132 replies to this topic

#121 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

No, it's not, and no they weren't.  They were a mid-budget team.  Once McMullen left YankeeNets opened the coffers and the team spent more.

I mean - there's this old article from the Times:  http://www.nytimes.c...es-to-grow.html

I imagine they were small budget when Lou was going through negotiations with Muller/Burke/etc. but as the team started winning playoff rounds consistently they got more cash to spend.

sorry - i wasn't referring to the late 80's teams. i was referring to the 90's teams. those teams spent money on their guys and didn't "go cheap".

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#122 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

In PDB's case, before I could think about canning him, I'd have to see what else is out there.  Laviolette?  He's got a solid record from a pure wins and losses standpoint, and led a team to a Cup, though the league was so screwed up in that first season back after the strike that I really don't make that much of that Cup win.  I guess you can make an argument for giving Laviolette a shot, but I don't know how much of a difference he'd ultimately make.  It would feel like change for change's sake.  Like you say, the one thing you can say in PDB's defense is his team does TRY..they may not always look good doing it, but it does look like they're trying to me.     

Re:  Lou...the two main arguments you can make for him being fired are that maybe he's simply been here too long and now it's time for a change, and that a new GM coming in here without loyalties to any of the current players might be more willing to truly shake things up.  The fact that some people do want him canned is actually a testament to how long this team has been competitive.  Missing the playoffs in potentially three out of four seasons is a major shock to a lot of Devils fans' systems, and this is Lou's first real down period in over 25 years on the job.  How GMs last even 10 years in their positions, let alone 20+? 

On one hand, you look at a guy who has Lou's insanely overall terrific track record and say "He should get a chance to turn this around."  But I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I felt 100% confident that Lou can turn this around.  I honestly don't know.  It's going to take some serious creativity to change and improve this roster, especially since there's a fair number of forwards here that don't exactly have loads of trade value.  I really hope Marty is not back next year...nothing against him, but I think his presence is becoming more overwhelming by the day, and not in a good way.  If Lou brings him back, then I think he's truly stuck in the past.  I've said that Lou keeping Marty around would be his equivalent to jumping the shark, and if that happens, I don't really know how much I can believe in him anymore. 

I also can't say that the idea of the post-Lou Devils doesn't intrigue me.  It does.  It will be such upheaval...Jesus, for just about every Devil fan, Lou practically IS the Devils!  As much as I can't imagine him not being the GM, I'm still curious about what his not being around could potentially mean.  Better?  Worse?  I'm not as afraid or saddened by the idea of chance as I am curious. 

So basically, I won't be angry if they're both back next season, but I won't be saddened if they're both gone either.  Like Tom McVie once said when he asked about being an interim coach:  "It's always on an interim basis."  Same for GMs I guess.  It's so weird to even think that Lou won't be here someday...I don't even really know how to process the idea. 

This. I'm starting to be concerned about Lou. I don't blame him at all for losing Parise or Kovy, or for failing to replace them, but I'm concerned how sentimental the Devils have gotten. When they had no young talent, I was fine with them riding the vets, for better or worse, but Volch or Sal should have been amnestied, or traded for nothing, to free up spots for the young d. If that wasn't an option, they should have traded Fayne to break up the logjam, but instead, they have good kids sitting when IMHO they need to learn to skate with the big boys. I think Lou deserves another season or two to rebuild post Kovy, but if he makes a sentimental move for Marty, he's done. Also, if we have to blame someone, and I don't know if we do, it should be Lou over PDB. I don't agree with everything DeBo's done by a long shot, but he's had a terrible group of forwards, and is still managing to win more games than he should.

Finally, it's weird seeing guys who were larger than life start to get older. It's obviously true with Marty and I'm starting to get afraid it's true with Lou. It may very well be time for both of them to go, but, much as I've liked what I've seen from Schneids, there is no way this franchise is as good with a new goalie and GM as it was with Lou and Marty in their primes. We were lucky enough to watch 2 of the all time greats, possibly the best ever at their respective jobs, work for a very long time. No matter what the future holds, we're going to be telling our grandkids about watching the Devils of Lou and Marty.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

mouse, I posted my feelings about Marty and Lou when things were looking rough in the beginning of 2012, when Marty was stuck in the .880s and looking like he was done...how it was sad to see two of the best at what they do finally succumbing to the wrath of time.  Both Lou and Marty were starting to get hammered pretty regularly.  Then it turned around...which maybe shouldn't have been that big of a surprise once Kovy and Parise hit their strides, and Clarkson enjoyed one of the most fortuitous seasons of puck luck ever.  It's actually comical that he can be called "30-goal scorer David Clarkson" and have it be TRUE. 

