Check out what the Devils front office just sent me along with my play

Satans Hockey

I've been a loyal Devils fans since I was young, I've had full season tickets since 2002, I've spent tons of money on this Devils team. I take my mother to games who is in her late 60s. Between her and my work schedule we need to know in advance the schedule, last year with the lockout I could attend around 4 to 5 games so I sold as many as I could cause our schedules didnt work with the new lockout shortened season. I barely broke even on almost all of the games except the big names.

Now mind you, this season, I have sold 3 games, nowhere near 50% of the home games this year.  October 19th vs Rangers and November 16th because I went to concerts instead and December 31st against the Penguins, a weekday afternoon game because I had to work. I've been at and attended every other home game this year.

I know I have must have received this letter by mistake but I am so irriate and pissed off about this nonsense that I may very well be done as a Devils season ticket holder. Firstly if I choose to do something else or cant make it should be my right to sell off the tickets.

I feel completely slapped in the face and disrespected by this organization.

Here is what the letter says...

"Please note that we are also making important changes to our season ticket program for the 2014-15 season. We will no longer generally be offering season tickets to accounts, such as yours, that our records show have engaged in the resale of tickets for 50% or more of the home games that have been played thus far during the 2013-14 Season.

If you beleive that you have received this letter in error, and that during the 2013-14 season the tickets on your account were used by you personally for more than 50% of such games rather than resold please email Eric Kussin, our Vice Presdient of Ticket Sales and Service, at ekussin@newjerseydevils.com and use the subject line: "Account Clarification." Eric will then contact you to discuss your account.

We have invested significant resources in analyzing the secondary market to help us manage ticket inventory and stablize the market. Our new ticket policies are designed to maximize value to our personal-use Season Ticket Holders and continue growing our fan base. As a result, we will  be closely monitoring and flagging ticket barcodes associated with the defined resale activity beginning with the release of the 2014-15 NHL season schedule. We will take available steps with respect to those accounts determined not to be in complianace with the new ticket policy, including disabling ticket barcodes.

We appreciate your past support and understanding of the reasoning behind this change in policy and hope you will consider joining the many hardcore Devils fans that regularly attend games as a personal buyer. We also hope to see you at the arena during the teams run toward the 2014 playoffs.

Sincerely,

Hugh Webner

President

The bolded and underlined part is what pisses me off more then anything else. A die hard fan doesn't mean you can make it to every single game. There are plenty of you guys and girls on this message board who are die hards and support this team throughout every game.

Who the fvck do the Devils think they are fooling with this bullsh!t? Have they seen the crowds this year? There isn't a waiting list to buy tickets.

This organization needs a dose of reality.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Yeah uh, stupid question but how would they know if you're not the one using the tickets?

And disabling barcodes next season? So they're penalizing people for selling on their own secondary market?! That's rich. Or are they just doing it for StubHub sales (more likely)?

Do the Devils get a cut of the sales through that NHL Ticket Exchange?  Because if they do, I can see why they're trying to force StubHub out of the equation.

Not a big deal, man, clearly you received this in error. Call the guy, get it cleared it up. They're clearly not addressing this to you or most of us here. It's very HARD to be someone who sells 50% of their season's tickets; it pretty much has to be a StubHub scalper or some type of ticket reseller, or they mistakenly had you kept on some "red flag" list from last season or something...

I wouldn't put too much stock into it, just call the guy and clear it up.

Yeah uh, stupid question but how would they know if you're not the one using the tickets?

Do the Devils get a cut of the sales through that NHL Ticket Exchange?  Because if they do, I can see why they're trying to force StubHub out of the equation.

Possible, although I doubt it's just that. I think the more tickets that end up on StubHub for $15, the fewer people interested in looking into season ticket packages. I think they're clearly just going after StubHub people, not people who share a season ticket package among 3/4 people or people who sell on TicketExchange. I mean, can you help but question the motives of people getting rid of 50% or more of their season tickets?

Edited by DJ Eco

What's funny is that they have no problems with you going through TE, but StubHub is a big no-no.  Basically they are trying to maximize their own profits and the whole trying to maximize the STH "value" is nonsense.

Another example is I received an email about a day or 2 ago about upcoming college nights.  Below is copy and pasted exactly from the email right below where they listed the pricing:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Devils will be monitoring the secondary market. Any seats purchased through this special offer that are found to be posted for resale on any secondary market site will be cancelled immediately by the Devils, and the email addresses of the original purchasers will be removed from future offers.

They are really going overboard with this nonsense now.  We are the Devils, not one of the big market teams that sells out every night.

Not a big deal, man, clearly you received this in error. Call the guy, get it cleared it up. They're clearly not addressing this to you or most of us here. It's very HARD to be someone who sells 50% of their season's tickets; it pretty much has to be a StubHub scalper or some type of ticket reseller, or they mistakenly had you kept on some "red flag" list from last season or something...

I wouldn't put too much stock into it, just call the guy and clear it up.

Possible, although I doubt it's just that. I think the more tickets that end up on StubHub for $15, the fewer people interested in looking into season ticket packages. I think they're clearly just going after StubHub people, not people who share a season ticket package among 3/4 people or people who sell on TicketExchange. I mean, can you help but question the motives of people getting rid of 50% or more of their season tickets?

