268 replies to this topic

#241 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

For most of his career, yes. Brodeur was rarely a good pure puckstopper. Always a little above average. Good glove hand, but he was rarely a wall carrying a team like Roy or Hasek could be.

Brodeur actually became a better pure goalie post 2nd lockout. But in the 90's a lot of his softies killed us. Matteau, Graves, Jagr in game 6 1999. Ottawa 1998, Colorado 2001, Carolina EVERY DAMN TIME HE SEES THEM. Outplayed by Esche, outplayed by Emery...

Edited by '7', 19 March 2014 - 12:11 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#242 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Complete garbage.

#243 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

He's got the microscope on him cause he no longer deserves special treatment as a player but still gets it. If he was winning the Vezina nobody'd give a crap about his 'other side'

To be fair Marty has been unselfish monetarily for most of his career too, so there's that.

It's not like he distanced himself from everyone else...I saw "we" and "our" in his quotes.  But it would probably go a long way with many if he said something along the lines of "and I have to play better too".

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#244 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'd peddle Henrique and Larsson around for a young star player who for whatever reason his team is disgruntled with him, but I don't see this sort of deal happening.  I'd like for it to happen but don't see it.   

unless you're getting taylor hall back, i don't know who even fits this description. duchense?

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#245 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

That'll be one of the great what ifs in Devils history, cause I don't think we'll ever see that again...I definitely see at least either Larsson or Gelly gone, one way or another before next season.

What burns my *** is with Larsson-Gelly rocking that's when we had our only real sustained stretch of the season (winning five of six against GOOD competition).

Now, this IS something I blame DeBoer for. We looked like a real team when they were gelling. This is one you lose sleep over.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#246 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Tampa has a some very talented offensive prospects in Drouin, Palat, and Kucherov..maybe Drouin and Palat make Kucherov expendable?

Not sure I'd want to trade Henrique and Larsson for him though.  

And, for the record, I'm on the "sell high on Gelinas" boat - he had a good rookie season, maybe GMs will look at the statistics and not realize he's awful defensively.  Bring back a forward prospect for him.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 19 March 2014 - 12:38 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#247 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I want Stevens gone.  The idiotic decisions on defense have really started with his coming aboard.  Why was Tallinder sat so much last year and Volchenkov used so much last year?  (I exempt Salvador because he's captain).  Why is Eric Gelinas throwing hits ever?  Who is telling him to do that and why?  We heard a comment from Gelinas or someone via Gulitti that they wanted Gelinas to be more physical.  He's not a physical player.  He definitely needs to be more physical in front of the net - without question, that's where he needs to take the man more often.  But I see him throwing hits along the boards or in spots where a hit is totally unneeded.  Why?  Whatever coach taught him to do this, or couldn't get him to stop doing it, should be out of the NJ organization.  He's not Anton Volchenkov.  And even Volchenkov is too often unsuccessful on his hit attempts.

I could not agree more with this post. Stevens can be brought in to do motivational speeches once a year. Other than that I have never had any faith in him as a coach, I shook my head when they gave him his current role, and by now I just have a headache. It's like the Devils have forgotten how to let players be themselves and develop their talents. Every young D-man has to be a Stevens or he's out (a la Larsson) and if you're an offensive-minded forward, you have no place on the Devils.

Ultimately, NJ made the biggest mistakes teams make coming back from championship or near-championship runs - thinking that everyone who had the magic for those awesome two months has the magic permanently.  So we're treated to Salvador and Gionta and Bernier and Zubrus and Brodeur.

QFT. This was the epitome of Lou's status quo. We all knew it going in to last year: our team couldn't do what they did again, no way. And we made absolutely no upgrades, ZERRRRROOOOO, and on top of that lost Zach Parise. 

Also, now that I'm frustrated, in hindsight I have to scream, WHAT THE fvck DID WE DO TO ZHARKOV?

#248 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

unless you're getting taylor hall back, i don't know who even fits this description. duchense?

Duchene isn't going anywhere.  Taylor Hall likely isn't either.  Again, I'm not sure on who would come back for such a package.  Eberle + something small?  Jeff Skinner?  Shame Jeff Skinner is killing it this year.  Someone who's legit and who is on a good contract.

Also Henrique to wing permanently needs to happen.  The guy has 20 assists over the last two years, the writing is on the wall, he doesn't make plays for other people.

As for DeBoer, I like him but I think this team needs fresh eyes - he's just not able to see what's going on, and this team is going to need a coach who can see that Zubrus and Salvador and guys like this are shot.

Edited by Triumph, 19 March 2014 - 01:04 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#249 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Duchene isn't going anywhere.  Taylor Hall likely isn't either.  Again, I'm not sure on who would come back for such a package.  Eberle + something small?  Jeff Skinner?  Shame Jeff Skinner is killing it this year.  Someone who's legit and who is on a good contract.

Also Henrique to wing permanently needs to happen.  The guy has 20 assists over the last two years, the writing is on the wall, he doesn't make plays for other people.

