119 replies to this topic

#21 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

TG questioned PDB as much as anyone will and that's where the "i don't look at save percentage" comment came from.

pete looks at wins marty has 15 in 30 games. cory has 12 in 33. it's ludicrous and stupid but that's what he's looking at.

Pete is going to use whatever statistic fits to situation rather than say Lou is calling the shots re: Marty's play.

#22 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Marty has always been whinny. He masks it as if he is a team player, he has always been about Marty.

His true colors are showing and fans are getting pissed.

Edited by LucifersDog, 07 March 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#23 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

i couldve sworn i read a quotesomewhere where marty said yesterday that theres someone to blame, but its not Schneider or something like that but i cant find it now

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/devils_martin_brodeur_had_a_feeling_he_wouldnt_be_traded_happy_to_stay_in_new_jersey.html

"I've never had a bad relationship with any guy I've ever played with. Ever! Regardless of the amount of ice time I've had or other guys didn't have. There was never friction. I understand this is a coach's decision. But if I have anyone to blame, I won't blame it on Cory.. that's for sure. I'll blame it on somebody else first." --Brodeur

I took this as a shot @ Lou, for blindsiding Marty with the Schneider trade, with 1 year still left on Brodeur's contract.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#24 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Well -- if I want to be thinned skinned about it, Marty for sure intended to imply he'd rather be on playoff team and he doesn't see this team getting there.  He makes it sound like he asked for the trade because the Devils weren't committed to winning. Clearly, he feels if they were, he'd be seeing more ice time.  That's the worst take I can put on his quote.

But the reality of it is, he wants to paint himself as someone who is in control.  In control of his career and being held back unfairly from taking control of his life on the ice.

Dude is not in control of several things and he has to admit this - he can't regain control until he faces certain facts.  He doesn't not have control of his sight.  He does not have control of his reaction time.  He does not have control of his body.  These things are going to do what they want, not what he wishes they'd do.  They have changed and to have a few good years left you have to take time to change with them and not do it in the limelight squealing about how others are stopping you from doing what you've got to do. 

You play on your own time if you don't get the start.  If you need to play every game to keep in your groove, you find a way to recreate it.  You can't learn on ice it's costing the team and that can't happen.  The team can't afford for you to find some groove you have no concept of how to find.  After 40 nothing "just clicks"  Just trust people Marty.  Just trust people.  They never lied to you before - they dont think old guy can't cut it they SEE OLD GUY CAN'T CUT IT.  So trust them PLEASE. You are the one betraying a trust no one else.

Guys are so NOT like women.  All his buddies see the way things are but know how guys are and think poor guy is just fvcked.  they dnt help him out and try to help him through it -- they just assume he won't hear.  because he's a dude.  Has Jagr said -- this is why I went to overseas - to make a nice transition away from the spotlight.  Marty you can't do that.  You're not a forward.  You're a goalie -- you have nothing that anyone will LET you hide behind.  There is no more Stevens Dano Neidermayer to cover your ass in transition periods or weak moments.  and you're NO HELP refusing to admit weakness.

whatever.  People are frustrated at your lack of trust and refusal to see YOU are the betrayer here.  No one has betrayed you except that they gave you all the rope you asked for. 

Man you know...  exhausting. 

PK...have you been classified by a psychiatrist?  Because let me tell you brother, your posts are as vague as an Edgar Allen Poe piece.  Half the time I have no clue how to read your posts with any type of concreteness.  No offense man, just my observation.  Keep on postin man...lol

#25 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

Admittedly, the last round of quotes were hard to take.  Marty really seems to come off like it's all about him right now.  I can't blame him for it entirely because Lou and PDB seem to be playing right into it, for reasons I can't grasp at all.  Funny, Lou was the last GM on Earth that I thought would allow a faded star to Messier his way into having too much power and too much say, but that's what's happening, and I can't believe that it actually is. 

One guy has an .884 save% in his last 16 starts and has given up 3+ goals 10 times in that stretch.

The other one has a .937 save% in his last 16 starts and has given 3+ goals twice. 

