#1 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

http://nhl.si.com/20...evils-penguins/

Former NHLer Petr Sykora retired on Monday, according to a Czech website.

The two-time Stanley Cup winner hasn’t played in the NHL since 2011-12 or in a game this season in Europe. He last skated in the Swiss League during in 2012-13.

According to the report, Sykora was waiting for an NHL offer, but didn’t pick one up, so he called it quits during the weekend.

Sykora finished his NHL career where it started — in New Jersey with the Devils, for whom he played almost seven seasons before bounced around the league with the Ducks, Rangers, Oilers, Wild and Penguins, ending up with 323 goals, 398 assists and eight 50-plus point seasons.

Sykora’s best campaign was 2000-01 when he recorded 81 points, including 35 goals, in 73 games. Along with his NHL career, he spent some time in the KHL and Czech Leagues, and played for the Czech Republic Olympic team in 2002.

A great Devil and one hell of a piece in our 2011 - 2012 season. Thought we should have a thread to commemorate his career. Kudos to HFBoards for some of these great memories:

eliasarnottsykora.jpg

10005190-large.jpg

stanley-2000.jpg?w=640

petrsykora-njd-nhl-600.jpg?w=600&h=400

WhiffHug.gif

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

loved sykora from the start when he was on the "hells angels" line with stumpy and guerin.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#3 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

This was a returning Devil that really really worked. Not too many have, The funny thing is that Lou probably should have given him a 1-year deal last off-season, but thought someone within the organization or Mr. Plan B could fill the void. That never happened. Not even when he tried to bring back another ex-Devil in Ponikarovsky.

Great career. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Geez, I kind of want to forget the days when blond hilights was an acceptable mens' fashion.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#5 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

I will never forget the chemistry of the A-line. Elias and Sykora especially had some incredible connections on the ice. It was nice that he was able to come back for a year to say goodbye and to call NJ his "home."

Well done Petr. The 2000 Stanley Cup win would not have been possible without you, especially game 6 where your spirit had the guys playing with a fire in their hearts. You will be remembered in Devils lore forever. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#6 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,280 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

In '95-'96, for a while he WAS the Devils' offense, and as a rookie to boot, before hitting the wall. 

A-Line was so much fun, in both 2000 and 2001.  There are days I'd almost like to watch the 00-01 season from beginning to end, game by game, because damn that team was so much fun to watch (though Ranger fans still insisted they were boring).

Understood why the line was broken up with the Arnott deal and later the Sykora trade.  They were invisible on the road in 2001-02, and disappeared after an awesome start (think Arnott had 13 points after the first 7 GP or something like that).  Both deals paid off in a huge way in 02-03, and I don't second-guess those deals one bit.  There's a small part of me that wonders what would've happened if they had gotten that season to find their magic again.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#7 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Syk was a good Devil. Hope he enjoys retirement.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#8 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

I actually liked him better than Elias initially. Obviously, Elias is now one of my all time favorites, in a way Sykkie isn't, but that's not a negative on Sykkie. A great Devil, who was a star of 1 Cup team and another finalist, and a key cog on another team that ran to the finals.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#9 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Will always remember being sucked into hockey watching the A Line and being mesmerized as an eight year old

#10 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

great part of the devils history.. glad to say he was a part of this team
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#11 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Completely undervalued player in my book. He was a great player for a number of years and I don't think he really gets noticed as same too often.

Congrats, man. 

#12 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

I remember having him autograph a jersey for me during a sth meet.  He was just beginning, didn't speak much English and was such a shy kid.  Thnx for the memories.  Enjoy your retirement. :beerbang:

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#13 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I lump him with Guerin and Gomez as players who could have developed into greatness but hd their judgement clouded by an oversized sense of entitlement.   Elias made him practice plays and learn the game.  As a  result became successful as a "scorer" and thought he was too big for the other parts of the game.   Waste of potential.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#14 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

I lump him with Guerin and Gomez as players who could have developed into greatness but hd their judgement clouded by an oversized sense of entitlement.   Elias made him practice plays and learn the game.  As a  result became successful as a "scorer" and thought he was too big for the other parts of the game.   Waste of potential.

What is this madness?

Sykora was over .7ppg in his career playing mostly in the DPE.  Not everyone can be Patrik Elias in terms of ability and hockey sense. 

#15 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

What is this madness?

Sykora was over .7ppg in his career playing mostly in the DPE.  Not everyone can be Patrik Elias in terms of ability and hockey sense. 

A lot of good his ppg stats got him in getting him a job in the NHL his last several seasons, where he had to beg to play in the NHL.

My point was if he had a better attitude, he could have become a much more versatile and valuable player and extended his career and a better championship resume.   Instead he went for short term gain and long term disappointment.  Waste of potential.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#16 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Great part of one of the greatest lines the Devils and even the NHL has ever seen. Happy Retirement Sykora!

Put food on my family

#17 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

A lot of good his ppg stats got him in getting him a job in the NHL his last several seasons, where he had to beg to play in the NHL.

My point was if he had a better attitude, he could have become a much more versatile and valuable player and extended his career and a better championship resume.   Instead he went for short term gain and long term disappointment.  Waste of potential.

Sykora scored 323 goals - he was a scorer.  He was never good along the boards, he wasn't a tremendously crafty player otherwise, but he could shoot the puck.  Even in his last 4 full seasons he averaged over 20 goals a season, and there's not many players for whom that's true.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#18 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I've also heard rumors over the years from more than 1 person who said that back when the A-line was around, Arnott and Elias were pretty good friends but Sykora and Elias not really (especially after their 2000 cup win).  Since they were Czech the media lumped them together as "pals" but in reality they were just teammates for the most part.

#19 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,065 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Not everyone's made to be a two way player. Even when Kovy 'tried' to play defense and learn how to backcheck better, the results were mixed at best so no I don't imagine Syk would have been much better had he adopted a two way mindset. He lasted 15 years in the league and won two Cups, that's a pretty good career.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#20 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Sykie was alot of fun, part of the SEA Monster line ( ok everyone else called the A Line) Possibly the only time a Devs line was called best in the NHL by the so called experts!!

Good Luck to him...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users