We Got Rutuu

Daniel

i'm not complaining about clowe - that deal will turn out to be bad, of course, but for this season, when he's been healthy, he's been good.

this ruutu deal sucks a ton. i'd bet lou doesn't even know the rule about asking carolina to retain salary. 

"we've been looking at ruutu for years..."

i'm not complaining about clowe - that deal will turn out to be bad, of course, but for this season, when he's been healthy, he's been good.

this ruutu deal sucks a ton. i'd bet lou doesn't even know the rule about asking carolina to retain salary. 

"we've been looking at ruutu for years..."

Has Lou been sneaking into the training room in Carolina to watch Ruutu rehab?  The guy has barely played the past few years with the number of injuries he's had!

Not sure what the big deal is - lokti was so so and clearly not in the plans past this year anyway. His agent already came it and said he was unhappy here. The pick is nothing and can easily be recouped way down the line if we really are dying for a 3rd round pick.

Hopefully this means josefson is going to get a long stint as the 3C.

Not sure what the big deal is - lokti was so so and clearly not in the plans past this year anyway. His agent already came it and said he was unhappy here. The pick is nothing and can easily be recouped way down the line if we really are dying for a 3rd round pick.

Hopefully this means josefson is going to get a long stint as the 3C.

It's a terrible misallocation of money.  You've got 3 guys (Zubrus, Clowe, Ruutu) who basically do the same thing, and all of them are paid twice what they should be for it, and all of them are on the downslope of their careers.  If Carolina is picking up 25% of this deal, it's just a run of the mill bad deal deadline desperation type thing.  If they are picking up none of it, it's horrendous.  If they're picking up 50%, okay, it should be okay, not really much of a risk because that's around what bad 3rd line players go for these days in UFA.

It's a terrible misallocation of money.  You've got 3 guys (Zubrus, Clowe, Ruutu) who basically do the same thing, and all of them are paid twice what they should be for it, and all of them are on the downslope of their careers.  If Carolina is picking up 25% of this deal, it's just a run of the mill bad deal deadline desperation type thing.  If they are picking up none of it, it's horrendous.  If they're picking up 50%, okay, it should be okay, not really much of a risk because that's around what bad 3rd line players go for these days in UFA.

My question is even if they are picking up all of his salary, does it really prevent the Devils from doing anything else?  It won't stop the Devils from throwing money at Statsny, even if that were in the cards.  It can't imagine that it would have any effect on keeping all of the young guys that you would want to lock up long term.

It's the same reason why the worst thing about Volchenkov's deal is not the money, but the years and NMC. 

My question is even if they are picking up all of his salary, does it really prevent the Devils from doing anything else?  It won't stop the Devils from throwing money at Statsny, even if that were in the cards.  It can't imagine that it would have any effect on keeping all of the young guys that you would want to lock up long term.

It's the same reason why the worst thing about Volchenkov's deal is not the money, but the years and NMC. 

Yes.  It prevents them from getting a better player for that spot.  This is already the problem with Dainius Zubrus.  It's hard to think of a team weaker down the left side than NJ is right now with Zubrus/Ruutu/Clowe/Carter, and the best news is that the first three guys are signed through 2016.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Lou might be starting to lose it.  What an absolute joke this day has been.  At least the Hurricanes are having a nice laugh.   

i would have no problem if lou did nothing and wouldn't say it was him losing it - the devils need a lot to go right just to make the playoffs. dealing away any of the young d for any kind of rental would be disastrous. 

but the ruutu deal - its is bad for every reason. he could score 40 goals next year and it's still a mistake. it's been lou's MO too often - doing things hoping they work out regardless of whether they are the correct risk/allocation of resources.

Yes.  It prevents them from getting a better player for that spot.  This is already the problem with Dainius Zubrus.  It's hard to think of a team weaker down the left side than NJ is right now with Zubrus/Ruutu/Clowe/Carter, and the best news is that the first three guys are signed through 2016.

That's a roster jam that occurs regardless of the money. 

i would have no problem if lou did nothing and wouldn't say it was him losing it - the devils need a lot to go right just to make the playoffs. dealing away any of the young d for any kind of rental would be disastrous. 

but the ruutu deal - its is bad for every reason. he could score 40 goals next year and it's still a mistake. it's been lou's MO too often - doing things hoping they work out regardless of whether they are the correct risk/allocation of resources.

I agree.  I actually wouldn't have had any issues with him standing pat. 

Will see how he plays, I like ruutu alot always like him when we play the canes. It's one thing to cry about the deal, but let's see how he meshes with our guys and what comes from it. Don't know why its all doom and gloom, as others have tried to point out who are we spending this cap money on anyway?

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Lou might be starting to lose it. What an absolute joke this day has been. At least the Hurricanes are having a nice laugh.

You would think at some point Lou would get a player in the lineup under 30 with actual speed. Poor Larsson stuck in the AHL the rest of the season now because Lou refuses to do what needs to be done.

Well took you awhile but glad that your on board now

In the past, I could at least see what the logic was behind most of Lou's moves (even the ones that didn't work out).  I'm not necessarily anti-Lou now, but there's just no way to justify what he did today.  Like I said, even if he had done nothing, I could've understood it.  Who knows, maybe Ruutu comes in and does a terrific job and Lou will prove us all wrong, but damn, I don't see how.   

I don't mind this deal too much. At least we know Ruutu can play in the NHL consistently if he doesn't get injured. The salary is rough but we needed someone to try bolstering our wings, and we'll have space after some players clear this year and the cap goes up. While it's not a blockbuster, at least it's something.