#261 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Walked right into that one, didn't I?  

To be fair to you, players were certainly a lot more scared of Stevens than of Salvador. This locker room has been too comfortable for years. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#262 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

They have a 4-in-6 coming up, you can't expect everyone to be at an optional skate one of the two non playing days. Besides some of them might be worn out as it is with Pete's short bench and shorter fuse with certain players.

I guess you needed to get a jab in somewhere, There hasn't been a short bench that would be different than any team in the league for a while now. Yes, he did get Gelinas off the ice with the leading the 3rd a few games ago, and didn't play the 4th line much down against Tampa. But that's to be expected.

Time on ice was pretty balanced last night. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#263 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Lou has lost all credibility are far as I am concerned. Pete and Stevens should be fired after the season ends. Lou must retire. Owners need to step up and produce a winner, they have the money but not the interest. Henrique and Elais need to stay together next season. Larsson needs to be given one more year. Zubrus should never be more than a 4th line player. Clowe I am not convinced he belongs but willing to give him another try. Ruutu, Zajac and Jagr are together all season as a solid line. Ryder I think we have seen enough he goes. Brunner maybe another year. Gionta and Bernier should be gone. Carter gets another year. Salvador must go. Keep Fayne. Merriel and Gelinas back to Albany next season. Broucher back in Albany next season. Harrold must be gone. Zidlicky another year. Greene stays. Volchenkov stays for another year. Now fill in the blanks with out Lou Lam in charge. Anything less than this find another team to root for because 3 out of 4 years missing the playoffs are bunch of losers. I didn't mention NO Marty Brodeur on the NJ Devils next season.], he must be gone. Don't extend Cory's contract this summer, we must suffer through another Lou FU, maybe, lets find out without the Brodeur Drama.

Marty has hurt this team this season as has Lou, IMO.

#264 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Lou has lost all credibility are far as I am concerned. Pete and Stevens should be fired after the season ends. Lou must retire. Owners need to step up and produce a winner, they have the money but not the interest. Henrique and Elais need to stay together next season. Larsson needs to be given one more year. Zubrus should never be more than a 4th line player. Clowe I am not convinced he belongs but willing to give him another try. Ruutu, Zajac and Jagr are together all season as a solid line. Ryder I think we have seen enough he goes. Brunner maybe another year. Gionta and Bernier should be gone. Carter gets another year. Salvador must go. Keep Fayne. Merriel and Gelinas back to Albany next season. Broucher back in Albany next season. Harrold must be gone. Zidlicky another year. Greene stays. Volchenkov stays for another year. Now fill in the blanks with out Lou Lam in charge. Anything less than this find another team to root for because 3 out of 4 years missing the playoffs are bunch of losers. I didn't mention NO Marty Brodeur on the NJ Devils next season.], he must be gone. Don't extend Cory's contract this summer, we must suffer through another Lou FU, maybe, lets find out without the Brodeur Drama.

Marty has hurt this team this season as has Lou, IMO.

One thing you're overlooking is that 75% of those players have contracts next year lol

#265 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

To be fair to you, players were certainly a lot more scared of Stevens than of Salvador. This locker room has been too comfortable for years. 

Which players are scared of their captains around the league? Which locker room is not comfortable. Maybe comfortable is a good thing? I really don't know, but I think a loose team sounds good. This response isn't directed at you but in general.

The mythification(?) of Stevens or the role of the captain is so ridiculous. What happened to the Devils in 96, 98, 1999, 2001, 2002 with Stevens as the captain? No one knows what Stevens did or didn't do.  Salvador is a bad captain only in the sense that he isn't very good and won't be scratched because of it. 

Philly is flying right now...is that because of the leadership of Claude Giroux or did they suck and have a coach fired because of the leadership of Claude Giroux..I forget. The Rangers aren't too bad. Must be the leadership of Mr. Vacant. What a captain Phaneuf is in Toronto or Stamkos in Tampa Bay. Honestly, who the fvck cares who the captain is.

If the players thought it was so important to be at practice today, maybe former Captain, Stanley Cup winner and teammate of Scott Stevens...Patrik Elias...could have spoken up and told everyone to be there. Maybe HOF goalie who called everyone out...Martin Brodeur...could have told everyone to be there. Maybe, veteran forward and the man that called the Devils performance, "horsesh!t"...Ryan Clowe...could have told people to come to practice.  Or Jagr or Zubrus or Greene, etc.  

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#266 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,855 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Which players are scared of their captains around the league? Which locker room is not comfortable. Maybe comfortable is a good thing? I really don't know, but I think a loose team sounds good. This response isn't directed at you but in general.

The mythification(?) of Stevens or the role of the captain is so ridiculous. What happened to the Devils in 96, 98, 1999, 2001, 2002 with Stevens as the captain? No one knows what Stevens did or didn't do.  Salvador is a bad captain only in the sense that he isn't very good and won't be scratched because of it. 

Philly is flying right now...is that because of the leadership of Claude Giroux or did they suck and have a coach fired because of the leadership of Claude Giroux..I forget. The Rangers aren't too bad. Must be the leadership of Mr. Vacant. What a captain Phaneuf is in Toronto or Stamkos in Tampa Bay. Honestly, who the fvck cares who the captain is.

If the players thought it was so important to be at practice today, maybe former Captain, Stanley Cup winner and teammate of Scott Stevens...Patrik Elias...could have spoken up and told everyone to be there. Maybe HOF goalie who called everyone out...Martin Brodeur...could have told everyone to be there. Maybe, veteran forward and the man that called the Devils performance, "horsesh!t"...Ryan Clowe...could have told people to come to practice.  Or Jagr or Zubrus or Greene, etc.  

+1.  For years I have thought that the title or role of team Captain was very much overstated.  I think fans care about it more than the players themselves. 

#267 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Somewhat agreed but you're overstating my statement. All I was saying is that Stevens instilled more fear off (and on) the ice than Salvador does. To me there's a level of comfort that is good and a level where maybe the team needs some more edge. This team gives it their all - I don't buy the 'no heart' stuff - but players should be somewhat scared to be out of position or to not bring it every night. We might not know the nuances of Stevens's actions as a captain but he certainly provided that.

As far as sucking or not sucking being blamed on the captain, well...of course it shouldn't and I haven't scapegoated Sal for one second and nor do I think he is much more responsible for this team's failures than any other player on the team. My comment was on him as a captain.

And your last point is true - we need our best players to be our best players and leaders and this season they have not been.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#268 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

You don't need the captain to be a hard-ass...but if he's not then you kind of need the coach to be a hard-ass, which Pete can be (albeit behind closed doors) sometimes.  But overall as an organization we seem to be content with trying and having 'bad luck'.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#269 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

im sick of hearing the words "bad luck" .. how about lack of talent.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users