also his puck handling ability, probably after watching Brodeur for 20 years and seeing how valuable that is.

#166 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Ah, didn't know that.  That's too bad, but good for us.  I've always thought Smith was a good goalie.  A little nuts, but he has potential.  I think the thing that drew me to him was his size and also his puck handling ability, probably after watching Brodeur for 20 years and seeing how valuable that is.

Smith has been phenomenal in Phoenix, I remember when he was in Tampa and everyone wrote him off as a total bust.  But we will likely face one of the best backups in the league in Greiss, who will likely be a starter sooner than later..  I'd almost rather play against Smith. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#167 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

Check this out guys.  Now it looks like 90 points has potential to just be enough.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#168 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Check this out guys.  Now it looks like 90 points has potential to just be enough.

Okay, I have some advice for you. From now on follow these steps before posting:

1. Think very hard if you have anything better to do instead. If yes, clear that up before moving on to #2.

2. Read every post from the thread you want to post in. Every post. 

3. Think about those posts; what they mean, what they're saying, why posters have posted them, etc...

4. Repeat step 1.

5. Check back at the thread to see if any new posts have been added for you to read.

6. Think very hard about what you're about to post. Ask yourself how people will respond, whether it's relevant info, whether it's a ? that needs to be asked, etc...

7. If the post has anything to do with chances of the Devils making the playoffs, don't post it. I don't care if the thread is called: "Chances the Devils make the playoffs."

8. Repeat steps 1, 5, and 6.

9. Post.

10. Rinse and Repeat.

Edited by Neb00rs, 27 March 2014 - 09:14 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#169 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's not even about what the Devils do anymore.  They need some serious scoreboard help to even have a chance..and if that's going to be like everything else this season, you can expect it all to go against the Devils when it really matters.

I fully expect Pittsburgh and Philly to lose tonight.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#170 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

It's not even about what the Devils do anymore.  They need some serious scoreboard help to even have a chance..and if that's going to be like everything else this season, you can expect it all to go against the Devils when it really matters.

I fully expect Pittsburgh and Philly to lose tonight.

I've pointed it out already, but this team has actually gotten a lot of help.  They just never did nearly enough with it.  If they had gone something like 12-7-2 instead of 9-9-3 in their last 21, they'd be in pretty good shape.  The fact that they're still not dead yet tells you all you need to know...the only reason they're not is because the teams around them haven't really done that much better.

Here's what the standings looked like 21 games ago.  They were 11th in conference then and they're 11th now:

http://gelliott.ca/s...andingsDate.php

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#171 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:36 AM

PLAYOFF CHANCES OVERALL: 17.2%

Here's what our chances are if we finish out the season with the following records.

8-0-0: 98.2%

7-0-1: 92.2%

7-1-0: 80.0%

6-0-2: 77.3%

6-1-1: 57.7%

5-0-3: 54.4%

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#172 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

PLAYOFF CHANCES OVERALL: 17.2%

Here's what our chances are if we finish out the season with the following records.
8-0-0: 98.2%
7-0-1: 92.2%
7-1-0: 80.0%
6-0-2: 77.3%
6-1-1: 57.7%
5-0-3: 54.4%

You realize they won't be finishing with any of those records, right? They just lost to minor leaguers wearing Islander jerseys.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#173 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

89 points or fewer, you're on the outside looking in most likely.  90 points gives you a better than 50% chance at making it.

Detroit: 3-4-1 or worse to miss; 3-3-2 or better to make it

Toronto: 4-1-1 or worse to miss; 4-0-2 or better to make it

NY Rangers: 1-5-1 or worse to miss; 1-4-2 or better to make it

Philadelphia: 2-7-0 or worse to miss; 2-6-1 or better to make it

Columbus: 3-4-1 or worse to miss; 3-3-2 or better to make it

Washington: 4-3-1 or worse to miss; 4-2-2 or better to make it

New Jersey: 6-2-0 or worse to miss; 6-1-1 or better to make it

You realize they won't be finishing with any of those records, right? They just lost to minor leaguers wearing Islander jerseys.

That's a whole different argument and wasn't my point.  Just pointing out what it would take to make the playoffs.  BTW, what's Columbus's excuse for losing to them?  At least we got a point out of it.

Edited by Mike Brown, 30 March 2014 - 11:07 AM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#174 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

6-0-0: 91.4%

5-0-1: 74.8%

5-1-0: 56.9%

4-0-2: 52.5%

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#175 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

What's the chance at 0-0-6 :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#176 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

What's the chance at 0-0-6 :P

Realistically impossible.

#177 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

Realistically impossible.

Watch us somehow miss it by a point.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#178 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Watch us somehow miss it by a point.

After a shootout loss.

#179 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I cant see us getting the wins we need to have a shot.

I think we likely go 5-3-2 the rest of the season if we are lucky.

Since i said this in another thread we have gone 1-0-3.

We need 4 wins to even get close to a mediocre record to end the season.

In the last six games i can see this.

1) Washington - Loss

2) Carolina - Win

3) Calgary-Loss

4) Ottawa-OT

5) Islanders-Win

6) Boston- Win

That gives us 4-2-4 over the last 10 games of the season since my prediction.

I see us finishing on about 87 points. This basically means we need Detroit, Columbus Toronto and Washington to go winless for the rest of the season for us to make it.

It’s just not happening. The Devils needed two of those OT losses to be W's in the last four games to make it, and needed considerable support. They got the support but couldn’t hold up their end of the deal.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9, 02 April 2014 - 09:58 AM.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#180 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

In the last six games i can see this.

1) Washington - Loss

2) Carolina - Win

3) Calgary-Loss

4) Ottawa-OT

5) Islanders-Win

6) Boston- Win

I think it'll be:

1) Wsh - Win

2) Car - Loss

3) Cgy - Win

4) Ott - OT Loss

5) Islanders - Win

6) Boston - Win

And it probably won't matter that we win the last two games of the year because we won't get the help we need and Detroit/Columbus will probably only lose 2 or maybe 3 games at most the rest of the way, and we really need them to lose 4 or 5.

6-0-0: 91.4%

5-0-1: 74.8%

5-1-0: 56.9%

4-0-2: 52.5%

I assume, since it's 1 fewer point, that a 4-1-1 record would be right around 50% or maybe just below.  That's actually how I think we'll finish the year, and I have a feeling we will miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users