As for DeBoer, I like him but I think this team needs fresh eyes - he's just not able to see what's going on, and this team is going to need a coach who can see that Zubrus and Salvador and guys like this are shot.

i would be unhappy with skinner for henrique + larsson. too much.

i agree on henrique to wing - and i think the devils do as well. getting another center will help there.

i'm not convinced another coach other than lemaire (haha) can do anything with zubrus and salvador

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#250 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

It'll be interesting what Lou or any new coach (if there is one) does if Salvador is on the team next year. Having a new coach come in and scratch the captain right away takes a bold motherf'er. 

Fresh eyes could be nice, but you can only do so much as a head coach with the players you are given. If Lou doesn't clear his head and see things clearly, what can any new coach do?

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#251 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I could not agree more with this post. Stevens can be brought in to do motivational speeches once a year. Other than that I have never had any faith in him as a coach, I shook my head when they gave him his current role, and by now I just have a headache. It's like the Devils have forgotten how to let players be themselves and develop their talents. Every young D-man has to be a Stevens or he's out (a la Larsson) and if you're an offensive-minded forward, you have no place on the Devils.

QFT. This was the epitome of Lou's status quo. We all knew it going in to last year: our team couldn't do what they did again, no way. And we made absolutely no upgrades, ZERRRRROOOOO, and on top of that lost Zach Parise. 

Also, now that I'm frustrated, in hindsight I have to scream, WHAT THE fvck DID WE DO TO ZHARKOV?

Stevens can't even do motivational speeches. He lead by example, which is useless in coaching. It's a shame Robinson decided to move out west.

As for Zharkov, he's still being useless in Russia right now. He would just add to the long list of people who can't score goals for the Devils if he were here.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#252 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Well, I think Lou should be given the benefit of the doubt on moves that need to be made.

Tri pointed out a few whether it be Pando, Brylin, Kovy or even the Schneider trade. He saw things that needed to happen and did it. He may have been guilty of what Tri mentioned above too, the playoff success reward-a-thon, but that's long gone now.

I want Stevens gone.

I'm still unsure of whether it's 100% I want Pete fired. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. His entire offense left to free agency. I'm giving Pete the benefit of another training camp and start to next season - but hopefully with a younger/better team. If they start out with bad, fire his ass by Halloween for all I care. But the softie in me thinks he's done a good enough job to warrant the start of another season.

#253 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Been thinking about Zubrus, and is there a shot, although his TOI was lower as of late - did we burn him out playing him on the top line for most of the season? Is it possible, he needs a summer off, and a smaller role on the 4th line next season?

I'd say maybe, BUT, Clowe and Zubrus cannot be in the bottom 6 together - it's redundant. I think Zubrus can be effective for another team, but not at the current salary and to us. If somehow we can trade Salvador (retain salary) and buy-out Zubrus, I think it could be a net-gain for the team.

#254 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Eberle-Stastny (over pay, I don't care how much)-Boucher

Elias-Zajac-Jagr

Brunner-xxx-Clowe

Sislo-(eh gionta)-Ruutu

Is this possible?

Larsson and Henrique for Eberle + xxxxx

Greene-Fayne

Merrill-Gelinas

Volchenov-Zid

Is this possible?

#255 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Been thinking about Zubrus, and is there a shot, although his TOI was lower as of late - did we burn him out playing him on the top line for most of the season? Is it possible, he needs a summer off, and a smaller role on the 4th line next season?

I'd say maybe, BUT, Clowe and Zubrus cannot be in the bottom 6 together - it's redundant. I think Zubrus can be effective for another team, but not at the current salary and to us. If somehow we can trade Salvador (retain salary) and buy-out Zubrus, I think it could be a net-gain for the team.

Can't be done.  Zubrus is a 35+ contract, a buyout saves them money but does nothing for his cap hit.  Salvador they can use their compliance buyout on because he was signed before the lockout - Zubrus was signed afterwards so they can't do that.  So they'd have to do it in the reverse order or not at all.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#256 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Stevens can't even do motivational speeches. He lead by example, which is useless in coaching. It's a shame Robinson decided to move out west.

Can he at least come to the season ticket holder meet-and-greet?

As for Zharkov, he's still being useless in Russia right now. He would just add to the long list of people who can't score goals for the Devils if he were here.

It's more of a "why was buried while he was here?" kind of thing. But that was a cry out of frustration, I don't mean to rehash the debate.

#257 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

6 players at the practice today.  No captain, no regulars besides Brunner, Bernier, Volch and Cory.

Think Stevens would've allowed players to skip a practice after that sh!t-show poor effort against Boston?

I wonder if Salvador actually commands respect in the lockerroom.  This team needs new leadership so desperately.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#258 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Think Stevens would've allowed players to skip a practice after that sh!t-show poor effort against Boston?

Clearly yes, because Stevens is an assistant coach.

#259 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Clearly yes, because Stevens is an assistant coach.

Walked right into that one, didn't I?  

believe-ll.jpg

#260 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

They have a 4-in-6 coming up, you can't expect everyone to be at an optional skate one of the two non playing days. Besides some of them might be worn out as it is with Pete's short bench and shorter fuse with certain players.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users