Is it too much to ask the beat guys to question Lou and PDB about this, why they seem to either be oblivious to this, or at the very least, seem very willing to ignore it?  Because I need this explained to me, how a guy whose play is clearly been among the worst as of late gets the same treatment as the guy whose play is just as clearly among the best.  Hell, if Marty was in the .900-.910 range somewhere over his last 16, I could at least understand it a little, but .884 is fvcking terrible, and there's no way to polish that one to make it look better than it really is.   

That’s what i was thinking, why isn't TG or anyone putting it to them like that.

Frustrating!!!

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/devils_martin_brodeur_had_a_feeling_he_wouldnt_be_traded_happy_to_stay_in_new_jersey.html

"I've never had a bad relationship with any guy I've ever played with. Ever! Regardless of the amount of ice time I've had or other guys didn't have. There was never friction. I understand this is a coach's decision. But if I have anyone to blame, I won't blame it on Cory.. that's for sure. I'll blame it on somebody else first." --Brodeur

I took this as a shot @ Lou, for blindsiding Marty with the Schneider trade, with 1 year still left on Brodeur's contract.

I'm not sure how to read that one, honestly.  It's a bit vague.  Though if Marty was going for what you were suggesting, what did he think Lou was supposed to do, not improve the team for the present and the future when a great opportunity presented itself?

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

It's all about the wins. Can't wait to see this place if we lose tonight and win tomorrow and Marty gets the ball again. 

15 wins in 30 starts vs. 12 wins in 34 starts. Take every other stat and cram them. 

Because there is just no way anyone should expect that to continue.  Brodeur's not the cause.  If this had played out the other way, with Schneider getting the goal support, NJ would be sitting in a playoff spot right now because Schneider would've played more, he's a better goalie, and he gives the Devils a better chance to win on any given night.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

If Marty was going for what you were suggesting, what did he think Lou was supposed to do, not improve the team for the present and the future when a great opportunity presented itself?

..to be fair CR.. is this the situation that Marty signed up for 2 years ago?

I'm not saying Marty's right, but if there's animosity between Lou & Brodeur because of it.. can't you somewhat see Brodeur's point? He signed on thinking Lou would honor Henberg's contract. Johan & Marty signed roughly at the same time. 

If Moose was still on the team this year.. does Marty have 30 starts, or 60?

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

I'm not saying Marty's right, but if there's animosity between Lou & Brodeur because of it.. can't you somewhat see Brodeur's point? He signed on thinking Lou would honor Henberg's contract. Johan & Marty signed roughly at the same time. 

Marty gets paid the same amount of money either way, he can deal with it.  If he doesn't see that Lou is trying to improve the team, he's not worth having on the team.  HOI is right, there were a billion better ways to handle this, but for some reason Brodeur thinks that he's sitting because ... I don't know why.  I don't think Brodeur knows why he isn't playing more, and that's the saddest part.  He's delusional.

Edited by Triumph, 07 March 2014 - 11:17 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#30 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

I'm getting sick of hearing about this.

DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#31 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

can we stop with the "wins" arguement. 29 teams just showed what they think of broduer as an NHL backup. thats reality hitting home.  yet he comes off the same day , after getting EMBARRASSED on the national stage, and plays a power move. just unreal! 

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Marty has to realize the team is bigger than him.  Hedberg was awful last season (as we know, sometimes guys his age lose it seemingly overnight) and clearly could not be given another year in net.  Marty had to understand that Moose had to go, as it was clearly best for the team.  The guy was simply not an NHL goaltender anymore, and I've got to think Marty could see that.   

I can't see Marty's point because I think he was given a very fair chance to play for much of the season, at Cory's expense...it's not like Lou brought Cory in and said, "OK Marty, you're pretty much the backup now."  It took Cory basically playing among the very best for him to get the run he deserved, and one meh start against the Sharks has somehow put Marty and Cory on equal footing again, and it's truly bewildering. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#33 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

i feel bad for Marty here. a lot of this stems from the outdoor game when he was hung out to dry on all those 2 and 3 on 1s.

