173 replies to this topic

#41 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Part of the deal is that the Devils cannot trade the pick. So i guess thats why they waited till after the deadline.  Per TG:

Devils cannot trade 30th pick as part of the league's ruling to "modify" the penalty..

Lou's not trading the pick anyway, especially with the current state of our forward prospects

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#42 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

So if we win the Stanley Cup this year we would of picked 30th anyway!

#43 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

LOL! Snow couldn't get a 1st for Vanek and we got a 1st for nothing. 

Seriously though, great news for the Devils.

oKCiNj.jpg

#44 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

I called it. Anyway, I am sure this was part of the sale conditions to Harris and company.

#45 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not.  The Devils are already subject to cap recapture on Kovalchuk's 2nd contract.

max:  The Devils could've gotten Vanek anyway.  They didn't have the cap room after the Ruutu deal.

I agree with you in principle on the top part, but the second contract wasn't registered until the labor negotiation was completed.  It was a bit sketchy.

#46 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'm a glass half empty type of guy, so in essence, it's just short of us getting the 1st pick of the 2nd round.  No big deal.  More of a "formality" than anything...

#47 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Bwahahaha Lou trolling everyone. All those people who freaked out over not giving up the 29th pick can shove it now.

#48 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Great news. It's already been debated but I would not at all be surprised if lou knew about this. At the very least he had a hunch because nothing else would justify us taking Matteau.

So just to be clear: we have the 30th pick this year, not pending anything. So no matter how bad we do, we still get the 30th right

Edited by Onddeck, 06 March 2014 - 01:23 PM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#49 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

What 731 said - Harris is now the owner. It was under Vanderbeek that the old contract was signed.

That may mean something with the fine but means nothing vis-a-vis the pick. College programs get punished all the time for what previous administrations did.

I do think Kovy leaving and the cap recapture penalty brought to light the silliness of punishing us twice without getting the player for anywhere close to full term.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#50 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

So in hindsight I guees it's a good idea we didn't give up the 29th pick in 2012.

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

There is no way Lou knew anything in June of 2012. Perhaps he felt that he could keep working on the league for 2 years, and present a very good case.

The rest of the league has every right to be going nuts. This is the third time Lou has really gotten away with some sketchy sh!t.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Bwahahaha Lou trolling everyone. All those people who freaked out over not giving up the 29th pick can shove it now.

Except there's no guarantee this happens if Kovy doesn't leave or VBK doesn't sell. It was still pretty reckless.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#53 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

yea ok keep acting like you didnt think it was a bad decision at the time too

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

There is no way Lou knew anything in June of 2012. Perhaps he felt that he could keep working on the league for 2 years, and present a very good case.

The rest of the league has every right to be going nuts. This is the third time Lou has really gotten away with some sketchy sh!t.

He didn't 'get away' with it...we still had a 1st reduced and lost a 3rd, still the most severe cap penalty ever.

#55 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

That may mean something with the fine but means nothing vis-a-vis the pick. College programs get punished all the time for what previous administrations did.

I do think Kovy leaving and the cap recapture penalty brought to light the silliness of punishing us twice without getting the player for anywhere close to full term.

You're holding up the NCAA as your example?  The NCAA is the only sports organization categorically worse than the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#56 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Lou's not trading the pick anyway, especially with the current state of our forward prospects

It's a pick that could have otherwise been packaged to move up, or get multiple lower picks. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#57 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,201 posts

I just did a little dance. Best news in forever concerning this team.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#58 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Good. It was a dumb punishment to begin with. 

Posted Image

#59 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not. 

Technically you are correct, although if I recall correctly, the penalty was imposed after he signed the second deal.  So had he not the second, I couldn't see Bettman imposing that severe a penalty, which was discretionary in the first place.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#60 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

It's a pick that could have otherwise been packaged to move up, or get multiple lower picks. 

It could've, but hey the NHL decided to give us some strings attached to this little gift. You have to accept it as is

What this does give us is the opportunity to trade our first in 2015 at next years deadline if Lou feels like it (and is satisfied with our haul this year)

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users