#61 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

yea ok keep acting like you didnt think it was a bad decision at the time too

was not on the board back then so I don't have any evidence to point to but there have been rational arguments made why it wasn't necessarily a bad decision. It was a calculated risk that we may still lose a bit on but may be worth it depending on what Matteau becomes.

Either way I don't value draft picks as much as some do, if anything their greatest value is in trades, so IMO the fact that we couldn't use this pick as a trade chip hurts more than it being downgraded to #30.

Just glancing at other forums- other fans' butthurt over this is great.

#62 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

was not on the board back then so I don't have any evidence to point to but there have been rational arguments made why it wasn't necessarily a bad decision. It was a calculated risk that we may still lose a bit on but may be worth it depending on what Matteau becomes.

Either way I don't value draft picks as much as some do, if anything their greatest value is in trades, so IMO the fact that we couldn't use this pick as a trade chip hurts more than it being downgraded to #30.

Just glancing at other forums- other fans' butthurt over this is great.

A rumor that was circulating at the time was that Lou was taking a gamble that Vasilevski or Malcolm Subban would be available at 29.  The Schneider deal indicates that Lou has been looking for Marty's successor for quite a while, which makes the scenario a bit more plausible. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#63 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

The way I see it, the league has to approve all contracts anyways right?  So, why was the first contract even approved or considered if it was cap circumvention?  Why didn't the league just say "nah, nah, nah...this isn't a valid contract...go back to the table and do it again until its right..."  Rather, now they penalize intent...I don't get it

#64 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

The way I see it, the league has to approve all contracts anyways right?  So, why was the first contract even approved or considered if it was cap circumvention?  Why didn't the league just say "nah, nah, nah...this isn't a valid contract...go back to the table and do it again until its right..."  Rather, now they penalize intent...I don't get it

The league did say that, but then Devils held press conference and they signed the deal anyway.

Posted Image

#65 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

It could've, but hey the NHL decided to give us some strings attached to this little gift. You have to accept it as is

What this does give us is the opportunity to trade our first in 2015 at next years deadline if Lou feels like it (and is satisfied with our haul this year)

Certainly not complaining about it, just noting that the strings diminish the value, which is built into the penalty.

And unless the deal would be an absolute heist, in no way, shape or form, should the Devils be trading their 2015 first rounder.  It's the type of team where the bottom could drop out at any time, and you don't want to be in the position where you're essentially trading away a generational talent, even if you could peg the Devils' chances when the trade is made at 3% of landing the number 1 overall.   It's why I think the Islanders are probably having a serious debate about opting to give up what would could very well be a top four pick in this year's draft to Buffalo for the Vanek deal instead of their 2015 first rounder. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#66 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

It's one reason why I found the penalty pretty outrageous.  The spirit of the cap circumvention penalty in the prior CBA was to punish under the table salary, like we'll secretly be putting an extra $2 million in a Swiss bank account, or we'll give your wife a $2 million per year front office job.  The CBA specifically defined that sort of thing as cap circumvention.   On the other hand, everything about the first Kovy deal was permitted, at least by the letter of the CBA.  I could understand that a line had to be drawn, but it's hard to justify such a draconian penalty when there was no clear rule that was violated.

Posted Image

#67 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

So the trade was Loki plus a conditional third in 2017 for Rutuu and 1st in 2014. Now how's that trade looking?  :dizzy:

#68 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Very nice surprise today.  I'm shocked Count Chocula softened and gave us this pick.  That penalty was a total sham anyway considering how other teams had done the exact same thing prior to the Kovy signing. 

Posted Image

#69 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Awesome news, just made my day!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#70 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

i think its good to hear that the nhl can reconsider their punishments

Edited by grcenter47, 06 March 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#71 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

HF Boards is mad.  lol

http://hfboards.hock...=1618731&page=2

Edited by Mike Brown, 06 March 2014 - 02:35 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#72 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Watch as that becomes our first round pick anyway :whistling:

:pray:

:giggle:

I'm here for the party

#73 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Very nice surprise today.  I'm shocked Count Chocula softened and gave us this pick.  That penalty was a total sham anyway considering how other teams had done the exact same thing prior to the Kovy signing. 

Lou deserves a lot of blame on that one.  He was warned not to try to push that contract through.  He responded by scheduling a press conference to announce the deal that had no chance to get approved.  What did Lou think was going to happen?  I'll never understand what he was trying to accomplish with that one. 

But this is still a great day.  So glad to have this first-rounder.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#74 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

HF Boards is mad.  lol

this is hilarious.

I'm here for the party

#75 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

this was interesting in the hockey news

The other strange part of this is it puts into question whether Devils GM Lou Lamoriello knew all along that he would get the first round pick back. When Lamoriello kept the 29th overall pick in 2012 to take Stefan Matteau instead of forfeiting it, the decision was curious. Today’s decision sheds new light on that call, though, and makes you question the NHL’s motives in overturning the penalty.

Lou has the fifth sense

Edited by grcenter47, 06 March 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#76 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

HF Boards is mad.  lol

I actually see a lot more sympathy for our situation that I would have expected  :noclue:

#77 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

It's one reason why I found the penalty pretty outrageous.  The spirit of the cap circumvention penalty in the prior CBA was to punish under the table salary, like we'll secretly be putting an extra $2 million in a Swiss bank account, or we'll give your wife a $2 million per year front office job.  The CBA specifically defined that sort of thing as cap circumvention.   On the other hand, everything about the first Kovy deal was permitted, at least by the letter of the CBA.  I could understand that a line had to be drawn, but it's hard to justify such a draconian penalty when there was no clear rule that was violated.

I think the reason that the Devils got hit so hard is that they held the press conference and everything after the league said they weren't going to approve the contract. Lou or Vanderbeek basically tried to call the NHL's bluff, and the league came down hard.

The "spirit of the cap" is a load of bull. The Devils tried to make fools of them and the other ridiculous contracts, so the league hit back. If the league really cared about the "spirit of the cap", Chicago wouldn't have been allowed to "loan" Huet to some team in Switzerland, the Rangers wouldn't be allowed to bury tens of millions of dollars of bad contracts in the minors, the Islanders wouldn't be able to trade for Tim Thomas in a season where he already said he wasn't playing, etc etc.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#78 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

HF Boards is mad.  lol

I'm actually surprised by the amount of level-headed posters there too from around the league. For every idiot who's angry, there's another guy who gets it.

I actually see a lot more sympathy for our situation that I would have expected   :noclue:

Same haha

Edited by DJ Eco, 06 March 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#79 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,124 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

I think the reason that the Devils got hit so hard is that they held the press conference and everything after the league said they weren't going to approve the contract. Lou or Vanderbeek basically tried to call the NHL's bluff, and the league came down hard.

The "spirit of the cap" is a load of bull. The Devils tried to make fools of them and the other ridiculous contracts, so the league hit back. If the league really cared about the "spirit of the cap", Chicago wouldn't have been allowed to "loan" Huet to some team in Switzerland, the Rangers wouldn't be allowed to bury tens of millions of dollars of bad contracts in the minors, the Islanders wouldn't be able to trade for Tim Thomas in a season where he already said he wasn't playing, etc etc.

I also think the NHL knew they let the Devils off the hook from cap jail with the Mogilny and Malahkov circumvention. Regardless what anyone thinks of the Kovy stuff, that was pretty offside.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#80 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Actually, they did exactly that, AND still handed out this ridiculous punishment for a contract that they never let go into effect in the first place.  I'm glad they lessened the punishment, but I still can't find justification for there to be any punishment in the first place.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users