344 replies to this topic

#101 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Another thing, over 10 million dollars tied up into Ryane Clowe and Tuomo Ruutu...ugh.  I'm gonna be sick.

#102 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Clowe has been pretty good for us since coming back from injury. IMO worth the money so far.

#103 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

i'm not complaining about clowe - that deal will turn out to be bad, of course, but for this season, when he's been healthy, he's been good.

this ruutu deal sucks a ton. i'd bet lou doesn't even know the rule about asking carolina to retain salary. 

"we've been looking at ruutu for years..."

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#104 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

With all the money we're giving Ruutu and Clowe, PartyPoker.NJ.COM will now need to amp up their efforts to give us some more revenue to make up for these bonehead signings...

#105 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

i'm not complaining about clowe - that deal will turn out to be bad, of course, but for this season, when he's been healthy, he's been good.

this ruutu deal sucks a ton. i'd bet lou doesn't even know the rule about asking carolina to retain salary. 

"we've been looking at ruutu for years..."

Has Lou been sneaking into the training room in Carolina to watch Ruutu rehab?  The guy has barely played the past few years with the number of injuries he's had!

Posted Image

#106 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Has Lou been sneaking into the training room in Carolina to watch Ruutu rehab?  The guy has barely played the past few years with the number of injuries he's had!

LOL good one duck

#107 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Not sure what the big deal is - lokti was so so and clearly not in the plans past this year anyway. His agent already came it and said he was unhappy here. The pick is nothing and can easily be recouped way down the line if we really are dying for a 3rd round pick.

Hopefully this means josefson is going to get a long stint as the 3C.

#108 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Ugh, on the hook for his 4.75 mil cap hit until 2016.

I may vomit.

#109 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Not sure what the big deal is - lokti was so so and clearly not in the plans past this year anyway. His agent already came it and said he was unhappy here. The pick is nothing and can easily be recouped way down the line if we really are dying for a 3rd round pick.

Hopefully this means josefson is going to get a long stint as the 3C.

It's a terrible misallocation of money.  You've got 3 guys (Zubrus, Clowe, Ruutu) who basically do the same thing, and all of them are paid twice what they should be for it, and all of them are on the downslope of their careers.  If Carolina is picking up 25% of this deal, it's just a run of the mill bad deal deadline desperation type thing.  If they are picking up none of it, it's horrendous.  If they're picking up 50%, okay, it should be okay, not really much of a risk because that's around what bad 3rd line players go for these days in UFA.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#110 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

I no longer Trust in Lou, sorry, but if this is the best he can do then its time to walk away. This kleague is about speed now, and he trades for a slow mucker w/ an awful contract???

Is he hoping to bore the other teams to death?
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#111 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

It's a terrible misallocation of money.  You've got 3 guys (Zubrus, Clowe, Ruutu) who basically do the same thing, and all of them are paid twice what they should be for it, and all of them are on the downslope of their careers.  If Carolina is picking up 25% of this deal, it's just a run of the mill bad deal deadline desperation type thing.  If they are picking up none of it, it's horrendous.  If they're picking up 50%, okay, it should be okay, not really much of a risk because that's around what bad 3rd line players go for these days in UFA.

My question is even if they are picking up all of his salary, does it really prevent the Devils from doing anything else?  It won't stop the Devils from throwing money at Statsny, even if that were in the cards.  It can't imagine that it would have any effect on keeping all of the young guys that you would want to lock up long term.

It's the same reason why the worst thing about Volchenkov's deal is not the money, but the years and NMC. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#112 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

This is all you need to know.

http://www.sportsnet...-tuomo-ruutu-2/

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#113 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

I knew Lou would be after Rutuu. I'm going to be sick.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#114 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

My question is even if they are picking up all of his salary, does it really prevent the Devils from doing anything else?  It won't stop the Devils from throwing money at Statsny, even if that were in the cards.  It can't imagine that it would have any effect on keeping all of the young guys that you would want to lock up long term.

It's the same reason why the worst thing about Volchenkov's deal is not the money, but the years and NMC. 

Yes.  It prevents them from getting a better player for that spot.  This is already the problem with Dainius Zubrus.  It's hard to think of a team weaker down the left side than NJ is right now with Zubrus/Ruutu/Clowe/Carter, and the best news is that the first three guys are signed through 2016.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#115 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Lou Lamoriello has not watched a non-Devils game in 15 years. I am sure of it. I think Hedberg might be their only pro scout too.

WTF! 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#116 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Lou might be starting to lose it.  What an absolute joke this day has been.  At least the Hurricanes are having a nice laugh.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#117 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Lou Lamoriello has not watched a non-Devils game in 15 years. I am sure of it. 

:giggle:

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#118 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

i would have no problem if lou did nothing and wouldn't say it was him losing it - the devils need a lot to go right just to make the playoffs. dealing away any of the young d for any kind of rental would be disastrous. 

but the ruutu deal - its is bad for every reason. he could score 40 goals next year and it's still a mistake. it's been lou's MO too often - doing things hoping they work out regardless of whether they are the correct risk/allocation of resources.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#119 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yes.  It prevents them from getting a better player for that spot.  This is already the problem with Dainius Zubrus.  It's hard to think of a team weaker down the left side than NJ is right now with Zubrus/Ruutu/Clowe/Carter, and the best news is that the first three guys are signed through 2016.

That's a roster jam that occurs regardless of the money. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#120 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

i would have no problem if lou did nothing and wouldn't say it was him losing it - the devils need a lot to go right just to make the playoffs. dealing away any of the young d for any kind of rental would be disastrous. 

but the ruutu deal - its is bad for every reason. he could score 40 goals next year and it's still a mistake. it's been lou's MO too often - doing things hoping they work out regardless of whether they are the correct risk/allocation of resources.

I agree.  I actually wouldn't have had any issues with him standing pat. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users