173 replies to this topic

#21 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I don't think Lou expected this.  I don't think this happens unless Kovy goes to the KHL.

I think Lou honestly thought the team was going to contend for the past two years and keeping the pick in 2012 was crucial to the efforts to retain Parise.  

This too

Spot on

#22 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

That's some great news.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

This has nothing to do with Kovalchuk going to the KHL.  Nothing at all.  Remember, the penalty is for the first contract.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, I remembered this, but I didn't know what he could have.

I don't really think it did.  Who moved for a first round pick?  Whatever, it's a 1st round pick.  Nice to have.

Vanek moved for less then a 1st.

#25 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

:koolaid:  :koolaid:  :koolaid: Coolaid

815631765.gif

#26 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Good now i'll change my loktionov pic! Happy day

#27 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

No sh!t.  Wish we still had what is likely to be a better pick, but hey, it's definitely better than nothing.

How about that.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#28 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

illK6U.gif

25smul5.png

#29 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

DarrenDreger 27m
NHL will award Devils with the 30th pick in the Draft instead of the 1st round pick as usually determined. Also forgiving $1.5 mil of fine.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#30 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

This is good news. Better then no pick at all. Wow!

#31 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, I remembered this, but I didn't know what he could have.

I don't really think it did.  Who moved for a first round pick?  Whatever, it's a 1st round pick.  Nice to have.

I think with that pick, we could have made a decent run at Vanek.   I'm not sure of the value of the kid they got, as opposed to one of our defensemen, but we really had no chips yesterday.   That we did anything without giving up much of value was a miracle

#32 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Speaking of which, I didn't realize just how poorly they have drafted until I looked at their draft history:

251 total picks since 1988

143 picks have never played in an NHL game (57%)

193 picks have played 0-100 total NHL games (77%)

222 picks have played 0-400 total NHL games (88%)

Since 1996, these are the only players with 400+ NHL games played (essentially 5 seasons):

Zajac (2004)

Parise (2003)

P. Martin (2000)

Rupp (2000)

Commodore (1999)

Gomez (1998)

B. Gionta (1998)

C. White (1996)

W. Mitchell (1996)

#33 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

This has nothing to do with Kovalchuk going to the KHL.  Nothing at all.  Remember, the penalty is for the first contract.

If this league actually made rulings and enforced punishment based upon some semblance of objective thought, I'd be able to see your point. However, I would really like to hear what you think this is based on since you seem to feel that there is enough evidence regarding an actual body of reasoning for this change to negate our tin-foil hat theories. I honestly think this has everything to do with the league feeling bad for punishing us for a player who isn't still here. I don't see any other real reason for the league to do this because according to the strictures of the ruling, they don't have to do anything but enforce the punishment as meted out.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#34 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

If this league actually made rulings and enforced punishment based upon some semblance of objective thought, I'd be able to see your point. However, I would really like to hear what you think this is based on since you seem to feel that there is enough evidence regarding an actual body of reasoning for this change to negate our tin-foil hat theories. I honestly think this has everything to do with the league feeling bad for punishing us for a player who isn't still here. I don't see any other real reason for the league to do this because according to the strictures of the ruling, they don't have to do anything but enforce the punishment as meted out.

IMO, the league feels it's now punishing Harris, an owner they want to have a good relationship with, for the actions of the old owner. So forgiving part of the penalty is being done to foster a good relationship with a billionaire who wasn't part of the wrong doing.

If Vanderbeek still owned the team then the penalty would not have been changed.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not.  The Devils are already subject to cap recapture on Kovalchuk's 2nd contract.

max:  The Devils could've gotten Vanek anyway.  They didn't have the cap room after the Ruutu deal.

#36 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Reading the others team's fans throw a hissy fit on HF is hilarious

#37 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not.  The Devils are already subject to cap recapture on Kovalchuk's 2nd contract.

max:  The Devils could've gotten Vanek anyway.  They didn't have the cap room after the Ruutu deal.

That still doesn't explain why the league is lessening the punishment.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#38 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Part of the deal is that the Devils cannot trade the pick. So i guess thats why they waited till after the deadline.  Per TG:

Devils cannot trade 30th pick as part of the league's ruling to "modify" the penalty..

Edited by njd3b1ink, 06 March 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

That still doesn't explain why the league is lessening the punishment.

What 731 said - Harris is now the owner.  It was under Vanderbeek that the old contract was signed.

#40 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Wow, this is such a relief! Great news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users