344 replies to this topic

#341 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,438 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'll take Legwand back, if what Tri is saying is true. Hemsky has been ridiculously good in Ottawa. I'm not one to usually point out the players the Devils could have had, but I hated this trade since day one. If Lou had to make a trade, there were better players to be had that really fit their needs. He possibly tried for all of the guys, but I would have gladly been happy with none over Ruutu. No one gave an arm and a leg for any player at the deadline.

None of those guys may be getting the Devils over the hump, but they are UFAs. If you wanted Rutuu, you could have gotten him for much less in free agency when the Canes amnesty him. This isn't meant to be hate on Rutuu because hs is a decent enough player. But it was a bad deal that looks worse now when they are out of it.

Lou was a great GM. I don't think you can say he is a great GM anymore. You say there is lack of offensive depth, and it'll take years of drafting and development. Well whose fault is that and who can you trust to fix it.

I am not convinced that the Canes amnesty Ruutu because of how little money they retained in trade.  They are not a cap team, so in order to compliance buyout a player, they have to ascertain that paying 6 million to Ruutu for him not to play for them is better than paying 4+ million for him to play for someone else.  I don't think Ruutu's play is at that level.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#342 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Lou basically decided to stick with what we had deadline day. Lokti wanted out loud got something useful for him. I would expect if Lokti had been happy to stay we would not have made any moves.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#343 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

I am not convinced that the Canes amnesty Ruutu because of how little money they retained in trade.  They are not a cap team, so in order to compliance buyout a player, they have to ascertain that paying 6 million to Ruutu for him not to play for them is better than paying 4+ million for him to play for someone else.  I don't think Ruutu's play is at that level.

Nor do I think we would have neccesarily been able to sign him even if he had become amnestied.  Or at least our chances of having him for the next couple of seasons would have been far less.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#344 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

It does seem like Lou likes to collect underachieving first rounders. Maybe he thinks he can fix them.

Lou hasn't been in enough failed relationships. You have to love someone for who they are and not try to change them.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 23 March 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#345 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,438 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

If you redraft the 2001 1st round right now, Tuomo Ruutu is still one of the top players picked.  I'd say he's had the 8th best career of any 1st round pick from 2001.

This point really isn't about Ruutu - it's about expectations for 1st round picks.  Some of them go on to be superstars, but a lot of them go on to be players like Ruutu - a sometimes above average winger who's had some nice years, some not so nice ones.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users