27 replies to this topic

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

That's a nicer way of saying I'm tired of all this 'bad luck' bs.  This team doesn't have bad luck, they have bad talent made worse by bizarre personnel decisions.

Besides starting Marty too much this year, the personnel decisions, at least if you're talking about players in the system, aren't really the issue.  Not having Larsson here, or sitting Josefson too much would not have made the team much better, at least in the short term. 

What we are is a team that will be in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference playoff bracket if most things go right.  If most things go wrong, we're comfortably out of the playoffs.  For a team that lost its two best forwards in the past two years, and hasn't been in the lucky sperm club so far as getting a top three draft pick in the right year, it's not that bad. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#22 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Could we afford to go the Pittsburgh way?  Tank it for a couple of years and get 1st rounders?  Maybe.

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Could we afford to go the Pittsburgh way?  Tank it for a couple of years and get 1st rounders?  Maybe.

It was more than a couple.  Takes a LOT of tanking to get two #1s and two #2s overall. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

The Pens were also lucky enough to do it at a time when there was a Crosby and Malkin in the draft classes. If you are going to tank, you better be aiming at a prodigy; a team changer.

IMO a Nathan MacKinnon quality player is not worth a tank.

Edited by Neb00rs, 20 March 2014 - 01:48 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#25 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

The Pens were also lucky enough to do it at a time when there was a Crosby and Malkin in the draft classes. If you are going to tank, you better be aiming at a prodigy; a team changer.

IMO a Nathan MacKinnon quality player is not worth a tank.

Connor McDavid is apparently the real deal.  Do you think he's worth it?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Connor McDavid is apparently the real deal.  Do you think he's worth it?

It sounds like he could be a generational player and that his "floor" would be someone like Tavares.  That being said, a reasonably good team that has a shot at the playoffs should not "tank" under any circumstances.  I suppose though if come February or March 2015 the Devils are in Edmonton territory of suckage, it might be time to, shall we say, give the younger players a long look.  Still, with the lottery system it doesn't tanking doesn't guarantee anything.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#27 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Tanking is weak. 

Teams that have won the cup should never resort to tanking. A year or two of re-tooling is all this team really needs IMO.

#28 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Let's get some perspective here and not sh!t all over the OP.  Yes, for the most part hockey is like poker in the sense that the phrase "It's luck in the short term and skill in the long term" applies, but I think his message was just to point out the fact that, in general, it is a little glaring to see that besides not being very talented and skillful, we aren't getting many great bounces and good fortune.   Why is this important?  Because there are definitely a few teams each year that, while maybe not the most talented, get a few bounces going there way (read: good fortune) and end up making the playoffs.  We could very well be one of those teams this year, had a shootout or two gone our way or a few pucks at the end of a couple games not gone in, but that just wasn't the case and here we are finding ourselves 5pts back of the last wild card spot instead of perhaps tied for that last spot.

With that said, I do agree that age is a pretty big factor as to why we've faltered for the past two years.  I also think it's DeBoer's fault.  I think our terrible start this year was inexcusable and I was calling for his firing in October.  It's tough because I think he strategizes a good game, but I agree with pretty much everyone else here that his call-ups/send-downs and erratic line juggling is asinine and aggravating to say the least.

On the flipside, anyone who thinks goaltending, particularly Brodeur, is to blame for our lack of success the past two years is nuts and they need to look at the obvious low-hanging fruit.  Not saying he (or Schneider for that matter), are without blame, because they definitely can be criticized, but this team was DEAD LAST in goals scored last year, and tied for 28th this year.  Only Nashville (3 behind us) and Buffalo (who is a scoring anomaly this year) have scored fewer goals than us.

5, 10 and even 15 years ago we could get away with that when we had stellar goaltending from Marty and whoever his backup was at the time, but now that we're in transition to the post-Marty era and neither he nor the guys he's splitting time with (Hedberg, Schneider, et al) have been as lights-out as he was during that stretch of 5-10-15 years, we end up in this not-so-fun, missing-the-playoffs purgatory.  :(

I also don't think Lou is to blame for all of this.  He tried.  What more do people want?  At some point it has to fall on the players.  Yes, Ryder has been a pretty big disappointment.  Clowe as well.  Brunner was hurt for a little while, but he probably has more production to give as well.  And as much as I like Zajac, he's making WAYYY too much money to provide only 15-20 goals a year.  The money he earns says he should be putting up 25-30. 

When you look at our roster, it's pretty pathetic and the only guy any other team would covet when it comes to scoring ability, age, and price tag, is Henrique. 

I guess without continuing to ramble I just wanted to say it's no mystery why we're, in all likelihood, about to miss the playoffs....again. :(

Edited by NJDfan1711, 20 March 2014 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users