343 replies to this topic

#141 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

$115 seems kinda steep for 417, but it is opening day... And yeah, that '98 season was just ugly all around for Marino. It was clear he was at the end at that point, even though we still made the playoffs that season, and even though he played another year after that. I agree about Brady being a better battler than Bledsoe- Brady is extremely mentally tough, which helps to make him who he is. Gonna be a tough game for us, as it always is when we play the Pats. Can't wait.

The tix are a lot more at Gillette (I'm usually around $200 or slightly less per ticket).  $115 feels like a bargain compared to what I'm used to paying.   

Yeah, didn't end pretty for Marino, but not too many guys see it end that way...see Brodeur, Martin.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#142 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

The tix are a lot more at Gillette (I'm usually around $200 or slightly less per ticket). $115 feels like a bargain compared to what I'm used to paying.

Yeah, didn't end pretty for Marino, but not too many guys see it end that way...see Brodeur, Martin.

See the difference between Marty and Dan is this though: Dan knew he was done. He knew the tank was empty. He even had an offer to go to Minnesota to join up with Carter and Moss for a chance at a Super Bowl. Dan turned them down because he A) said it was more important to him to play his whole career in one uniform and be a Dolphin- and only a Dolphin- for life and B). He didn't think he had it in him to play at the level he expected of himself. I don't have to get into the Marty situation lol. He's basically at the complete opposite end of the spectrum in all cases here (including having already won multiple championships and still wanting to play, while Marino had no championships and didn't wanna be a ring chaser with another franchise).
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#143 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

I was only drawing the comparison with regards to level of play at the end of their careers, at a very general level.  Just on the field/on the ice stuff.  Was more just making a loose point that so few players get to go out like John Elway. 

I was never a huge Marino guy, but I really felt for him in that 62-7 embarrassment.  Unless one just flat-out despises Marino, it's hard to see a guy like him go out like that.  All of '99 was hard to watch, re:  Marino.  The game against Dallas that year (his first game back after having missed about a month) was also a rough one.   

I won't clog up a Dolphin thread with more Marty talk, but sadly it looks like the league (and this was always a very real possibility) is making the decision for Marty.  It'd be great if he would just announce his retirement in the next month or so, but I think he'll still be hoping for a call. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 August 2014 - 03:36 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#144 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

Fins signed Brady Quinn. I think Matt Moore could be on the way out with that $4 million cap hit.

#145 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Looks like Quinn will be the 3rd guy, Pat Devlin waived. Either that or only two QB's on the 53.

Edited by MadDog2020, 11 August 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#146 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

I was only drawing the comparison with regards to level of play at the end of their careers, at a very general level. Just on the field/on the ice stuff. Was more just making a loose point that so few players get to go out like John Elway.

I was never a huge Marino guy, but I really felt for him in that 62-7 embarrassment. Unless one just flat-out despises Marino, it's hard to see a guy like him go out like that. All of '99 was hard to watch, re: Marino. The game against Dallas that year (his first game back after having missed about a month) was also a rough one.

I won't clog up a Dolphin thread with more Marty talk, but sadly it looks like the league (and this was always a very real possibility) is making the decision for Marty. It'd be great if he would just announce his retirement in the next month or so, but I think he'll still be hoping for a call.

Yeah 62-7 was one of the worst days I've ever had as a sports fan. It killed me to see my favorite player of all-time go out like that. What was nice was he did win a playoff game that year, despite it being a bad final season for him. His last win was in a playoff game, so that gives me some solace lol. But Dan Marino is the main reason I became a Dolphins fan. That Jacksonville game was pretty much as painful as it got, as both a Dolphins and a Marino fan. A game I wish I could remove from my memory, along with games 6 and 7 of the 2001 Cup Final.

Edited by MadDog2020, 11 August 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#147 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Yeah, a very good friend of mine is a HUGE Dolphin fan...he was actually the guy who came with me to Miami in '97 and '98...we even toyed with the idea of, had the Pats lost in '97, staying in Miami to watch the wild card playoff game (don't know if you remember, but the Pats and Dolphins were locked into facing each other in the WC round that season...whoever won the final regular-season matchup would host the game).  Since the Pats won, the WC was then played in NE, so we didn't stay in Miami for another weekend. 

I was actually out shopping for furniture during the 62-7 loss, but heard radio "highlights" as I was driving around.  I felt horrible for my friend.  He is just as into Marino as you are, and I know that loss was really hard for him to take. 

Like you with Marino's last playoff win making his exit a little easier, for me it's Marty's last 50 games of the 2012 season (including playoffs)...especially outplaying Lundqvist in the ECF.  It's rarely been pretty since, but at least he still a nice vintage Marty run near the end.

#30 FOREVER!

#148 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Fins signed Brady Quinn. I think Matt Moore could be on the way out with that $4 million cap hit.

If Matt Moore is released, I hope Doug Whaley and Buffalo scoop him up, we need a good backup in case EJ falters.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#149 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Highly doubt anything is happening with Moore now Clown, not after that performance the other night. He may have a high cap hit, but you need a good back-up. Plus Quinn is awful, he isn't making the team. We'll most likely roll with Moore as the back-up and probably put Lobato on the PS.

