173 replies to this topic

#81 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

I also think the NHL knew they let the Devils off the hook from cap jail with the Mogilny and Malahkov circumvention. Regardless what anyone thinks of the Kovy stuff, that was pretty offside.

Oh yeah, that sneaky Malahkov trade for Korolyuk right? Haha, yeah that was pretty bad.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#82 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Celebrate good times, CMON! That having been said, would it have been wiser to simply forfeit our 29th pick after we went to the Finals and draft normally this year? Hmm.....

Edited by Biggie B, 06 March 2014 - 03:03 PM.

Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#83 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

this was interesting in the hockey news

The other strange part of this is it puts into question whether Devils GM Lou Lamoriello knew all along that he would get the first round pick back. When Lamoriello kept the 29th overall pick in 2012 to take Stefan Matteau instead of forfeiting it, the decision was curious. Today’s decision sheds new light on that call, though, and makes you question the NHL’s motives in overturning the penalty.

Lou has the fifth sense

Most of us have a fifth sense

#84 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

well we won't have to look at possible positions in the standings and all til the end for a favorable draft pick and who we could get lol 30th pick is set and god knows who would still be there. Pretty weak draft this year too apparently but damn we'll take it

www.SterioDesign.com

#85 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Actually, they did exactly that, AND still handed out this ridiculous punishment for a contract that they never let go into effect in the first place.  I'm glad they lessened the punishment, but I still can't find justification for there to be any punishment in the first place.

No, Lou and the Devils were warned by the league not to try to push the original 17-year deal through or there would be consequences.  Lou basically gave the league the finger and had a press conference to announce the deal.  It was a stupid move on his part...there was no reason to test the league on that one.  What was there to be gained?   

They worked with the league on the second deal (the 15-year version), but Lou should've just done that from the start. 

Most of us have a fifth sense

It's like some people know what's coming before it happens...they have ESPN.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#86 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

No, Lou and the Devils were warned by the league not to try to push the original 17-year deal through or there would be consequences.  Lou basically gave the league the finger and had a press conference to announce the deal.  It was a stupid move on his part...there was no reason to test the league on that one.  What was there to be gained?   

They worked with the league on the second deal (the 15-year version), but Lou should've just done that from the start. 

I could see Lou expressing to the league that that was Vanderbeek forcing his hand, and perhaps the league had a bit of sympathy for him and took their boot of the Devils throat now that Vanderbeek is pretty much out of the picture

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#87 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

So the punishment was for holding the press conference?

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#88 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I think the reason that the Devils got hit so hard is that they held the press conference and everything after the league said they weren't going to approve the contract. Lou or Vanderbeek basically tried to call the NHL's bluff, and the league came down hard.

The "spirit of the cap" is a load of bull. The Devils tried to make fools of them and the other ridiculous contracts, so the league hit back. If the league really cared about the "spirit of the cap", Chicago wouldn't have been allowed to "loan" Huet to some team in Switzerland, the Rangers wouldn't be allowed to bury tens of millions of dollars of bad contracts in the minors, the Islanders wouldn't be able to trade for Tim Thomas in a season where he already said he wasn't playing, etc etc.

You cut off my quote.  I said "spirit of the cap penalty" provision, not the "spirit of the cap".  As I recall, the old CBA speaks at length as to what "cap circumvention" actually was, which consisted of instances where teams attempt to conceal actual salary.   Later, the CBA just said that the commissioner could impose penalties for cap circumvention.  So the much more reasonable interpretation of the CBA is that the penalty could be imposed for what the CBA actually defined as cap circumvention.  In fact, it wasn't even a sure thing that the league was going to win the arbitration, and it certainly had no principled basis to accept the Hossa contract, but not the Kovalchuks.  Again, I understand that the league had to challenge those types of contracts at some point, but the penalty was clearly draconian, and not justified by a much more fair reading of the CBA.

Edited by Daniel, 06 March 2014 - 03:37 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#89 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

@DarrenDreger: Needless to say, NHL teams are not happy with the leagues decision to let the Devils off the hook.

Haha, the other 29 teams can eat a dick.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#90 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Celebrate good times, CMON! That having been said, would it have been wiser to simply forfeit our 29th pick after we went to the Finals and draft normally this year? Hmm.....

240px-Al_Gore.png I will

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#91 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

@DarrenDreger: Needless to say, NHL teams are not happy with the leagues decision to let the Devils off the hook.

How are the Devils being taken off the hook?  We're not getting "our" pick back.  This is more like a compensation pick more than anything.

Edited by Mike Brown, 06 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#92 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Exactly

#93 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Maybe the other NHL teams should have their cap circumventing contracts evaluated and penalized accordingly, then.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#94 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

For the most part. The league warned the Devils that they had to review the contract and told the Devils to hold off on an announcement. The Devils pulled that big press conference I'm guessing to force the league's hand, and the NHL decided to take a stand.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#95 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Isn't hind site wonderful? We did get a guy with the 29th pick that seems to be working out positively in the AHL. Drafting is such a gamble especially within the Devils organization of late..

Maybe the other NHL teams should have their cap circumventing contracts evaluated and penalized accordingly, then.

You know that's not happening, the NHL just closed this matter.

#96 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,748 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Oh yeah, that sneaky Malahkov trade for Korolyuk right? Haha, yeah that was pretty bad.

They gave up a 1st round pick to make that happen.  I don't really see a problem with it and think that a similar trade would go through today.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#97 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

We won't know until we see what Matteau and the 2014 30th overall end up looking like. If you get 2 solid contributing NHLers out of it, and nothing amazing comes out of the area the Devils would have picked in this year, I guess it's for the best.

Lou also may have been hoping that the reduced penalty would be that we keep out 1st rounder and give up another 3rd or something. Probably some sort of calculated risk.

#98 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

For the most part. The league warned the Devils that they had to review the contract and told the Devils to hold off on an announcement. The Devils pulled that big press conference I'm guessing to force the league's hand, and the NHL decided to take a stand.

Yeah, the gun was loaded, the warning shot was fired, the message wasn't heard or disregarded, it happens every time, BOOM.

#99 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,115 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

They gave up a 1st round pick to make that happen.  I don't really see a problem with it and think that a similar trade would go through today.

The trade itself was questionable on its own, but it was getting Malahkov off the cap that season which raised flags too. Leave of absense, retirement, suspension, scare tactics? I don't think we ever found out exactly what happened, but it was convenient. 

I didn't even mention a healthy Matvichuk hanging out on LTIR the next season.

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 March 2014 - 04:10 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#100 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Forfeit Pick ‏@TStivali
The Devils got more from the league today than the Islanders got for Vanek

Lmfao!!!!

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic