273 replies to this topic

#241 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

I'll admit I'm not even going to watch this game. In the past, win or lose, I'll catch up on the game on DVR but I'm not going to waste my time tonight.

I am so tired of these guys and would love to see them moved on draft day. Ryder no goals in 18 games. Brunner no goals in 10 games. I get that these guys tend to run hot and cold but this is a bit ridiculous.

dont watch, it erase it fast, nothing good will come from seeing it,

#242 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

There are certain games you discuss goaltending, but tonight was just a pathetic hockey game by everyone but 4 guys. Brodeur..Schneider...it didn't matter, score would have been the same. Probably the worst the Devils have played in a very very long time.

Agreed completely with this, it was an awful game all around. Glad they have a chance to rebound quickly tonight, but, like everyone, my biggest fear is Marty getting unnecessary run as the starter/more playing time than he deserves with a win. I'd like to think PDB is wiser, but we'll see. 

At least Henrique continues to be a bright spot; I'm too lazy to go look it up but I remember seeing on the postgame he has something like 9 points in his last 5 games, 7 of which were goals. Love it. 

Edited by nmigliore, 08 March 2014 - 08:48 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#243 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

I'll admit I'm not even going to watch this game. In the past, win or lose, I'll catch up on the game on DVR but I'm not going to waste my time tonight.

I am so tired of these guys and would love to see them moved on draft day. Ryder no goals in 18 games. Brunner no goals in 10 games. I get that these guys tend to run hot and cold but this is a bit ridiculous.

There's a reason no other team offered Ryder 2 years and why Brunner was still unsigned into training camp. One of them needs to be moved this offseason. Much like picking up Ruutu, locking up mediocre players on a multi year contract is an issue Lou needs to explain.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#244 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

I am so tired of these guys and would love to see them moved on draft day. Ryder no goals in 18 games. Brunner no goals in 10 games. I get that these guys tend to run hot and cold but this is a bit ridiculous.

In fairness to Ryder, at least he's getting shots (46 in those 18 goal-less games) whereas Brunner isn't.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#245 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

There's a reason no other team offered Ryder 2 years and why Brunner was still unsigned into training camp. One of them needs to be moved this offseason. Much like picking up Ruutu, locking up mediocre players on a multi year contract is an issue Lou needs to explain.

Yeah but like it or not they did bring production at some point, and were still lacking. If we ship them were gonna be lacking even more.

www.SterioDesign.com

#246 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Ryder is paid to do one thing: put the puck in the net. otherwise hes generally useless (not very fast, losing puck battles, etc)

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#247 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

Well that was rough to watch. Good news is we're finding ways to put the puck in the net. If we play our usual game then we should easily be winning games when we score 3. I think Detroit just has a way to open the game up that our system can't compete against.

It will be very interesting to see how this team responds tonight.

#248 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

If you think Cory isn't that good and maybe the trade was a bad idea, then you deserve a worse Devils team and Marty starting 77 games next year. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#249 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

These are band-aid signings that Lou makes when players leave suddenly on him. Nieds left so he signed malakhov and mcgillis. Rafalski left so he signs lukowich.

This team feels like a patchwork team and this scoring by committee concept hasn't worked since 2005. We need top end talent, speed and youth and quick. I have no problems with a rebuild for 1-3 years but Lou seems to have an issue with it so we will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

We are now the New York rangers circa 98-2004.

#250 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Ryder is paid to do one thing: put the puck in the net. otherwise hes generally useless (not very fast, losing puck battles, etc)

guy misses the net a lot

#251 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

These are band-aid signings that Lou makes when players leave suddenly on him. Nieds left so he signed malakhov and mcgillis. Rafalski left so he signs lukowich.

This team feels like a patchwork team and this scoring by committee concept hasn't worked since 2005. We need top end talent, speed and youth and quick. I have no problems with a rebuild for 1-3 years but Lou seems to have an issue with it so we will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Come on, this is insane.  The Devils were forced to make these signings because they lost two 30 goal scorers in 12 months.  For all the crap Ryder gets (much of it is deserved) he'll still probably get 20 goals.  

The defense has plenty of youth, some would say too much, and there is more coming from Larsson, Severson and Santini.  

Henrique looks like a legit 20 goal scorer (which is something I would have been hesitant to say after last year), Boucher and Matteau are having nice first pro seasons. 

If you look at a lot of top end teams like LA, Boston and San Jose, they arent overly fast.  Teams like the Devils just have to establish their forecheck and cycle teams to death

#252 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Brodeur gets tomorrow, he was getting tomorrow even with a Schneider win. But Schneider has to play against Philly. Then you might go back to Marty vs Florida, depending on how he does tomorrow

Unless Marty ***** the bed tonight there's zero chance Schnieder's playing Tuesday.

Even then it's probably 50-50 at this point.

Come on, this is insane.  The Devils were forced to make these signings because they lost two 30 goal scorers in 12 months.  For all the crap Ryder gets (much of it is deserved) he'll still probably get 20 goals.  

The defense has plenty of youth, some would say too much, and there is more coming from Larsson, Severson and Santini.  

Henrique looks like a legit 20 goal scorer (which is something I would have been hesitant to say after last year), Boucher and Matteau are having nice first pro seasons. 

If you look at a lot of top end teams like LA, Boston and San Jose, they arent overly fast.  Teams like the Devils just have to establish their forecheck and cycle teams to death

Ryder's been a pro in this league for a decade.  I'm supposed to be surprised he's stinking up the joint when basically every other forward not named Jagr has vastly underperformed the last two years?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#253 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Unless Marty ***** the bed tonight there's zero chance Schnieder's playing Tuesday.

Even then it's probably 50-50 at this point.

Ryder's been a pro in this league for a decade.  I'm supposed to be surprised he's stinking up the joint when basically every other forward not named Jagr has vastly underperformed the last two years?

I don't think Elias has underperformed unless you believe he should still be a ppg forward at 37.  

In Zajac, you'd like to see a bit more offense from him, but he takes on the toughest assignments and comes out ahead most of the time.  Zubrus is getting older, CBGB has been overused, Henrique has been up and down.  In 2012, the Devils were spoiled in having Parise, Kovalchuk and Elias all performing well.  I would have like to see that team get another shot, but yeah

#254 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Another pathetic performence. This team really doesn't deserve to make the playoffs and they haven't been consistent enough all year to show that they can do it.
Another fun stats. Cory never gave up 7 goals in the nhl until this game.

#255 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

I don't think Elias has underperformed unless you believe he should still be a ppg forward at 37.  

In Zajac, you'd like to see a bit more offense from him, but he takes on the toughest assignments and comes out ahead most of the time.  Zubrus is getting older, CBGB has been overused, Henrique has been up and down.  In 2012, the Devils were spoiled in having Parise, Kovalchuk and Elias all performing well.  I would have like to see that team get another shot, but yeah

Elias's numbers this year have been pumped up by this recent five-game stretch.  Before the break he wasn't exactly lighting it up.  Same with Henrique for that matter.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#256 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Elias's numbers this year have been pumped up by this recent five-game stretch.  Before the break he wasn't exactly lighting it up.

Elias is 37 and has been battling injuries all year.  Obviously he is on a hot streak and won't continue on a torrid pace, but he certainly is playing his best hockey of the year

#257 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Lukowich and Rafalski were both on the 06-07 team.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#258 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

Lukowich and Rafalski were both on the 06-07 team.

Ok bad memory so I stand corrected.

My point still stands about this current team. It's a patchwork team made up of fill ins and plan B's. No way with a majority if this core can they compete for the cup even if they by some chance make the playoffs.

#259 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Ryder is getting his shots, not worried about him next year in the slightest.  You want to move one of those guys, fine, but you've got exactly 0 coming up behind them unless you want to move Boucher to RW.

Tough game, but the Wings made most of their shots and NJ was totally unable to defend in the neutral zone - I don't know what went on there but it was ugly.  Merrill was a complete disaster, Salvador was Salvador, Gelinas was Gelinas - that was the game.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#260 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Ok bad memory so I stand corrected.

My point still stands about this current team. It's a patchwork team made up of fill ins and plan B's. No way with a majority if this core can they compete for the cup even if they by some chance make the playoffs.

Nothing wrong with that, and I am not sure you are complaining about the moves other than stating the truth. When you sign a guy like Ryder or Brunner or Lukowich (who was quite solid here) to short contracts, it's usually low risk and low reward.

Personally, I don't think there is a bad thing as a 2-year free agent deal. If they aren't good, it's two years. No biggie. Better than going in on July 1st desperate to overpay any of the top 5 guys in a weak class like many teams were ready to do with Clarkson.

Unfortunately, Lou missed out on the best 2-year bargain of the off-season in Clarke MaCarthur.

As for Ryder, this is who he is. You just hope to get one good season and one bad one. http://www.hockey-re.../rydermi01.html

The Devils have gotten the best and worst of Ryder all in one season.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users