I'm sure it will get cleared up as well but that's not the point. How many ticket brokers do they really think they have? Ticket brokers buy and sell tickets to make money and other then a few matchups you would be losing a good amount of money overall on having Devils season tickets.

Having Devils season tickets has never and probably never will be a "good investment"

Their attention and focus on this is ridicilious.

I'm sure it will get cleared up as well but that's not the point. How many ticket brokers do they really think they have? Ticket brokers buy and sell tickets to make money and other then a few matchups you would be losing a good amount of money overall on having Devils season tickets.

Having Devils season tickets has never and probably never will be a "good investment"

Yeah, I guess I agree. This should be the least of their worries lol... And msweet's right:

They are your tickets to do as you please. This is outrageous.

The bolded part is especially true and this is the part that the marketing/ticketing team is failing at.  This is not a major market team and it took JVB to practically giving away tickets (as well as having a couple of star players and a trip the finals) to sell out the place.  They can throw in whatever prizes and cheap BBQ events all they want but you will never still get the "full market value" of the tickets.  Buying season tickets to the Devils is a labor of love more than anything else.

It's unfortunate this is what businesses have to stoop to- I'm sure all of these owners are free market proponents when the government tries to limit their opportunities, but when it's a fan just trying to get in the door to support a team that he bleeds red for, all of a sudden we need to regulate the market to maximize profit.

If a lot of tickets are being re-sold on stubhub the only thing the organization should take away is that their tickets are overpriced. Bring your price down to what the market demands and you won't have this problem.

My guess is that in addition to wanting a cut of the secondary market, the Devils want all the personal info that they would have on a season ticket holder that they would not get from someone who sells the majority of tickets.  They made a big push about this early.  But yeah, it's a terrible idea to do it like this.

The bolded part is especially true and this is the part that the marketing/ticketing team is failing at.  This is not a major market team and it took JVB to practically giving away tickets (as well as having a couple of star players and a trip the finals) to sell out the place.  They can throw in whatever prizes and cheap BBQ events all they want but you will never still get the "full market value" of the tickets.  Buying season tickets to the Devils is a labor of love more than anything else.

EXACTLY

You might have received that email in error.

But I would think that only a big market team that sells out every game and has a waiting list for season tickets can pull something like this. They should be happy someone wants to be a season ticket holder in a small market.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

It's unfortunate this is what businesses have to stoop to- I'm sure all of these owners are free market proponents when the government tries to limit their opportunities, but when it's a fan just trying to get in the door to support a team that he bleeds red for, all of a sudden we need to regulate the market to maximize profit.

If a lot of tickets are being re-sold on stubhub the only thing the organization should take away is that their tickets are overpriced. Bring your price down to what the market demands and you won't have this problem.

They won't sell lowers for in the $30's and uppers for $10-$15 for midweek games vs sh!t opponents

That is what the MARKET commands

That guy Eric is a complete tool, and this is his initiative

The sooner the team gets rid of this asshat, the better

Yesterday wouldn't have been soon enough

And I don't give a sh!t that I started the Devils Supporter Section which turned into the Diablos, it doesn't make me a better fan then anyone else but a little common sense should have come into play here with someone saying "hey the guy who thought of that section and promoted people to buy Devils tickets for it during one of our worst seaons in recent history probably isn't a real ticket broker"

I have been traveling a lot this year and have sold a bunch of games.. getting that letter would really pvss me off. They are your tickets to do as you please. This is outrageous.

Agreed...I mean I get if you sell like thirty or more out of forty pairs then clearly that's broker-type activity but still like others have said it's not like where we have some waiting list for season tickets where they can pull this anyway.  Or that you can even profit from selling Devil regular season games unless you only sell Ranger/Penguin/Flyer games.  They really seem to have gotten cocky from their 'increased season ticket' numbers the last two years, I think they'll be in for a rude awakening this offseason.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You might have received that email in error.

But I would think that only a big market team that sells out every game and has a waiting list for season tickets can pull something like this. They should be happy someone wants to be a season ticket holder in a small market.

I was labeled as broker last season during the lockout. The new schedule didn't work for me and I had to sell the majority of games but I wanted to keep my seats because I love them and the people around me.

They probably just didn't take me off the list for this year.

I have been traveling a lot this year and have sold a bunch of games.. getting that letter would really pvss me off. They are your tickets to do as you please. This is outrageous.

Where did you sell your tickets? I sold my 3 games on Stubhub but that's because Stubhub gets more traffic, if I just sold them on the ticket exchange I would have ended up eating the money but the Devils clearly don't care about that as long as they get theirs.

If you got the letter in error, there is no reason to go apesh!t on them.  Just tell them that they made a mistake.

Doesn't matter because what they are doing is wrong.

If you got the letter in error, there is no reason to go apesh!t on them.  Just tell them that they made a mistake.

But why should they make him jump through hoops to keep his account?  And why even have this inane policy in the first place?  I don't know of any other pro sports team that penalizes its sth's for selling online, I'm sure there are some but this ain't exactly the market/fanbase you do it in.

But why should they make him jump through hoops to keep his account?  And why even have this inane policy in the first place?  I don't know of any other pro sports team that penalizes its sth's for selling online, I'm sure there are some but this ain't exactly the market/fanbase you do it in.

Because $$$$.  The Devils want more of it.

I don't agree with what they're doing, but it's pretty clear why.