We know the situation with Marty...he'll never have half-seasons of .920+ play again, the way he did in 2011 and 2012.  And now he seems ticked off and cranky to boot, and I have no idea why.  Did he really want out of here that badly?  It sucks and I can't wait for that to be over.

As for Lou...I'd be stunned if he was fired, or resigned on his own, so I think he's back here next season.  We'll know very soon where his head is.  If he talks about liking his team and/or talks about bringing back Marty, I'm going to find it damned near impossible to defend him on either count. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#124 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Stevens would be a terrible coach. I cannot stress this enough.

absolutely agree, Steven should be fired for the way he handled the Defense.

#125 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

absolutely agree, Steven should be fired for the way he handled the Defense.

You mean that defense that is among the best on the league at shots against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#126 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

This. Stevens is getting better. Doesn't mean I think he'd be a good head coach -- don't know that he has the patience to deal with young players and losing, definitely doesn't have the experience, and, while to some degree assistants are there for a reason, I'd rather have somebody with a good offensive system (like DeBo actually) trying to get the most out of this team, since their weakness is forward.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

The system isn't his - they haven't overhauled anything.  If Stevens 'can't work with young players' as intimated by mouse's post, I don't see how he's a good coach for this defense that is going to be getting awfully young soon.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

IF Lou would get canned, its really not as if another GM could jump in and make miracles happen either. There's really not much we can do with what we have in term of talent and assets.

I mean there's honestly no way to recover quickly from all the talent we lost plus replace what we'll lose very soon. We'd have to sign like 2-3 top free agents every single summer lol

Edited by SterioDesign, 21 March 2014 - 05:35 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#129 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

IF Lou would get canned, its really not as if another GM could jump in and make miracles happen either. There's really not much we can do with what we have in term of talent and assets.

I mean there's honestly no way to recover quickly from all the talent we lost plus replace what we'll lose very soon. We'd have to sign like 2-3 top free agents every single summer lol

Well it's about overhauling the scouting system. A ton of teams have had success doing that. You don't bottom out, but you trust that you have the right people in place to make good selections from any position in the draft.

We can discuss Lou's future, but I don't think it ever ends with a firing. That is a scary proposition for the new owners. If the Devils continue to struggle, the last one that will face heat from fans will be Lou.

So, if Deboer does come back, and the team struggles, he'll probably get the axe. Maybe if the team struggles with a new coach, do we finally see Lou take some real blame.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#130 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Well it's about overhauling the scouting system. A ton of teams have had success doing that. You don't bottom out, but you trust that you have the right people in place to make good selections from any position in the draft.

We can discuss Lou's future, but I don't think it ever ends with a firing. That is a scary proposition for the new owners. If the Devils continue to struggle, the last one that will face heat from fans will be Lou.

So, if Deboer does come back, and the team struggles, he'll probably get the axe. Maybe if the team struggles with a new coach, do we finally see Lou take some real blame.

Which is bull. I don't know that anyone's to blame -- you don't bounce back from losing Zach and Kovy in consecutive years. If this goes on for long, then you have a problem. Right now, we're having a season that is, if anything, better than it should be. If, however, you are going to blame someone, the roster isn't very good. That's not DeBoer's fault.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#131 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Which is bull. I don't know that anyone's to blame -- you don't bounce back from losing Zach and Kovy in consecutive years. If this goes on for long, then you have a problem. Right now, we're having a season that is, if anything, better than it should be. If, however, you are going to blame someone, the roster isn't very good. That's not DeBoer's fault.

This. People around here underestimate the cumulative impact losing Parise, Kovy, and Clarkson has had on this team. This team is exactly where I thought they would be based upon this roster. He makes some curious decisions and f's with the younger players heads too much sometimes, but I don't think most coaches would have done much better with this team.
Posted Image

#132 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

This. People around here underestimate the cumulative impact losing Parise, Kovy, and Clarkson has had on this team. This team is exactly where I thought they would be based upon this roster. He makes some curious decisions and f's with the younger players heads too much sometimes, but I don't think most coaches would have done much better with this team.

I dont think we realize how losing robinson on top of that is hurting the team too.

www.SterioDesign.com

#133 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

my question is what candidate out there will make this team a winner overnight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users