344 replies to this topic

#161 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have a question. How exactly does retaining salary work? Is it just the team pays some of the players salary so the team receiving the player just saves actual dollars? Or does it actually split the cap hit between the two teams? I thought it split the cap hit but i could be wrong.

#162 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Um, yes he is.

http://hurricanes.nh...s.htm?id=618389

The deal will pay Ruutu $4 million in 2012-13, and $5 million per season in the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

I wasn't talking actual dollars.

His caphit is $4.75m.  Owners are the ones who care about the actual dollar amount.  Fans and GM's only care about caphits.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#163 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

I was a big Lokti fan because it was nice to see someone with speed on this team. But I said last night to my girlfriend that the Devils needed some grit on this team. Now the contract is redic, but we were playing the trade game with zero assets. I would have preferred Lee Stempniak.

Thus summer is when Lou will work some magic.

Has anyone looked at the Islanders schedule? I hope they don't play a lot of people ahead of the Devs.

At least he knows Jagr.

Edited by hystyk28, 05 March 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#164 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

The good news?  Ruutu is in the top 20 in the NHL in hits.

The bad news?  We got a $5 million version of Steve Bernier.

Bernier comparison is spot on.

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#165 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Bernier comparison is spot on.

Except Ruutu is better offensively and defensively than Bernier.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#166 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

They are going to nail you for double talk there probably. Werent you one of the guys saying bernier could be like a 50point player. There is no way Ruutu is better than that lol. It might not have been you who said that, but your digging a grave if you did.

#167 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,050 posts

Facts you can't make up:

In 16 career playoff games, Ruutu has one goal:  2009 Game 7 vs. the Devils (one of the worst gut-punch losses in Devils' history).

I was gonna ask if Ruutu was on that 09 Carolina team. Yep, come to think of it I think he scored the first goal of the game for them that night.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#168 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

glad to see lokti gone and we need to start changing some stuff up he was useless anyway.. but dont know a thing about this guy rutuu.. from the majority of what ive been reading sure sounds like majority of fans arent to thrilled
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#169 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

But wait a minute, didn't you say Bernier could play on the top line and could still fulfill that potential he showed as a rookie?

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#170 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

They are going to nail you for double talk there probably. Werent you one of the guys saying bernier could be like a 50point player. There is no way Ruutu is better than that lol. It might not have been you who said that, but your digging a grave if you did.

Well I think Bernier COULD be a 50 point player.  Ruutu actually WAS a 50 point player.  Right now I'd say Bernier is anywhere from 15-25, possibly 30 point player.  I still think Ruutu is a 40 point player.

But wait a minute, didn't you say Bernier could play on the top line and could still fulfill that potential he showed as a rookie?

Well I think Bernier COULD be a 50 point player.  Ruutu actually WAS a 50 point player.  Right now I'd say Bernier is anywhere from 15-25, possibly 30 point player.  I still think Ruutu is a 40 point player.

glad to see lokti gone and we need to start changing some stuff up he was useless anyway.. but dont know a thing about this guy rutuu.. from the majority of what ive been reading sure sounds like majority of fans arent to thrilled

He's a physical guy who can chip in some offense.  He's good defensively as well.  Think of a Ryane Clowe type of player except Ruutu is more talented.  But like Clowe, injuries are a concern.

Edited by Mike Brown, 05 March 2014 - 04:33 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#171 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Let's not get into this game again where we pick apart everything Mike Brown says - he's been a lot better lately. 

That being said, I disagree with his assessment of Bernier (he doesn't seem to have any offensive...um..anything).  I don't think he hits 50 points playing on a line with Crosby.

I'd hope Ruutu is a 40 point player, I honestly don't know enough about his game to argue one way or the other.  For the money he's earning, he better bring some serious 'intangibles' 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#172 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Oh well, it is what it is.  Might as well get on board with it.  Curious to see what he brings, though it's hard to see how he's going to improve any current weaknesses. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#173 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Bad trade. Even if they retain half the caphit (which they're probably not doing).

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#174 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

"Could" and "is" are two different things. Don't be an a$$hole.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#175 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

i hope hes better then bernier.. i feel like he brings practically nothing to the table these days
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#176 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

i hope hes better then bernier.. i feel like he brings practically nothing to the table these days

He is better than Bernier.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#177 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Just realized I have him on my fantasy team (A 20 person league with 22 man roster). 

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 05 March 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#178 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

"Could" and "is" are two different things. Don't be an a$$hole.

Are you his girlfriend, RingDings? 

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#179 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Anyway, I think this team is starting to look a lot like those old defense first Devils squads. I like it. We won plenty without flash. Bring the grit back.

Are you his girlfriend, RingDings? 

Yup.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#180 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

I wonder how much salary was retained.

Rutuu at 3m isn't quite as insulting. I'm hoping Lou threw that third in there to get them to keep a significant amount of salary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users