#150 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,836 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Important thing to note....the practice squad is upped to 10 players now this season....so plenty of room to stuff a project QB there....

amazing how the ACTUAL news gets buried while the NFL slimes on and is now trying to charge acts for the right to perform their sh!tty songs at the Super Bowl now.....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#151 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Important thing to note....the practice squad is upped to 10 players now this season....so plenty of room to stuff a project QB there....

amazing how the ACTUAL news gets buried while the NFL slimes on and is now trying to charge acts for the right to perform their sh!tty songs at the Super Bowl now.....

The whole Super Bowl halftime show thing is fvcked up. Not only is the league asking these acts to pay for the privilege of playing halftime, they're asking the acts to give them a portion of their post-Super Bowl earnings as well. Who the fvck does Roger Goodell think he is, the fvcking IRS? Someone needs to put the NFL in its place... They're out of control.

Edited by MadDog2020, 20 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#152 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

The whole Super Bowl halftime show thing is fvcked up. Not only is the league asking these acts to pay for the privilege of playing halftime, they're asking the acts to give them a portion of their post-Super Bowl earnings as well. Who the fvck does Roger Goodell think he is, the fvcking IRS? Someone needs to put the NFL in its place... They're out of control.

I'd be delighted if Goodell's overreaching scares off the half time Super Bowl acts.  Without exception, they're incredibly cheesy.  I would rather them just get on with the actual game. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#153 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,836 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Between this and auctioning off the location of the draft...and this England garbage and sh!tty Thursday Night games...it's sad the NFL is more about maxing out the dollars and not making the game as good as possible....and Jesus they make an insane amount of money as is....JUST MAINTAIN THE DAMN PRODUCT!!!

I'd be delighted if Goodell's overreaching scares off the half time Super Bowl acts.  Without exception, they're incredibly cheesy.  I would rather them just get on with the actual game. 

It won't though....and silly you....the NFL's not about football anymore :P

Look at the overreaction to OMG A DEFENSIVE TEAM WON THE SUPER BOWL...NOOOOO....we might lose $5 in jersey sales :P

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#154 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

The Goddell treatment of defense, as though the concept of playing it is somehow a 4-letter word, is getting VERY hard to take.  I understand player safety and the fact that the game can't go back to the 90s and before, but the balance can't be any more out-of-whack than it is right now.

#30 FOREVER!

#155 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Between this and auctioning off the location of the draft...and this England garbage and sh!tty Thursday Night games...it's sad the NFL is more about maxing out the dollars and not making the game as good as possible....and Jesus they make an insane amount of money as is....JUST MAINTAIN THE DAMN PRODUCT!!!

It won't though....and silly you....the NFL's not about football anymore :P

Look at the overreaction to OMG A DEFENSIVE TEAM WON THE SUPER BOWL...NOOOOO....we might lose $5 in jersey sales :P

Maybe Mark Cuban will turn out to be right that there's a type NFL bubble that will pop once it's too overexposed.  Goodell better hope that fantasy football doesn't lose its appeal . . . I figure that drives a large chunk of the ratings and the value of the Sunday Ticket.  

As for the on the field stuff, a little common sense could go a long way.  You can protect QBs and still not force the refs to call a personal foul when a lineman's arm incidentally brazes the QBs helmet.  You can really cut down on the amount of time it takes to review a call by having all reviews done in the booth.  If the play-by-play and color commentators can figure out what happened in 20 seconds, I don't see why it takes so long on the field. 

I don't really care about auctioning off the draft so much.  I just HATE, and I mean HATE with every inch of my being, the fact that the first day of the draft looks like a Beyonce concert.  That's probably an ESPN issue more than a Goodell issue, but Goodell could probably do something about that if he wanted to.  (ESPN for the most part is a huge joke these days anyway.  Any business concern, much less any viewer with an IQ above 60, that finds Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith remotely sentient is really out to lunch.)

One last thing the NFL, the networks, or perhaps the United States government could do to restore my faith in humanity would be to outlaw under penalty of death the on-the-field bimbos.  EARTH TO CORPORATE EXECUTIVES, I don't give a rat's ass about Suzy Kolber getting a complete non-answer from the head coach about what he has to do differently after being down 35 to 3 at halftime.  And, we all know that someone is feeling great and "having all sorts of emotions" going through him after winning the Super Bowl.   

I can't promise that this rant is over.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#156 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,836 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

The Goddell treatment of defense, as though the concept of playing it is somehow a 4-letter word, is getting VERY hard to take.  I understand player safety and the fact that the game can't go back to the 90s and before, but the balance can't be any more out-of-whack than it is right now.

He does realize by taking away this "illegal" contact, he's making the game faster and MORE dangerous....nope....clearly not.....this is not a safety thing...not even close....this is video game scoring at its worst.....

