140 replies to this topic

#81 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

i am fairly convinced something like this happened. i'm not even kidding - lou was so furious at TG that it seemed out of character.

and there's nowhere else for him to land so we're stuck with him.

I don't think that's true.  Brodeur was named starter tonight, the Wild could've easily held off until tomorrow on a Bryzgalov deal.  The 'leaks' came from a New York based paper.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#82 flyboyike

flyboyike

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

As I'm not much of an expert, can someone explain to me under what circumstances anyone would want Marty who at the very most might have another year in him?  

#83 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

I don't think Lou nixed the deal, if there was one. It makes more sense to me if Minny nixed it when Lou balked at a 4th rd pick. Minny had options (Bryz, Marty, Halak), and the Devils had almost none.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#84 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,375 posts

I stil think Marty ends up in Montreal tmrw, especially w/ Price hurt...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#85 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Bh5p4mcCMAA_Wb-.jpg

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#86 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

This isn't good.  I don't see how they can keep Brodeur at this point.  So much drama surrounding a backup goalie and I have no faith in DeBoer to manage the situation.   We're slowly becoming Vancouver East.    

#87 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,887 posts

Its my sincere hope that upon his retirement, Lou writes a tell-all book. Every hockey fan on earth would probably buy it.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#88 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

I stil think Marty ends up in Montreal tmrw, especially w/ Price hurt...

Price's injury isn't serious. He isn't going to Montreal.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#89 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

This isn't good.  I don't see how they can keep Brodeur at this point.  So much drama surrounding a backup goalie and I have no faith in DeBoer to manage the situation.   We're slowly becoming Vancouver East.    

Vancouver had (and has) a goalie with a massive long term contract and a young goalie pushing him. We have an older goalie who's contract expires in July and a clear #1 in Schneider. It's not ideal, but it's not close to that mess.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#90 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Vancouver had (and has) a goalie with a massive long term contract and a young goalie pushing him. We have an older goalie who's contract expires in July and a clear #1 in Schneider. It's not ideal, but it's not close to that mess.

I dunno, it has the potential to get even messier, really.  After the trade deadline, you know Chere's moving onto asking Marty about retirement ten times a week.  

"Oh you know, I'd like to play next year but I'm not really getting a chance to show what I've got here..." etc etc.  Just..unnecessary drama.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#91 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

We have no shortage of drama right now and it's so needless. 

#92 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

I dunno, it has the potential to get even messier, really.  After the trade deadline, you know Chere's moving onto asking Marty about retirement ten times a week.  

"Oh you know, I'd like to play next year but I'm not really getting a chance to show what I've got here..." etc etc.  Just..unnecessary drama.

It's unnecessary absolutely. But Schneider has still played 8 of the last 9, and 11 of the last 14, including 7 straight with both sides of back to backs at one point. He's clearly the guy now. Marty just can't match him.

#93 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

The Wild could have done the Bryzgalov deal days ago...if Lou didn't nix a Marty trade the timing of the Bryzgalov deal is a HUGE coincidence...
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#94 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

The Wild could have done the Bryzgalov deal days ago...if Lou didn't nix a Marty trade the timing of the Bryzgalov deal is a HUGE coincidence...

We are a day before the trade deadline. I don't think it's that big of a coincidence. Remember, none of the Minnesota reporters had seen anything that said Marty was going there.

#95 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

It's unnecessary absolutely. But Schneider has still played 8 of the last 9, and 11 of the last 14, including 7 straight with both sides of back to backs at one point. He's clearly the guy now. Marty just can't match him.

I don't think so. He isn't the guy until Brodeur is gone. Cory had his first "bad" game. If Brodeur puts together a good game tonight, who the f knows where this goes. One more so-so game from Cory and Pete could go with Brodeur. He never said during Cory's stretch that he is the guy or it his time.

Unfortunately, Brodeur's legacy or name has been a factor all season. It's my opinion that it continues. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#96 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

I don't think so. He isn't the guy until Brodeur is gone. Cory had his first "bad" game. If Brodeur puts together a good game tonight, who the f knows where this goes. One more so-so game from Cory and Pete could go with Brodeur. He never said during Cory's stretch that he is the guy or it his time.

Unfortunately, Brodeur's legacy or name has been a factor all season. It's my opinion that it continues. 

Deboer can say all he wants about Marty earning this start, but I don't think there's anyone in the organization who looks at the situation and calls Marty the starter. This start comes down to that there was a chance it would be his last home game. No matter what happens tomorrow, I think Cory has 4 of the next 5 after the deadline. If the Devils have any interest in the playoffs, it's gotta be all Cory.

#97 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

the only other thing i can think of is that a 4th wasn't worth it to lou to deal marty. if you want to take a previous poster who said marty already asked out and it was lou that wanted to make sure the return was worth it as fact, that is a reasonable explanation.

cory hasn't been lights out in his games back (although he made two great saves late vs columbus) so perhaps there is a 10% hockey reason for starting marty tonight.

i will say that i think it's almost impossible he's dealt now because there's really nowhere for him to land.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#98 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

How silly. Lou didn't nix any deal, that's bad business and Lou wouldn't be so petty.

Again, though - this thread should never have been started.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#99 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

If we make the playoffs, Marty will start.

#100 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

CONSPIRACY ALERT: Lou never wanted to trade Marty at all. So HE leaks it to Deb Kaufman. Deb does her job. Lou gets all mad and now has a reason to nix the deal. Marty stays and Lou can say he tried to move him but there were no buyers. It's the perfect crime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users