Totally agree.   He carried us early in the season

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#34 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

PK...have you been classified by a psychiatrist?  Because let me tell you brother, your posts are as vague as an Edgar Allen Poe piece.  Half the time I have no clue how to read your posts with any type of concreteness.  No offense man, just my observation.  Keep on postin man...lol

hahaha

What it said was : Marty!  YOU'RE OLD!  ACCEPT IT!  Accept it and work within those confines ---  or die a painful career-death in the media.

The reason I put all those other words in: 

1) I'm a  chick 

2) I'm old.  I understand what that means. If anyone younger than 40 says "Dude you're old" he has no idea what he's talking about in any specific way - just a vague "hey I put on a few pounds myself" way.  It's not at all the same as when you really start to age and it is biologically IMPOSSIBLE for things to get back to the way they were.  When your reading eyes go -- THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!  Hard work and eye exercises will not get your sight back.  Other things like your reaction time, will not magically come back once it's gone.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 07 March 2014 - 11:35 AM.

I'm here for the party

#35 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

I bet Marty would rather miss the playoffs altogether if he knew Cory was going to be the starter. Just sad. 

#36 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Totally agree.   He carried us early in the season

He had one terrific good 10-game run from 10/26 to 11/25, and it was a lot of fun to watch for sure...probably his last hurrah, as far as playing well goes for a decent stretch goes.  He's been pretty bad otherwise. 

#30 FOREVER!

#37 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I wish he would just accept the team cannot afford to wait for him to hit on a good streak.  Streaky is not an option - it's his job to work around that not the teams job to be patient with him. 

and I HATE that quote -- I'm not going to be mad at Cory I'm going to mad an SOMEONE ELSE.

YOURSELF YOU DUMB sh!t!  BE MAD AT YOURSELF!  :rant:

Sure Marty isn't that bad -- but not so bad isn't an option on ANY professional sports team much less a struggling one. 

Inconsistent has NEVER been an option - why must the team be patient wiht his finding his groove?  Why shoudl the present make way for the faded past?  It's illogical.  I HATE how he's saying he refuses to accept personal responsibility. 

CONSISTENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE DEVILS WAY!!!  It's not some big surprise.   <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn, 07 March 2014 - 11:47 AM.

I'm here for the party

#38 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

So much drama.

I seriously hope he doesn't drag his feet here and make this an ugly situation.

Just so frustrating that he's apparently too headstrong to realize what's actually going on in front of him. 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#39 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I wish he would just accept the team cannot afford to wait for him to hit on a good streak.  Streaky is not an option - it's his job to work around that not the teams job to be patient with him. 

and I HATE that quote -- I'm not going to be mad at Cory I'm going to mad an SOMEONE ELSE.

YOURSELF YOU DUMB sh!t!  BE MAD AT YOURSELF!  :rant:

Sure Marty isn't that bad -- but not so bad isn't an option on ANY professional sports team much less a struggling one. 

Inconsistent has NEVER been an option - why must the team be patient wiht his finding his groove?  Why shoudl the present make way for the faded past?  It's illogical.

Actually, for much of the season he really has been bad.  Goal support has been his best friend. 

#30 FOREVER!

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

I bet Marty would rather miss the playoffs altogether if he knew Cory was going to be the starter. Just sad. 

so true -- and he won't accept that it's HIM.  His body his skills are the reason he's NOT winning games.

sad?  man, sad doesn't even start especially with his own lack of patience with others.  We never saw Marty as a ME guy because he didnt' have to be -- everyone was a Marty guy... now that no one is we see how self-centered and blind to his own faults the dude really is.  an no one is going to help him out of this by telling him the hard truth in a way he HAS to hear it.

what's funny is Marty is that guy -- he's that guy who tells it like it is in his friendly happy go lucky way.

Marty woudl say about Marty:  I donno.  I'm not the guy - you know?  and it's hard... it's hard to, you know, not be where you expect to be in your career. For someone.  It's a hard thing.  Do you blame the guy ?  No.  But it's kind of sad.  I'm sad for him.  You just hope he can... work things out for himself. You know?  What can you say?"

Edited by Pepperkorn, 07 March 2014 - 11:57 AM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users