Maybe Mark Cuban will turn out to be right that there's a type NFL bubble that will pop once it's too overexposed.  Goodell better hope that fantasy football doesn't lose its appeal . . . I figure that drives a large chunk of the ratings and the value of the Sunday Ticket.  

As for the on the field stuff, a little common sense could go a long way.  You can protect QBs and still not force the refs to call a personal foul when a lineman's arm incidentally brazes the QBs helmet.  You can really cut down on the amount of time it takes to review a call by having all reviews done in the booth.  If the play-by-play and color commentators can figure out what happened in 20 seconds, I don't see why it takes so long on the field. 

I don't really care about auctioning off the draft so much.  I just HATE, and I mean HATE with every inch of my being, the fact that the first day of the draft looks like a Beyonce concert.  That's probably an ESPN issue more than a Goodell issue, but Goodell could probably do something about that if he wanted to.  (ESPN for the most part is a huge joke these days anyway.  Any business concern, much less any viewer with an IQ above 60, that finds Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith remotely sentient is really out to lunch.)

One last thing the NFL, the networks, or perhaps the United States government could do to restore my faith in humanity would be to outlaw under penalty of death the on-the-field bimbos.  EARTH TO CORPORATE EXECUTIVES, I don't give a rat's ass about Suzy Kolber getting a complete non-answer from the head coach about what he has to do differently after being down 35 to 3 at halftime.  And, we all know that someone is feeling great and "having all sorts of emotions" going through him after winning the Super Bowl.   

I can't promise that this rant is over.

its not even close to over....its only going to get worse....the main reason the NFL is so popular is two fold:

1. Fantasy Football

2. GAMBLING

next is because it's still an "event" to see a game once a week...but kill the market with Thursday (those games are always horrible anyway, and again...what's the safety in not giving players the proper time to heal.....douche....), Monday and Sunday....the over-expansion of the playoffs....and an attempt to invade London too....its insanity....

Cuban is 10,000% right about the NFL...they're pushing the gas too hard when its cruise control time.....

#157 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

He does realize by taking away this "illegal" contact, he's making the game faster and MORE dangerous....nope....clearly not.....this is not a safety thing...not even close....this is video game scoring at its worst.....

its not even close to over....its only going to get worse....the main reason the NFL is so popular is two fold:

1. Fantasy Football

2. GAMBLING

next is because it's still an "event" to see a game once a week...but kill the market with Thursday (those games are always horrible anyway, and again...what's the safety in not giving players the proper time to heal.....douche....), Monday and Sunday....the over-expansion of the playoffs....and an attempt to invade London too....its insanity....

Cuban is 10,000% right about the NFL...they're pushing the gas too hard when its cruise control time.....

Expanding the playoffs would be close to the nail in the coffin.  Even without it, the friggin' Green Bay fvcking Packers had trouble selling out a playoff game.  Imagine if you have a playoff match up of an 8-8 versus a 7-9 team. 

It'll become sort of like what happened the last time the Yankees were in the playoffs when the stadium had large swathes of empty seats for playoff games and the effect it's had since then.  Once you see a lot of empty seats at a playoff game, enough people start to get it in the back of their mind that the emperor has no clothes.  I'm predicting that once the Yankees don't have Derek Jeter as a quasi-interesting story line, you'll start seeing the stadium as empty as it used to be in the 80s and early 90s when you had to go the stadium in a Bradley fighting vehicle.  Add to that the Yankees don't figure to be good for a while, and you realize it's going to get pretty ugly. 

Posted Image

#158 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Cuban is absolutely 1,000% right- the NFL is over-extending itself now. You're a billion dollar business. The lowest valued franchise is worth just under a billion dollars now (The Rams, whose value will greatly exceed the $930 or so million its at now once they move back to LA). Its time to pump the brakes. But nooooooooo, big bad Roger won't stop until he's completely destroyed the game and the league, and turned both into parodies of themselves. Because that's what he's doing at this point. It appears we're stuck with this a$$hole until he retires or drops dead though- he's made the owners so much damn money, its comical. He could probably burn down the mansions of all 32 owners and still not get fired.

#159 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,836 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Cuban is absolutely 1,000% right- the NFL is over-extending itself now. You're a billion dollar business. The lowest valued franchise is worth just under a billion dollars now (The Rams, whose value will greatly exceed the $930 or so million its at now once they move back to LA). Its time to pump the brakes. But nooooooooo, big bad Roger won't stop until he's completely destroyed the game and the league, and turned both into parodies of themselves. Because that's what he's doing at this point. It appears we're stuck with this a$$hole until he retires or drops dead though- he's made the owners so much damn money, its comical. He could probably burn down the mansions of all 32 owners and still not get fired.

Truth.....and sadly the TV and revenue dollars will keep pouring in while the quality of the product goes to sh!t.....

#160 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

BradyQuinn_zps10ff5e52.png

http://www.nfl.com/n...cut-by-dolphins

..looks as though Brady Quinn's career has come to a close. Shame too.. only 29 years old, I thought he'd make it as a back-up somewhere.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users